Drinking and Diet

Options
I am a fan of beer, and not this ultra-lite no flavor beer, but hoppy, robust, kick-*kitten* beer. The problem is, as I am sure you know, that one of these lovely beers has several hundred calories per bottle! So, in an effort to help my weight loss, I have decided to switch to other types of drinks. You might say, "you would be healthier and loose more weight if you didn’t drink alcohol" or "Alcohol is full of empty calories and sugar" to which I would reply "yes, indeed, now pass me that bottle opener". So, please don't take this the wrong way, but if your only helpful advice is abstinence, then this thread is not for you. I am looking for some tricks of the trade, other options, tasty beverages that are a little on the lighter side and just some good ole' drinking dialog. Let’s lose weight and celebrate!

Replies

• carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I switched to wine. For one thing, I can drink my weight in beer if I'm not careful, and who's careful after the first couple of drinks? Also, it does a number on my tummy. I started cutting my glass of wine with seltzer water or club soda. Since I buy super el cheapo wine, it doesn't really affect the taste, and you can have twice as much sippage for the same calories.
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya...I enjoy my REAL beer & happily scan the bar code & log my calories and enjoy every sip. I would rather drink a good beer & make the calories worth it then waste the calories on that crappy lite beer, blach! I do try to tamper off my drinking to only a few times a month rather then a few times a week. Only because drinking beer makes me really wanna eat pizza....and my give a damn is sometimes not working properly after a few tall ones:)
  • spanglish
    spanglish Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's helped me to trade the after work beer for a club soda with lime. It's something fizzy and refreshing, but light. On the weekends I still treat myself to good beer, but after a couple rounds (when taste becomes less important anyway) I switch to vodka soda.
  • tooltula
    Options
    I also enjoy my cocktails and beer. But since I couldn't drink beer and lose weight I switched to Vodka. I also like cranberry juice so I buy diet cran and add that. You can mix with anything you like, problem is I can only drink 2. I fill in with water.
  • AngelaKelly02
    AngelaKelly02 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bacardi with tonic water and lime. Wine mixed with soda water is okay too depending on the wine.

I miss whiskey and dry ginger-ale. :(
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big time craft beer drinker. I've taken to more red wine and vodka & diet tonics or club soda as my go to drinks. I probably only have maybe 3 beers per week these days, when I used to have 3 or 4 nightly. I'm actually trying to cut back even more and I have at least 2 "dry" nights per week now...will be bumping that to 3 next week and 4-5 nights in a couple more weeks. For me, it's more habit than anything. Friday and Saturday nights are mine though, and I don't see that changing anytime soon...
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I totally could have written this post! My hubby and I both love beer so I totally understand where you are coming from! I like the idea of adding some seltzer water to some wine! That is a great way to still have a cocktail and cut the calories! looking forward to reading more ideas!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Stick to single mixed drinks or shots. Long island ice teas and such are huge calorie bombs. Personally I like vokda with crystal light (at home) or rum and diet coke.... Shots work great too!
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Beer is my Bacon!

Only had 1 Fried Breakfast in 3 months and got grumpy when totally off beer (first 15 days of January). I think I drink more responsibly now and look forward to a couple most nights. I used to trade my exercise calories for beer but not been running for a while through injury and that has stemmed my weightloss and can put up with that (for ma while).
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I love Vodka and hard drinks
  • norm1539
    Options
    Try Guinness one 20oz can is only 155 calories. Besides the fact that Stout's are just good beers.
  • Ailorn
    Ailorn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Exercise and drink the beer you like :) Calories in is Calories out.
  • amy32lynn
    amy32lynn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Stick to single mixed drinks or shots. Long island ice teas and such are huge calorie bombs. Personally I like vokda with crystal light (at home) or rum and diet coke.... Shots work great too!
    love crystal light and vodka .....about 85 cals per drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Vodka and DIET tonic with a few limes... beware, regular tonic has just as many calories as REGULAR SODA!!
  • girlnumber57
    Options
    I love beer also, now it's a special treat - twice a month maybe. I drink a ton more red wine now. I drink a glass a night to be honest, sometimes two. I also drink gin and tonic's, but I have to limit those as I will go overboard on that if given a chance. :) Wine seems to be the safest bet.
  • Mary8751
    Options
    Vodka and water with some Mio in it, it's not beer but that's what I have been drinking.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I used to drink wine 2-3 times a week - and also drink once during the weekend out with friends. I have cut this number down to one night a week. I don't believe in cutting anything out of your diet totally.

Moderation. If I know I'm gonna go out with friends, I'll work a little harder each day during the week to "make room" for all of the alcoholic calories I'll be drinking. This works for me as I count my calories on a weekly vs. daily basis.
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Jack Daniels on the rocks. Used to love Jack and Cokes until I realized how much sugar and empty calories it was! So, just cut out that unhealthy soda and I'm left with uber-healthy whiskey. That's how it works, right?
  • alliepee11
    Options
    I scaled the awesome beer to special occasions only (I don't have the ability to only have one) and try to keep it at two or three. as far as the harder stuff goes, I find thawhen I can't abstain, a vodka diet seven is always good, but I sure do miss captain and coke :)
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    A couple of summers ago, I got hooked on Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka. That stuff is DANGEROUS! lol

Anyway, I discovered you can make your own by putting a few teabags into a mason jar of regular (read: cheap) vodka for an hour or two, then add your sweetener of choice or mix with crystal light lemonade for a John Daly.