Avocados?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    they are micronutrient dense which is what you want in all food sources.

This^^^

Good fats don't do anything in RE to fat burning...they're simply good for the heart and help the body control blood cholesterol...i.e lower LDL and raise HDL.

They do pack a caloric punch which is why I almost always suggest them for people having difficulty meeting their calorie goals...nutrient dense and calorie dense = WINNING
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/4 avocado most days...
    How do you stop the rest of it from going brown?

In a baggie with a bit of lemon.
  • Abi_bug04
    Abi_bug04 Posts: 220
    Options
    I eat 1/4 avocado most days...
    How do you stop the rest of it from going brown?

You can drizzle it in lime juice, and they can keep from going brown for days!
  • wineliketopaz
    Options
    I eat at least 1/2 and avocado on most days. When I'm feeling frisky I eat a whole one and I'm still losing weight/getting leaner.

As long as you're eating healthy, whole foods and staying within a caloric deficit eating an avocado will not hurt your progress.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    There is nothing "fat burning" about any food really. Avocados are not that high in calories when you consider how filling they are. I like to use them as a substitute for mayo. also acovados blended up with some lemon and spices makes a wonderful creamy salad dressing
  • SaffSaad
    Options
    I eat at least 1/2 and avocado on most days. When I'm feeling frisky I eat a whole one and I'm still losing weight/getting leaner.

As long as you're eating healthy, whole foods and staying within a caloric deficit eating an avocado will not hurt your progress.

This

I eat a whole one on most days and I'm still losing weight.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options

This

Agreed ^_^. I also think it's beneficiary filling up on whole foods rather than eating something 'low fat' or 'low calorie' and later feeling like you've deprived yourself.
    I want an avocado meow.
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I find that when I eat Avocados on a regular basis, I lose weight more consistently. They are awesome as a side with dinner...sliced up with some salt..yummy!!!!!

Or, they are a great substitute for butter~~I am not a mayo person~~~~they are so filling and I don't mind spending the calories on them at all. :love:
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 1/2 an avocado a day. Sure, it is a lot of calories, but they are packed with nutrients, and make my salads kick a#$.
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    To eat only 1/2 and not get brown, I keep the pit in and sprinkle with lemon juice, wrap with saran wrap. Check out this amazing recipe (you really don't need all of the oil, I've found)
    http://www.theamazingavocado.com/recipes/categories/all-recipes/avocado-tomato-salad/

AWESOME RECIPE!!! THANKS!!
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    pros: guacamole

^ This. Love me some guac.
  • CINNAMON77_00
    CINNAMON77_00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I read on a post here once that Avocados are a healthy person's Bacon. Yum!! My hubby can have his freaking bacon, I will take the avocado!! :)
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    is it just me or do avocados not have as many cals as people think? For a long time I was logging them as avocado half - 120 cals. Someone in this thread posted that half an avocado was 160 cals. When I bought a food scale and actually weighed a half(without the skin), most of the time the grams in half of an avocado came to about 100 cals or less. This is using the avocado (correct net carbs non branded california grown) 136.0g = 227cals entry in the database. On average for me, half an avocado usually is about equal to 0.44 serving (100 cals). This has been true for large and small avocados for me, because the pit is large in large avocados and small in smaller ones, so the flesh is about the same.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Toxic to chickens
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I concur; perfect with a hint of lime juice and ripe banana!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    pros: guacamole

^^ THIS!!!

I put them in everything.. salad, greek yogurt, egg salad, sandwiches, burgers, fish or just eat them as is..

mmmm.. now I wish I had brought one to work with me! LOL

Also to answer the nutrition question above..
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1843/2

150g of avocado = 240 calories... I just guesstimate mine, but that's the official number i beleive.
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump...love the info!!
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I read on a post here once that Avocados are a healthy person's Bacon. Yum!! My hubby can have his freaking bacon, I will take the avocado!! :)

I just had my avocado on toast with a fried egg AND turkey bacon :)
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like them with this peanut sesame dressing I found.....soooo good. But I can't stop from eating a whole one if I eat it like that :(

Edit: they're really good in omelettes.
  • JJLara86
    JJLara86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    They don't burn fat, they provide you with the "good fats." Enjoy them but with moderation!! :)