*need advice about something a bit awkward from ladies!

Options

Replies

• marielaem
    marielaem Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I used to get frequent yeast infections and got Canestan from the doctor. Antibiotics are no good for yeast infections - in fact, they can cause them. If I ever have to take them, I know that I'll get a yeast infection as a result, so I always get a Canestan vaginal suppository from the doctor at the same time. I think you can get them over the counter, too.

Always wear cotton knickers and ease off the tight jeans when you have an infection. The burning can be helped by "bathing" the area in natural yoghurt (a bit messy!), removing the yoghurt gently with tepid water and drying with a hairdryer - low heat and speed. Don't rub with a towel - friction makes the itching worse.

Also - avoid foods with a high sugar/yeast content. There is a lot of info re yeast infections online - so try Googling. Good luck and I hope you get better soon. xx
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    I think it could be either:

Cystitus or an STI. Please don't worry if it is an STI. Most are treatable and it'll be ok x
  • MaxlacusNight
    MaxlacusNight Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    First, DO NOT USE MONISTAT 1 OVULE - it will feel like an egg of fire ants has hatched in your hoo-ha.
    Best. Line. Ever.
  • GluttonousGirl
    GluttonousGirl Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    go to the doctor. just in case it's something else.if it is just a yeast infection your doctor Can write you a prescription for the magical one time pill that cures it with a quickness.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    If you never have had one before you need to go to a doctor. Yes I have had the burning before but its not necessarily the infection mine was from scratching in my sleep ( gross I know). But definitely go to a doctor they make a pill you can take now that clears it up in 24hrs and no messy creams. Its fantastic and really does work so its worth the trip.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If you are using the combo pack (little eggs and the cream) it is normal for the cream to burn after you put it on for a few minutes. If the burning doesn't subside wash it off. You can also try Vagisil cream to relieve the burning.

A word of caution though: IF the burning is getting WORSE while using Monistat, stop using it and wait for the clinic appointment. Just use vagisil to get you through to your appointment (it won't cure the problem but will provide some relief). I have a friend that ended up with a bad chemical burn due to a sensitivity to the ingredients (not nice at all and took a long time to heal completely). Now if she gets a yeast infection she has to go to the doctor to get a prescription (oral medication). This is why they caution you to go to the doctor the first time you have one.

It's really easy to get a yeast infection, anything that upsets the "balance" can cause it. Even a bubble bath for some people. If you can pin point the cause you'll be better able to avoid them in the future. I hope you feel better soon!
  • Holliday2
    Options
    I haven't had a yeast infection in years but when I was young as soon as I started taking the birth control pills, I got a yeast infection. Once I swelled up like a balloon in that area. How embarressing at the age of 19 to have to go to the hospital and have an unknown doctor treat me. The burning was terrible and going to the bathroom was even worse. You want to scratch yourself to death. There is something new on the market which my daughter uses on occasion. It costs about $25.00 and its one dose a pill and it also comes with cream. It seems to work for her. Years ago the only available was the 7 day dose. All this is available over the counter. Pharmasist are very good. Ask a woman and they are very helpful. The cream will ease the burning but it will take a couple of days for it to work. This is quite common in women so don't worry.
  • skinnybysummer24
    Options
    I just got back from my doctor, and he says it's either a Yeast Infection like I thought, or a UTI.
    I had to do a pee test and get it sent to the lab, but he thinks it's more of a YI, so he sent in a prescription for Diflucan to start treating it if it's a YI. He said this part kind of sucks, but he has to see if it gets worse to rule out a YI because a lot of the symptoms are so closely related.
    He said by thursday he will call me with the lab results, if it's a UTI then he'll immediately call in the prescription for that.
    THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR RESPONSES.
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm not squeamish or a prude but I think some things should be kept off a private forum. You've grown up in the age of digital sharing with Facebook, blogs, Vlogs, etc, but at some point you need to realize that posting about yeast infections and answering questions about being sexually active to total strangers is not only bad form but dangerous. If you were my daughter and I found out you had posted this I would be pretty concerned.

Not saying you have to never talk about these things but in private with friends, family, and your doctor is prob a better way than posting it on the internet where it will NEVER go away.

That said, hope you get feeling better.
  • skinnybysummer24
    Options
    Okay I'm not squeamish or a prude but I think some things should be kept off a private forum. You've grown up in the age of digital sharing with Facebook, blogs, Vlogs, etc, but at some point you need to realize that posting about yeast infections and answering questions about being sexually active to total strangers is not only bad form but dangerous. If you were my daughter and I found out you had posted this I would be pretty concerned.

Not saying you have to never talk about these things but in private with friends, family, and your doctor is prob a better way than posting it on the internet where it will NEVER go away.

I appreciate your concern, but I also know that this is a site for people to get advice and help, and the reason I posted it was because I've been having a change in diet lately and wanted to know if other people have had this with diet change, and about Monistat.
    -I'm a 19 year old girl. Yes, I am still a child a lot of times, but I am legally an adult. I can make my own decisions. I did add that I have my doc appointment, and posted what was said because of people who were helping me. I appreciate your concern, but I'm not giving out my full name, address, number and doctors name, just posting about something that was frightening and needed some advice from others before I went t the doctor.
  • amills1152
    amills1152 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Try the AZO yeast supplement. They sell it at walmart.

DEFINITELY DO THIS. I'm telling you, nothing helps ease the burning and itching like this stuff, you will kick yourself for having not gotten it sooner because it will relieve your symptoms better than anything else! Trust me I had a stint of 4 months where I had a YI once, sometimes TWICE a month before I realized what was causing them - AZO Yeast WORKS.
  • skinnybysummer24
    Options
    Try the AZO yeast supplement. They sell it at walmart.

DEFINITELY DO THIS. I'm telling you, nothing helps ease the burning and itching like this stuff, you will kick yourself for having not gotten it sooner because it will relieve your symptoms better than anything else! Trust me I had a stint of 4 months where I had a YI once, sometimes TWICE a month before I realized what was causing them - AZO Yeast WORKS.
    I will! thank you :)
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Get to a doctor - there is something they can give you for the burning/itching that will be prescription strength.

THere's something that has Nystatin, and there's another word that starts with a T combined with it that I use for the burning/itching.

You can take something like Diflucan (a pill), or something like the Monistat - I want to say it's called Terconizole. I think the Terconizole gives better relief sooner, combined with that other Nystatin cream. I'm in Indianapolis, and there's a Riley Hospital for Children - when my daughters had yeast infections on their booties as babies, they gave me a script once for "Riley's Butt Paste"....I don't know if it's because of the HOspital, or that's just what it's called or if your pharmacist would know what it is - but that wold be something helpful too - if the other cream isn't available.

Either way, it'll take a trip to the doctor.

Good luck!!
  • gonnabethin198
    Options
    go too the doctor ASAP.
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You could have BV and not a yeast infection - which is bacterial. You should go to the doctor to get checked to see which one you have - you could also have both at the same time.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I appreciate your concern, but I also know that this is a site for people to get advice and help, and the reason I posted it was because I've been having a change in diet lately and wanted to know if other people have had this with diet change, and about Monistat.
    -I'm a 19 year old girl. Yes, I am still a child a lot of times, but I am legally an adult. I can make my own decisions. I did add that I have my doc appointment, and posted what was said because of people who were helping me. I appreciate your concern, but I'm not giving out my full name, address, number and doctors name, just posting about something that was frightening and needed some advice from others before I went t the doctor.
    I think it's perfectly fine that's you posted about this, especially since you took the advice and went to the doctor. Its a health concern, too bad for anyone who is squeamish about vaginas. They need to get over it. It probably isn't diet or fitness related, but not knowing originally from your point of view it very well could have been. Also, you handled this comment very maturely. Good on you.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

You begin your post saying that you are neither a prude nor squeamish but then all of your follow up words indicate those exact personality traits. Chat about YIs or other sexual organ medical issues does not need to kept private. In fact, if she had kept it private, between family and friends, she might not have gone to the doctor. This is not the 1950's anymore where anything sexually related must be kept behind closed doors. She didn't post any identifying info, she asked a legitimate question and the year is 2013. OP, you did nothing wrong.
  • skinnybysummer24
    Options
    Thank you :) I don't think the person was meaning it in any way rude, but I am an adult. I like the advice of other women, other than my mom and my sister.
    Because these women on here gave me more to read, it gave me a push to go to a doctor. My doc does think is a YI, but he said t could very well be a UTI. So if I would have left that alone, I could be much worse.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) I don't think the person was meaning it in any way rude, but I am an adult. I like the advice of other women, other than my mom and my sister.
    Because these women on here gave me more to read, it gave me a push to go to a doctor. My doc does think is a YI, but he said t could very well be a UTI. So if I would have left that alone, I could be much worse.

I agree, I don't think the poster meant it negatively... I think it is likely a generation difference. No one would think twice if you were questioning a cut that was infected. My youngest daughter is 19 and oldest is 23 (although I just turned 40). Neither would have a problem asking me anything and my youngest still asks me to go to the doctors with her (even for a pap! LOL). I grew up with a mom who addressed sexual issues with pamphlets from the doctors office. Lot of good that did... I was pregnant at 16! LOL

You handled the situation with maturity and I am glad you got the answers you were looking for. =)
  • skinnybysummer24
    Options

I agree, I don't think the poster meant it negatively... I think it is likely a generation difference. No one would think twice if you were questioning a cut that was infected. My youngest daughter is 19 and oldest is 23 (although I just turned 40). Neither would have a problem asking me anything and my youngest still asks me to go to the doctors with her (even for a pap! LOL). I grew up with a mom who addressed sexual issues with pamphlets from the doctors office. Lot of good that did... I was pregnant at 16! LOL

You handled the situation with maturity and I am glad you got the answers you were looking for. =)
    Thank you! My mom has always been very open about sex and what not with my brother and my sister. we all have really amazing communication so I don't think me asking advice from other women is a big deal. :)