Atkins?????

Options

Replies

• dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bugs me about Dr Atkins' suggested diet plan of heavy fats and proteins concerns his autopsy report. He died of blunt trauma to his head after a very unfortunate fall.

He was autopsied to see if he had suffered an attack which caused his fall.

The doctors reported he had severe cardiac disease and was most likely going to need a heart bypass operation in the near future.

This is what scares me about his diet -- he was a walking legacy of this program, and yet he was riddled with clogged veins.

It's hard for me not to see the hypocrisy and irony in his situation.

Atkins made me so ill I ended up in hospital.

Slow and steady wins the race.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bugs me about Dr Atkins' suggested diet plan of heavy fats and proteins concerns his autopsy report. He died of blunt trauma to his head after a very unfortunate fall.

The doctors reported he had severe cardiac disease and was most likely going to need a heart bypass operation in the near future.

This is what scares me about his diet -- he was a walking legacy of this program, and yet he was riddled with clogged veins.

Atkins made me so ill I ended up in hospital.

Slow and steady wins the race.

It's not for everyone. This is the second time i'm doing it (First time I obviously didn't stick to the lifestyle) it worked fine for me , and I felt great. Didn't get sick & had a ton of energy. Everyone is different, though.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

Excuse me, but you are still buying into media hype.

Dr Atkins heart issues were NOT caused from his way of eating, it was MOST likely caused from a virus. He didn't have ANY blockages, so there was NO need for any bypass surgeries in the near future if he had survived that fall.

His own Dr said he had an extraordinarily HEALTHY cardiovascular system.

Please read below..........

In 2000, Dr. Atkins developed cardiomyopathy, an incurable heart condition which has quite a few different causes. His was thought to be from a viral illness, and his physician stated at the time that there was no evidence that his diet contributed to the condition. His coronary arteries were reported to have been checked at that time and found to be free of blockages.
    Cardiomyopathy makes it more likely that a person will have a cardiac arrest (heart stopping), which happened to him two years later. Again, the cardiac arrest was not thought to be diet related.

His cardiologist stated that (other than the cardiomyopathy), Atkins had "an extraordinarily healthy cardiovascular system". News report about that incident.

There is still a lot of controversy surrounding Dr Atkins' health and his cause of death. I looked on snopes.com and they are inconclusive about his cause of death. My thoughts are such: while healthy fats are good, and while I did experience a cholesterol plummet while still enjoying my bacon, eggs, cheese, etc., I do NOT believe that heavy fats and "healthy veins" go hand in hand. This is a heavily debated topic in the medical community, and I am willing to look at BOTH sides of the issue. People need to remain cautiously optimistic and diligent when it comes to such serious topics as this.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

Excuse me, but you are still buying into media hype.

Dr Atkins heart issues were NOT caused from his way of eating, it was MOST likely caused from a virus. He didn't have ANY blockages, so there was NO need for any bypass surgeries in the near future if he had survived that fall.

His own Dr said he had an extraordinarily HEALTHY cardiovascular system.

Please read below..........

In 2000, Dr. Atkins developed cardiomyopathy, an incurable heart condition which has quite a few different causes. His was thought to be from a viral illness, and his physician stated at the time that there was no evidence that his diet contributed to the condition. His coronary arteries were reported to have been checked at that time and found to be free of blockages.
    Cardiomyopathy makes it more likely that a person will have a cardiac arrest (heart stopping), which happened to him two years later. Again, the cardiac arrest was not thought to be diet related.

His cardiologist stated that (other than the cardiomyopathy), Atkins had "an extraordinarily healthy cardiovascular system". News report about that incident.

There is still a lot of controversy surrounding Dr Atkins' health and his cause of death. I looked on snopes.com and they are inconclusive about his cause of death. My thoughts are such: while healthy fats are good, and while I did experience a cholesterol plummet while still enjoying my bacon, eggs, cheese, etc., I do NOT believe that heavy fats and "healthy veins" go hand in hand. This is a heavily debated topic in the medical community, and I am willing to look at BOTH sides of the issue. People need to remain cautiously optimistic and diligent when it comes to such serious topics as this.

HOWEVER. if I had to chose "a" diet plan (but I'm leery of all of them), I would chose Atkins over, say, USANA, or cabbage soup, or the bazillion others that are out there. Only because I like bacon too much to give up.

I prefer the logic behind the Paleo way of eating -- eat like our ancestors, who ate foods before the age of agriculture. To me, wheats, grains, and processed foods are the enemies here -- not meat.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Buy the latest book.

Buy the ORIGINAL book.

This.

Also, since I love to be the bearer of bad news, if you aren't exercising, you aren't doing Atkins. So says the original book. Read it and weep. I did! Then I recorded it as exercise, 20 calories.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    but wouldn't you rather eat a well rounded diet and not cut something out.

Good heavens, NO! I don't like health food. Yuk! I'm a carnivore - pure and simple. I can force down a salad if it 's just lettuce (but not iceburg), and I do LOVE fresh tomatoes in season. I can eat a potato if I first add a lot of salt, some pepper, a wad of butter (at least 2-3Tbl) , and a huge gob of sour cream. I prefer them loaded twice baked. Rice? I have some in my emergency food closet, but not in my kitchen. Grains? Really? No thanks. Whole wheat bread sucks. Give me fressh-baked still-warm white bread like my mother (and I) used to make, and I can slather it with real butter and have myself a real treat. But is that nutritious? Actually, its fattening. Especially when used to make tomato sandwiches slathered with mayo.

Some of us do not enjoy food that you like and a diet that addresses our preference is a wonderful thing.
  • wigglingalltheway
    Options
    Hi,

I have started the low carb revolution recommendations and I can't really see the downsides at the moment. I am eating wholesome, varied, veg, meat and fish all from the low Gl index. Only a week in but after the first few days (I went cold turkey) the weight is dropping off with ease. Highly recommended if you are dedicated enough to just cut out bread/rice/pasta/root vegs/anything else that is man made such as breakfast cereals.
  • BrittKnee_Rae
    BrittKnee_Rae Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've done phase 1 alreadyu. Dropped 15 lbs in 10 days. Lost steadily for a bout 3 weeks now I'm stuck. I've been reading. Seems like I need to increase my fat in my diet. This seems so crazy to me but thousands of people do it everyday right?

Yes!! Sounds crazy... Feels crazy!! But you don't want to deprive your body more.. I know from experience!! I did induction for about 7 months, when I got on Atkins I stopped using MFP and I would count my carbs manually.. Atkins tells you not to worry about calories, so I didn't.. One day I logged all my food onto MPF, just out of curiosity, and had only eaten 900 cals for the entire day!! With out realizing it, I had slipped back into my low cal eating habits along with low carbing! Plus hitting up the gym 5-6 days a week! Once I noticed I was kinda freaked out, started logging my food religiously and made sure to eat around 1400 cals a day. Atkins is High fat/high protein/low carb, I had forgotten that..
  • BrittKnee_Rae
    BrittKnee_Rae Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have started the low carb revolution recommendations and I can't really see the downsides at the moment. I am eating wholesome, varied, veg, meat and fish all from the low Gl index. Only a week in but after the first few days (I went cold turkey) the weight is dropping off with ease. Highly recommended if you are dedicated enough to just cut out bread/rice/pasta/root vegs/anything else that is man made such as breakfast cereals.

For salt lovers, its a easy and ideal diet!! It shows fast results in the beginning, but progress gets really slow after a while!! In my opinion the downside to the diet is everything is so restricted.. Atkins during the Holidays was torture this year!! But i did not cheat at all, big accomplishment!! I went to 7 holiday dinners and brought my own packed meal (meat and veggies) people looked at me crazy, but there is so much additives in food, I didnt wanna chance it!! One slip up on Atkins (even just a bite) can cause you to stall for like a week. I loveeee chocolate and fruit, so Atkins killed me!!! I did great for a while.. but eventually I felt like a crack fiend!! lol
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    for breakfast i would eat 2 fried eggs with butter, 6 pieces of bacon, lunch 2 fried hambergers with cheese and bacon, and dinner 4 pork chops and whipped cream and jello for supper and sugar free chocolate. hummy

Your not on the Atkins plan..............Where are your veggies?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Hi,

For salt lovers, its a easy and ideal diet!! It shows fast results in the beginning, but progress gets really slow after a while!! In my opinion the downside to the diet is everything is so restricted.. Atkins during the Holidays was torture this year!! But i did not cheat at all, big accomplishment!! I went to 7 holiday dinners and brought my own packed meal (meat and veggies) people looked at me crazy, but there is so much additives in food, I didnt wanna chance it!! One slip up on Atkins (even just a bite) can cause you to stall for like a week. I loveeee chocolate and fruit, so Atkins killed me!!! I did great for a while.. but eventually I felt like a crack fiend!! lol

If your past the first 2 weeks, why not move onto Phase 2 and start adding in the fruit and 70% or higher dark chocolate???

There is a LOT more to Atkins than the Induction phase of meat and veggies.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Well, I've just run my numbers on there and have been told to go direct to phase 3. :-S I might still do a week on induction to kickstart myself - is that a bad idea?

It depends.................You only need to do Phase 1 (induction) if you have cravings and if you do induction you should give it a whole 2 weeks.

If your not craving sugar and such, then go ahead and jump in at Phase 2 or 3.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I too worried about the high amount of saturated fat and what it would do to my cholesterol. I should have checked sooner than 8 months later because it skyrocketed drastically. I've cut out the 2 - 3 eggs a day, burgers (even tho they were 90% lean grass fed), lowered cheese significantly, replaced cream in my coffee with coconut milk when it's available. In 2 months I check again, hope this works!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Buy the latest book.

Buy the ORIGINAL book.

I own the Orginal 1972 book, which is very strict.

I always recommend to everyone (which I did earlier in this thread) to purchase the 2002 edition of DANDR.(the last edition that Dr Atkins wrote)
  • Bdde
    Bdde Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I started last monday and am down 8lbs in 8 days!! I am eating what is allowed and I even went out this weekend a few times and never cheated. You can order things from any menu just make your needed adjustments to eliminate carbs. I love this way of eating I have so much energy!
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I do like the atkins meal replacement and snack bars. I buy them quite often.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I've done phase 1 alreadyu. Dropped 15 lbs in 10 days. Lost steadily for a bout 3 weeks now I'm stuck. I've been reading. Seems like I need to increase my fat in my diet. This seems so crazy to me but thousands of people do it everyday right?

You are stuck because you aren't eating nearly enough. Also, 15lbs in 10 days is loss of water weight, not fat.

Quit the crash diet and eat according to your TDEE..
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    i dont.
    thats how.

I hate 'limited' diets. for me..... i go crazy when I am limited to only certain foods. It just gives me more reason to binge.

So now i eat whatever i want, in total moderation and balance it out week to week.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Dr. put my Mom on the original Atkins in the 70s.
    I don't know if it's changed any, but it made her sick as a dog for ages.
    She did lose weight, but felt like crap all the time.
    It seems such an unhealthy approach to me.

What is the sense of being thin if you can't do anything.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    i dont.
    thats how.

I hate 'limited' diets. for me..... i go crazy when I am limited to only certain foods. It just gives me more reason to binge.

So now i eat whatever i want, in total moderation and balance it out week to week.

Same for me.

I considered Atkins for about 20 seconds, then realized what I'd have to give up for awhile and decided it wasn't for me. I love my carbs and I'm not a fan of butter or salt at all so if I had to use either of those I'd be out before I started.

Best of luck to those of you doing it!! I'm positive it works great for a lot of people, and I'm not one to judge. :)