Salad Dressing Alternatives

I love salad.. just with tons of dressing :( The taste of lettuce with only a few teaspoons of dressing makes me want to gag, but I need to incorporate salads into my diet (they're easy to prepare, not expensive, good for you, etc.)

Can you guys list your alternative ideas/dressings/fixings to salads??

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    I've switched entirely to olive oil and balsamic vinegar, too much sugar and sodium in most commercial dressings for me. I use about twice as much vinegar as oil.
  • bkr45678
    bkr45678 Posts: 62 Member
    Get a tub of 0% Fage Greek yogurt, mix in a pack of the Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch spice mix. Only about 10 calories a tablespoon. You can add a dash of milk if you want to make it thinner, but that will still keep the count low. Plus the yogurt has no fat and some protein.
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Salsa!
  • Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    If you have a good chicken marinade make your chicken with that and keep a little extra sauce for the chicken, eat warm over the lettuce and VIOLA! I use a cracked pepper sauce that I found with the Kraft Simple Salad kits, I forgo the dressing since it is good enough alone and lower in calories, plus the chicken adds protein.
  • suz2411
    suz2411 Posts: 33
    I make a honey, mustard and balsamic vinegar dressing...its delish and only 20 cals per serve!
  • es214
    es214 Posts: 41
    all of these are great!!! Thank you!!!!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Good quality balsamic vinegar, pickled garlic and black pepper.
  • Brags apple cider vinegar
  • If you can find it, Bolthouse has a yogurt ranch dressing that is 45 calories for 2 tablespoons and it tastes great. Also Lighthouse has a yogurt ranch that is similar in calories that tastes great oo.
  • es214
    es214 Posts: 41
    Tried some salsa on it last night.. WONDERFUL! Will be trying a lot of these ideas! Thanks everyone
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Salsa or cottage cheese
  • t_conatser
    t_conatser Posts: 1 Member
    I use salsa on everything. love it!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I like half salsa and half plain greek yogurt mixed together. It makes for a creamy dressing with very few calories. I use that on taco salads.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    mustard, soy sauce, hot sauce...all mixed together
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Balsamic vinegar

Avacado and crumbled feta (or blue cheese)

Oil and vinegar (a little!)

Greek yogurt, avacado, salsa, garlic mixed together (great on crackers and veggies! So why not salad?)

nothing

that's what I use..
  • Walden Farms is zero calorie. I like the chipotle ranch!
  • livaneah
    livaneah Posts: 34 Member
    walden farms brand is 0 cal, 0 fat, 0 carbs... most of their flavors sort of taste like cardboard, but I added hot sauce to their chipolte ranch and it was very good.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    oil, vinegar, and a dash of seasoning.

'Cavender's Greek Season' is the best. i'll put in on anything, especially salads. so good.
  • amculver1
    amculver1 Posts: 36 Member
    bump
  • MarshaMole
    MarshaMole Posts: 142 Member
    bump
  • that sounds good and easy to do. When you say "Tub", what does that mean; 5oz+?
  • Mrc1974
    Mrc1974 Posts: 75 Member
    Freshly squeezed orange with a splash of balsamic vinegar. If you want it to stick to your lettuce, a spritz or two of spray olive oil will do the trick.

I love this dressing, had it last night without the oil and will be having it tonight as well..yum!!
  • roxxie25
    roxxie25 Posts: 32 Member
    Love all of these ideas. I sometimes just squeeze lemon juice onto my salads.
  • I use Mrs. Dash with tabasco (because I love hot sauce) or low sodium soy sauce. Mrs. Dash has no calories, carbs or sodium so I basically put it on everything. There's quite a few flavors. My favorites are the tomato and basil or the garlic and herbs. Hope this helps~
  • whitmars106
    whitmars106 Posts: 118 Member
    Look for low-cal dressings, or if you have a favorite you just can't live without, measure it out to its serving size, put your salad in a to-go box, pour your dressing onto the salad, close the lid, and shake it around. It evenly disperses the dressing, and you won't be eating globs of dressing. You'll still taste the dressing and not the lettuce, depending on how thick the dressing is. Try it out sometime.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Homemade Mayo (which is far better in nutritional values than the store bought stuff) would be a good alternative. I love a dab of mayo in a salad rather than dressing. But that's of course just my wild wacky way of eating.
  • asizesix
    asizesix Posts: 131 Member
    Try a salad that doesnt have lettuce - I'm actually not a huge fan of it either.

My fave salad is a handful of cherry tomatoes, 1/4 diced avocado, diced red pepper and/or cucumber and sprinkle some feta on top with a bit of balsamic vinegar and that's it!
  • MarshaMole
    MarshaMole Posts: 142 Member
    bump
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    I looooove the Kraft Calorie Wise dressings, esp. the Italian at 5 cals. per tablespoon. Like you, I have to drown my salad greens, and with this stuff, I can!