dizzyness standing up

Options
2»

Replies

• linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    When going from laying to standing sit between but I am hoping your doctor told you this but not sure.

What is your blood pressure when you go to the doctors? I am a nursing student and we learned about something called orthostatic hypotension pretty much low blood pressure when going from the laying to standing position fastly. Your blood pressure would have to drop 20 for the systolic (top number) and 10 for diastolic (bottom number). How you see if you have this is lay down have someone take your BP and be laying for at least one minute, sit and have someone take your BP and this is for only a minute. Lastly stand and have someone take your BP. If you have anyone medical in your group of friend or in your family give this a try and it might explain your signs and symptoms. There is no real treatment of the condition but it would be nice to know if you have it or not.

Also the numbers on the blood pressure is from memory try putting into google orthostatic hypotension and I am sure they have a lot more information about it.

Best of luck to you :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend checking your blood pressure, it could be too low in which case you may be restricting sodium too much. Bodies need a certain amount of salt to function properly. You may also need to eat more in general - try netting above your BMR. And make sure you get enough fluids.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It's just low blood pressure - which is nothing to worry about - unless you start passing out! My doctors check my blood pressure all the time and then ask me if I get this - which I do. So do not panic!

^^ This.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Also I am just a nursing STUDENT, so if it gets bad you need to go to the doctor or ER. It can be very simply a blood pressure thing or it could be something serious.

Sorry just wanted to make sure you know that :)
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    when do these episodes happen in relation to your exercise?
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. The last few days I have struggled to eat enough but have still been working out and running round after the kids and I've had a lot of the dizzy spells where everything goes black.

I am anaemic and have low blood pressure . I have days/weeks where I feel very weak, am constantly dizzy and even struggle with breathing if I don't take my iron so its worth thinking about and taking a supplement if you think its necessary
  • GetDemGainz
    Options
    I had the same exact issue. I am down 30 lbs now on MFP and lost about 20 prior to joining. I was not taking in enough calories. It doesn't always mean low blood pressure. I have high blood pressure so try eating more and see where that goes. Good luck.
  • armychickmlg
    armychickmlg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Anyone reading this who hasn't seen a doctor about it, please go!

That said, this happens to me when my net caloric deficit is too high. Not total, net. So if I eat 1200 calories and burn 200 at the gym and don't eat those 200 back there is a chance I'll get lightheaded. If I do that two or three days in a row I will get lightheaded not to mention fatigued and cranky.

It has caused me to reevaluate my final goal upward to 129 and then let myself lose the rest as slowly as necessary while I eat those calories back. I can do this for a bit longer to get 10 more pounds or so off (I have a bad back and all my excess weight is right on that part of my spine) but after that I'm going to have to take a break.

And all of you trying to eat 1200, with or without exercise, who go to work, or take care of kids, or go out with friends regularly or a combination of those: You aren't eating enough! 1200 is only for the purely sedentary, which should mean unemployed, no small children, no activity at all outside of exercise noted down in your diary. You are even supposed to log grocery shopping and cooking!

This is a vasovagal response and is likely the result of too few calories. I agree go see a doctor to get checked out just to be sure. I have experienced it in mild forms and have also fainted.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I also have this happen from low blood pressure and had a full blood work up (including vitamins & minerals) and a heart echo test (also have a murmur so the doctors were being thorough).

The Cardiologist told me that when you lose weight your blood pressure drops and when you cut sodium your blood pressure drops. Two things which I was doing (weight purposely, sodium as a side effect of my healthier diet). When I was at my highest weight my blood pressure was on the lower end of normal (95/65ish). When you stand up your blood pressure drops due to gravity pooling the blood in your lower extremities. If you drop a significant amount on standing your get the lightheaded/black out symptoms until your body "adjusts" to the new position. The problem is that now my pressure is borderline low (90/60ish).

Basically I was told to 1) stay well hydrated and 2) eat at a moderate sodium level (not low and deffinately not high because high blood pressure is harder to fix). He said it will regulate itself when I'm done losing weight and that they do not treat it unless you actually pass out (due to risks from falling).

He also said it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with my calorie intake and a lot to do with my sodium intake (if I'm low sodium for a couple of days then the spells become worse). Perhaps this is the case with the PP who said if their calories were low they noticed it got worse (perhaps your sodium is low on those days and your calories are just a coincidence). I specifically asked about my eating because I have been anemic is the past and don't always hit my daily iron. I was kind of hoping they would recommend an increase in calories but sadly he said to keep doing what I was doing! LOL

I wouldn't recommend self diagnosis though. Chances are it is blood pressure related but go to the doctor's and let them make that determination. There are other things that could be causing it like a lack of a specific vitamin or mineral (initially I honestly believed I was anemic again). If it is blood pressure there isn't much you can do to treat it besides monitoring your sodium. It is frustrating because if you're having a lot of spells in the run of the day you end up with a headache, shaky legs and that spacey feeling. It can be hard to keep your sodium up if you are eating clean too.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:

ETA: to the nursing student... You are correct in the numbers! (my daughter became an RN in the spring!). These were my numbers at the cardiologist appointment... Laying 112/58 and standing 94/47. Tilt table isn't actually required they just lay you down for a few minutes and stand you up. My first number was a little high for me but he said eveyones numbers are higher in his office because of nerves! LOL
  • Beckie62
    Beckie62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem . I know that my blood pressure always runs low but a few years ago I would have dizziness everytime I stood up. I did end up fully passing out twice within a month. After I passed out I went and had a total workup with a cardiologist. It was finally determined that I have orthostatic hypotension, which was verified by a tilt-table test. I am now on a medication that raises my blood pressure. When I don't take my meds my blood pressure runs about 90/50 and with my meds it is about 105/70. I am just careful to take my meds and if I start feeling thoses symptoms again I go back for another check-up and usually adjust my dosage. Hope this helps!
  • bcmlam1001
    bcmlam1001 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You have lots of good responses, but yes EAT MORE, that does help me because I have low bllod sugar, and I don't really think I have low blood pressure but due to an accident a couple years ago I take blood thinner and that affects me. Anytime I stand up I have to do it slowly. Whether it's off the couch, out of bed, out of the car, out of the tub, if I bend over and stand back up, it doesn't matter what I have to be careful. When it does that sometimes my heart flutters then it pounds hard and fast for a couple of minutes and sometimes I have to lie back down til my heart calms down. I have passed out once and blacked out several times and see floaties all the time. It is frustrating but yes first of all try eating more and being careful about standing is really the only thing you can do about it. I did notice that when I was going through post traumatic stress and not eating right and got weak was when it was at it's worst. Just take care and if it gets to bad def see a dr!
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I get this quite a lot. Not to the point I blackout, but I get really dizzy and see stars. I'm pretty sure it was because I wasn't eating enough. It was a small price to pay to lose the weight I lost though. I didn't care being a bit dizzy for 10-15 seconds after getting up. If you're concerned about it then maybe eat more.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Anyone reading this who hasn't seen a doctor about it, please go!

That said, this happens to me when my net caloric deficit is too high. Not total, net. So if I eat 1200 calories and burn 200 at the gym and don't eat those 200 back there is a chance I'll get lightheaded. If I do that two or three days in a row I will get lightheaded not to mention fatigued and cranky.

It has caused me to reevaluate my final goal upward to 129 and then let myself lose the rest as slowly as necessary while I eat those calories back. I can do this for a bit longer to get 10 more pounds or so off (I have a bad back and all my excess weight is right on that part of my spine) but after that I'm going to have to take a break.

And all of you trying to eat 1200, with or without exercise, who go to work, or take care of kids, or go out with friends regularly or a combination of those: You aren't eating enough! 1200 is only for the purely sedentary, which should mean unemployed, no small children, no activity at all outside of exercise noted down in your diary. You are even supposed to log grocery shopping and cooking!

This is a vasovagal response and is likely the result of too few calories. I agree go see a doctor to get checked out just to be sure. I have experienced it in mild forms and have also fainted.

this. the doctor said so many women experience it and actually told me to eat more salt, drink some coffee, and keep exercising. but see a doctor to be sure!
  • jillm85
    jillm85 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Have you had your blood pressure checked? if you have low blood pressure, that would explain the symptoms. I keeled over years ago (not knowing) then on checking out with my doctor was told not to stand up too quickly otherwise it would happen again. Good thing is though if it is low blood pressure (and with the weight loss) you are less likely to get related illnesses.
    GOODNESS THIS ESCALATED QUICKLY!!
    thank you everyone for your comments, it will take me a while to relpy to everyone individually, but to answer some questions, yes my blood pressure was 100/60 last time which is slightly low
    i dont eat back my excersize and dont have a huge appetite anyway.
    need to read other posts to answer questions etc, thanks again guys, (gp wants to see me end of the week if nothings changed)
  • jillm85
    Options
    I get this daily. I suffer from low blood pressure and i am pretty sure that's why i feel so dizzy and sick.

Tricks to overcome it....get up slowly, especially when getting up in the morning or sitting down for a long time. I also find that drinking lots of fluid helps.

Hope this helps x
    thank you, i dont log water because i simply dont drink it, i live off tea but i seriously need to start drinking water
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You have lots of good responses, but yes EAT MORE, that does help me because I have low bllod sugar, and I don't really think I have low blood pressure but due to an accident a couple years ago I take blood thinner and that affects me. Anytime I stand up I have to do it slowly. Whether it's off the couch, out of bed, out of the car, out of the tub, if I bend over and stand back up, it doesn't matter what I have to be careful. When it does that sometimes my heart flutters then it pounds hard and fast for a couple of minutes and sometimes I have to lie back down til my heart calms down. I have passed out once and blacked out several times and see floaties all the time. It is frustrating but yes first of all try eating more and being careful about standing is really the only thing you can do about it. I did notice that when I was going through post traumatic stress and not eating right and got weak was when it was at it's worst. Just take care and if it gets to bad def see a dr!

It's so interesting to me to hear this! I have a bleeding disorder (immune system attacks my platelets making my blood too thin) and the last time I had dizzy spells like this my platelet counts were low. The dizzy spells started this time and my platelet counts are again low. The cardiologist and hematologist both say there is no relation but it seems like a weird co-incidence to me! Things that make you go hmmm....!
  • jillm85
    Options
    Best advice is to check with your doctor, but how much water are you drinking? I know that I am limiting the amount of sodium I consume and also drinking a lot of water which can cause that reaction. Could also be a blood pressure thing. But Still I recommend a chat with your doc.
    pretty much zore water, i cant multiple glasses of water i have never been able to, i will have a pint maybe over the course of a day (generally though its tea)
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Orthostatic hypotension:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/orthostatic-hypotension/DS00997

Rise very slowly and stay well hydrated
  • jillm85
    Options
    when do these episodes happen in relation to your exercise?
    i dont get dizzy after a work out, it is litterly every time i stand up from sitting, lying, crouching or even bending to pick something up, its more likely to be a blood pressure thing, i shall get it investigated like i said my gp wants to see me at the end of the week if its still carrying on, its only been 3 weeks its been happening so far
  • jillm85
    Options
    You checked to see if you were anemic? Did they also check your blood sugar levels? I have low blood sugar and what you're describing happens to me when I don't eat enough/for a longtime. For me, say I don't eat until 3pm. That's fine if it's not hot outside or if I'm not moving much BUT say it's the middle of the summer and I'm out running errands. I'd get dizzy (standing or not) and sometimes things go dark or hazy.

So for you, IF you do have low blood sugar, it would make sense that you're probably fine until you go work out because your body is exerting energy it doesn't really have.

Did you ask them only to see if you were anemic? You should just say what the problem is and not offer solutions. They may have only checked for that one thing.

Like I said, I have low blood sugar but I'm not hypoglycemic (i think that's the right one), so I can't take medication...I'm happy about that. I just did a lot of research and took the doctor's tips to insure I'm getting the right foods to keep my blood sugar high enough (but not too high) as well as my iron levels since I do have two iron deficiencies.
    nope iron and sugar levels are fine, its a mystery, i know when i was there last week my blood pressure was low it was 100/60 dorcor asked me to stand up and it was 90/60 so yeah it is quite low but until i get back at the end of the week i wont know for sure or if that was an off day??!!