Those who pre plan their meals/calories. Pet peeve

Options
13»

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, but people here in the US eat weird stuff, too. Bison has become fairly popular, and as a kid I lived in a place where hunting was big and we ate bear, elk, deer, etc. In some parts they eat alligator, opossum, etc.

It sounds pretty gross to me now, but I guess if it moves, someone's gonna eat it. That includes ostrich, snakes, squirrel, whatever. {shudder}

I grew up in a hunting family in East Texas, so deer, wild boar, rabbits, and even squirrels were on the menu at times. Squirrel is actually very good cooked with rice or dumplings. It is a dark meat, kinda like duck. You just have to forget it is in the rodent family. Note, I haven't eaten any game meat in years, however I do miss deer meat. And I have had rattlesnake as well. Tastes like a cross between chicken and fish, like froglegs. Yes, I have eaten those also.

But Kangaroos are just too cute to eat. They seem more like pets to me. :happy:
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Might be time for a more appreciative and supportive partner.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I can usually find something analogous to what I was planning - and I always cut my meal in half at the outset. It's worked out so far.
  • mlouise62
    mlouise62 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I find I still cave a little too easily on this. I'll have a quinoa tofu zucchini dish planned and my bf will say, "How about pizza?" and that'll be it. I can't really blame him but I do regret it sometimes. On the other hand, I want to be part of real life and not let what I eat completely control my life or prevent me from doing things with others. I'm trying to control the obsession that MFP and dieting in general can bring out, and I want to make this a sustainable lifestyle. That has to include social plans with friends that might include food.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I need to get better at planning. Mostly, I just go meal to meal and put it together on the spot. The up side is that I'm really flexible.
  • mlouise62
    mlouise62 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I pre-plan my meals as well, but I don't think it's necessary to be so rigid that you miss out on time with family and friends. All restaurants offer healthy options, so just make good choices when you eat out.
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Don't stress the little things - some people's pet peeve is their significant others never want to do anything with them, yours does. Don't think of it as an ulterior motive, just a nice evening out. If it happens too often, a polite no thank you would probably work. You can always edit your food entry.
  • HoikyMcDoyle
    HoikyMcDoyle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is just aching to be made into a 'first world problems' meme...
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I pre-plan a fair bit and I have to say that if you're following a plan that does not allow for flexibility or for you to free live your life you're on the wrong plan.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I make sure to eat a really healthy lunch. Then if something comes up for dinner, go with the flow. If you had already planned to eat something then, eat it for lunch or dinner the next day. If he wants to go for pizza, order a salad and enjoy a slice with him. Or enjoy 2 slices and ENJOY! You are human....enjoy your food. It won't kill you. :)

If that's not working, start preparing 2 servings ahead of time so that you have dinner ready for both of you. Adjust it so that there are things that he enjoys eating with the meal, but that you don't feel obligated to eat so much of. If he's a meat and potatoes guy, make the standard meat, starch and veggies...give yourself a serving each of the meat and starch, then fill up on veggies.
  • mollylookalike
    mollylookalike Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm in a long distance relationship and only see my boyfriend every two weeks or so. I pre-plan all the meals I can when I'm home, and try to make good choices when I'm with him so that I'm not stressing out because he literally only has pickles and beer in his fridge. We do go grocery shopping together when I get there or he gets here, and of course, he gets what he wants (chips, soda, etc) and I get what I want to snack on (he doesn't eat regular meals - usually one big meal a day, which REALLY throws me off) like baby carrots, bell peppers, and almonds.

Also, when I'm not with him, I pretty much require my friends to make plans ahead of time so I can figure out what I'm going to eat at the designated spot. If you don't make plans, you don't fit into my schedule. :)
  • lindajay49
    Options
    My 2-cents worth here. As important as losing weight is to me - I'm recently diagnosed diabetic - it comes second after our relationship. I, also, pre-plan all my meals, but if my husband suggests "Let's grab a bite," I always say "Great!" So far I have not gone to a place where I can't get a meal that meets my caloric (and carb) needs. Often I take half home. Sometimes I eat the main entree and leave the side(s). Sometimes I order from the appetizers menu. Sometimes I just get a salad and then finish out my calories at home later. But by enjoying the time together with my husband, I thereby maintain, both, a wonderful relationship AND my diet. One doesn't have to be sacrificed for the other. Don't get tunnel vision. For me, 43 years of marriage to my hubby and 28 lbs. lost in just under 4 months are two pretty good indicators that it's all working!

(And before someone thinks that my husband needs to be more supportive - he is. IF I would say, "I'd rather not go out tonight," he'd understand and say "Okay." But I don't make a habit of that.)
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Do Aussies seriously eat kangaroo, or were you just trying to be stereotypically cliche? Where can I get some? Color me intrigued...

Sure. Can be bought from the meat section of any major grocery store.

Even as a New Zealander I kind of find this weird. It'd be like roasting up a kiwi in the oven for dinner. Next time I got to Oz though, I'm going to give Kangaroo meat a go.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

I visited Australia 3 years ago, and did try kangaroo steaks...it is cooked BARELY, leaving it mostly raw, and I do like rare steaks, so at first it wasn't a problem...it is cut maybe 2 inches thick, at first tastes ok, but a little strange, but by the time you get abut 3/4 of the way thru, it starts tasting rather gross....I won't be having it again.....
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, but people here in the US eat weird stuff, too. Bison has become fairly popular, and as a kid I lived in a place where hunting was big and we ate bear, elk, deer, etc. In some parts they eat alligator, opossum, etc.

It sounds pretty gross to me now, but I guess if it moves, someone's gonna eat it. That includes ostrich, snakes, squirrel, whatever. {shudder}

Squirrel spaghetti!.... Not as bad as it sounds. Found this out when the BF went to the mountains for small game last year :smile:
  • Amber1070
    Amber1070 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I hate that too! I just say "no another time" if I can't make it work. I know what restaurants I can eat at and my choices. So I guess I've pre planned that as well lol
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

I can make the best alligator sauce picant!! Alligator is quite good, actually! So is armadillo, but I recommend against eating armadillo, as it carries leprosy… even the farmed ones…

That shouldn't be a problem, as long as it's cooked through. Leprosy can't survive an oven. :)
    By golly, you are right!!! I can eat armadillo again!!

http://www.ehow.com/how_8672083_clean-armadillos.html

*Confetti!* Here ya go.

http://www.cajuncookingrecipes.com/wildgamerecipes/baked_or_barbecued_armadillo.htm