For those of you who like Yoplait "Greek" Yogurt...

Options
Laceylala
Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
With food, IMO you have to pick your own battles with what you eat. I tried Yoplait's greek yogurt and frankly thought WTH it tastes just like their regular yogurt, not like greek yogurt, so I looked at the ingredients and saw that they added concentrated milk proteins. I chucked the other two containers I bought out in the garbage based on flavor and consistency of the stuff, not really knowing what concentrated milk proteins are. Today my friend emailed me something from the FDA about these CMP and how they are essentially the left over waste byproducts of dairy.

I am only posting this for you all to look at, not trying to sway your opinions on foods..more of an FYI. I for one will not be buying anymore yoplait products at all and will be scanning the cheese ingredients from now on as well before I buy.

http://www.yoplaitgreek.com/flavors.aspx

Facts are:
MPC – Milk Protein Concentrate is what is left over when the higher quality substances in milk have been extracted for other, higher quality products. MPC is sold in a powdered form (but is NOT powdered milk – which is made from ...actual milk) and is considered to be a dairy waste product. Unregulated and untested for... safety, this cheap alternative to real milk is not approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration), and is not on the GRAS (generally regarded as safe) list. MPC is usually imported from other countries where food regulations are less stringent, and is often imported as a chemical or pharmaceutical product rather than a food product. Although it is technically illegal to use this waste product in food items, Kraft has been doing a booming business thanks to MPC, importing over 52,000 metric tons of the substance in 2000. MPC is on the ingredient lists of processed cheeses and frozen desserts as well as less obvious foods such as high protein sports drinks, energy bars, and nutritional supplements. As dairy processors buy more and more MPC from overseas rather than real milk from the USA, dairy farmers are finding themselves with a surplus of dry milk (which is made from real milk and should be used in place of MPC).

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2002/ucm145363.htm

Replies

• SaraWo24
    SaraWo24 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Ew...
  • sara0315
    sara0315 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I, too, tried Yoplait's "greek" yogurt and thought it was awful; nothing like a real Greek yogurt. But in case people are liking it and eating it (it does have LOTS of protein compared to regular yogurt), this is good to know!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I will stick with my Fage Greek Yogurt!
  • oliveoil7979
    Options
    Thanks for this. I tried their "Greek" yogurt and really didn't like it.

Latley I have been ADDICTED to the Fage greek yogurt. I get the plain and just a dollop of honey for flavor.
    Have you heard anything bad about that brand?
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I tried their "Greek" yogurt and really didn't like it.

Latley I have been ADDICTED to the Fage greek yogurt. I get the plain and just a dollop of honey for flavor.
    Have you heard anything bad about that brand?

Fage is very high quality, I definitely recommend it.

..and thanks to the OP for the heads up. I bought a couple of containers of plain Yoplait Greek to give it a shot (and I had a coupon!), but yeah, it doesn't hold a candle to Fage, Vosko's, or Chobani.
  • megananne88
    Options
    I LOVE Fage!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I looked at Yoplait's ingredients and didn't even consider it. I decided to try Dannon's plain greek yogurt & it tastes HORRIBLE. Fage is so #1. I'll also eat Chobani & Oikos (though Oikos has an additional "tang" or bitterness because it has so many active cultures in it).
    Fage is getting harder and harder for me to find 'round these parts. :ohwell:
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I too love Fage...Chobani, Oikos, YUM.. MY favorite is the coconut one with the full fat. OMG sometimes it is worth it to me to buy that high cal high fat container because it is DIVINE.

I don't like Yoplait in the first place, or any other yogurt except real greek...but I thought oh its only $1 a piece of Walshart so I bought it. How they can pass it off as greek yogurt just because it has more protein is beyond me. To me, that is false advertising at its finest.

Also, if you look at the brands who produce real greek yogurt, they are always brands that are well known for high quality products. And if I remember correctly from reading ingredients they are made of things that I know are real foods and products.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I like Greek Gods yogurt myself.
  • oliveoil7979
    Options
    I happen to have a Fage yogurt on my desk :happy: The ingrediants for their plain yogurt are: Grade A Pasteurized Skimmed Milk, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermaphilus)

You don't get more natural than that
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Not to change the subject, but I just did a personal blind taste test of the store-brand plain whole milk yogurt I usually buy, and Chobani fat-free plain yogurt. I had a really hard time telling them apart! Does anyone know how those clever Greeks get their skimmed milk yogurt to taste as creamy as our full-fat variety???

(edited for spelling errors - I'm such a grammar geek!)
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I will stick with my Fage Greek Yogurt!

^ I second this! :bigsmile:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Not to change the subject, but I just did a personal blind taste test of the store-brand plain whole milk yogurt I usually buy, and Chobani fat-free plain yogurt. I had a really hard time telling them apart! Does anyone know how those clever Greeks get their skimmed milk yogurt to taste as creamy as our full-fat variety???

They just strain out the whey. :wink:
  • mhxander25
    Options
    thanks for the heads up i had no clue about what CMP's were or how they were made and affected the body. I do love greek yogurt so im thinking i iwll stick with Chobani and Oikos
  • mhxander25
    Options
    * Fage is still the number one though
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options

They just strain out the whey. :wink:

No whey...that's it? LOL HAHA! I just couldn't resist! :laugh: Seriously though, thanks for responding!
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options
    Is Milk Protein Concentrate the same as whey?
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I never planned on trying it. I feel like Greek yogurt is more expensive for a reason, and when they come out with a cheap kind, I'm not going for it. Fage is sooo good but is the most expensive there is. I recently got Chobani, and it is super tasty too! Love it with a swirl of honey and some granola!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    where do you guys get Fage? I have not seen it at walmart.