Avocados?

Options
13»

Replies

• OzarkMountainMan
    Options
    Yum, I'm going to try that! It sounds delicious.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Keep the pit in.

... and sprinkle with lemon juice and cover the exposed part

Exactly this.

I love them, and they are great stuffed with some kind of yummy protein heavy food. Enjoy them!
  • Sonriendo
    Options
    I love Avocados.... I like to buy the tiny ones... than eat a whole one as a P.M. Snack.... Yum!!!
  • OzarkMountainMan
    Options
    I love them. When I'm low on my fat intake for the day, they are a happy way to balance it out! I love it mashed up with green onions, cilantro, lime juice... I'll use that instead of mayo to make a chicken salad sandwich.

Yum, sounds great. I'm going to try that.
  • sushiforbrains
    Options
    Avocados are great for so many things. I love to put half or so of an avocado in a small can of tuna with lemon juice and some spices, amazing tuna salad! I also use avocado in place of mayo on turkey burgers, and if I know I am going to have a day where I need a big breakfast, I make a sandwich with sliced turkey, tomato, provolone, a fried egg, and avocado. (Of course, sometimes I make one of these to split with my hubby.)
    Also, guacamole, on everything, all the time!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    YUM!!! good for ya!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dutrall
    Options
    I've found the best solution for keeping the avacado from going brown. I have a Food Saver system (the machine that vacuum seals food in plastic. I usually have half an avacado in my salad and then save the rest for a salad later in the week and the avacado is just as "white" and not slimy at all more than a week later. Usually, the other half is long gone before then, but I've forgotten it in the fridge and was shocked at how long it held up.

I also use it as a substitue for mayo in a BLT sandwich. YUM!
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Toxic to chickens

For reals?
    How toxic? Like one bite and the chicken dies? Or do you have to cram several down the chicken's throat?
    Do chickens even like avocados?
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I like the florida ones a lil better. Have heard them called the slim avacados, but believe their numbers run almost side by side.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Toxic to chickens

For reals?
    How toxic? Like one bite and the chicken dies? Or do you have to cram several down the chicken's throat?
    Do chickens even like avocados?

Generally speaking I don't cram anything down my birdies throats..........I had been composting them for a while. I know they had eaten the little I may have left in the skin, so not one bite and you've got a chicken to bury. I read it in my "chicken raising" book.
    I stopped putting the skins in the compost and just throwing them out instead. But yes, chickens like avocados, and ham and their own eggs when I scramble them, (and raw) and soy milk and pizza crust and cooked chicken and beef and lettuce and meal worms and cabbage and yogurt and bugs.........Get where I'm going with this? They also have the laying pellets:) I have food compactors in my coop that lay beautiful eggs every day! They LOVE scraps from my kiddos plates. And I love their eggs! 2 of my girls even lay blue eggs.