Drinking and Diet

Options

Replies

• toddherbert
    toddherbert Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Brew your own beer. You can control the alcohol content (and calories) and still have hoppy beers!
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Vodka & Fresca with a splash of sugar free raspberry syrup
    ~or~
    Guinness and a shot of Jim Beam

Craft Weiss beers occasionally on Saturdays if I worked out really hard that day or did some major physical housework or yardwork (which happens too often but at least I get beer hahaha)
  • TanyaRochelle
    TanyaRochelle Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am so dang thirsty all of a sudden!!!
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm a good beer drinker like the OP.

I log those 20oz mugs of beer that I get. I try to log it right when I order it so I can see what that beer is "costing" me. Some times, I go over on calories and I don't worry about. Sometimes, I don't drink the whole mug. Sometimes I don't have that third beer I really want. Sometimes I even tell them to just give me a pint tonight instead of my mug.

I've made it a rule that I must drink at least one glass of water (restaurant glass, so it's pretty big) before I can order another one. Since I'm a regular at my bar, the bartenders all know me and keep my water flowing. Some nights, I make it a rule that I have to drink 2 before I can have another beer. It's helped.

I also have nights where I drink scotch instead, especially if I know we're going to be there a long time. I drink that at a much slower pace, and I make myself drink 3 waters for ever scotch.

My suggestion is find a plan and stick with it.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It's gotta be after 5 somewhere in the world right now...
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Vodka + water + 0 cal MIO water flavoring = A good night :drinker:
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    vodka & club soda splash of diet cranberry, or white tequlia & club soda with fresh lime and a squirt of lime juice:drinker:
  • meganbook
    Options
    I love my craft brew as well, and there really isn't a substitution for it. That's why if I know I'm going to have a beer, I MUST exercise. Burn at least 2-3 beers worth. I cut back where I can during the day (especially with carbs), and then I enjoy every last sip. I usually have one binge drinking night during the weekends where it's multiple beers, and one casual drinking night (maybe one or two), but very rarely is it during the week, where I am very strict on my diet. Weight loss is definitely slower, but it still comes off. Enjoy those beers, as long as you cut back where you can, you can still enjoy those tasty brews!
  • Jday71
    Jday71 Posts: 39
    Options
    I am a craft beer drinker as well. I have switched to flavored vodka and club soda and diet vernors and Captain morgan when I do want to indulge.
  • AngieWion
    AngieWion Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love my mixed drinks, I used to be a Captain Morgan and 7up but then switched to vodka and a flavored sparkling water raspberry, or peach.
  • Honeybea86
    Options
    Wine is my favorite if I'm out at a bar tho, vodka and water with a lime it's really good and I'm not mixing vodka with sugar loaded fruit juices lol
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Jack Daniels on the rocks. Used to love Jack and Cokes until I realized how much sugar and empty calories it was! So, just cut out that unhealthy soda and I'm left with uber-healthy whiskey. That's how it works, right?

This without the rocks...adding anything to it just makes it yukky!! IMHO
  • popsicle33
    popsicle33 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am finding all this helpful - for I believe it is my love for beer, especially porters, that makes it tough for me to lose much weight. But then I find that when I lay off the porter or the stouts, or the IPAs, or ambers, I actually feel physically better. I suppose for me, it helps to just WAIT FOR IT before I really and truly say it's time to have another. I am trying to give myself a few days in between imbibing so it takes me a while to really crave it. Then, I'll give in a little. I agree. None of that yellow stuff for me - that's wasted calories!
  • CBolliger
    Options
    I have noticed that wine gets on top of me a lot faster than beer, so I tend to drink less wine than I would beer, but man I get the worst hangovers! Makes me think of the next topic "How to drink wine without head splitting hangovers". I really like the idea of adding seltzer water, good tip! I have mixed merlot with coke aka calimocho - which is terribly delicious and terribly not helpful to losing weight, but hey when the Basque are in town what do you do?
  • mecgmecg
    Options
    +1 for doing up some Skyy Vodka and either diet Pepsi or Powerade Zero's of whatever flavor I choose. One shot of this delectable drink is 64 calories, so that in a red cup with diet Pepsi costs me 64 calories, or two shots in a 32 fluid ounce bottle of a Powerade Zero makes 32 fluid ounces of awesome drinking. Total cost to me is 128 calories. I'll take it, either way! :)
  • aquanut22
    aquanut22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi There,
    I too have a love for a good beer especially during ski season! I would rather not drink a beer at all then to switch to a "diet" beer. Switching to wine or mixed drinks are also not of interest to me. After all... a good beer is a good beer! I have 2 tricks. One is to make sure that I exercise enough BEFORE I drink my beer so that I am deserving (in my mind anyway)! The other is to have a glass of water between beers so that I drink less.
  • MRPierce888
    Options
    Alcohol is a big temptation for me too. I am a red wine drinker. If I open a bottle at home I try to limit myself to 2 glasses (taken into consideration that I have "budgeted for the calories with diet and hopefully exercise". With that said, it's easy to overdo it (I do love my malbec!). If I know I'm going to be out with friends for dinner, I eat a light b'fast and lunch, squeeze in at least a brisk 60 minute walk, eat a healthy dinner and indulge with a glass or 2 of wine. Like anything else, I guess you just have to plan and prepare for it. I've switched to Grey Goose and club soda with lemons as a go to cocktail.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I drink whatever I want and work out harder during the week. LOL.

Usually go out Friday and Saturday .. is it bad? Sure.. i like beer.. but I choose vodka and cranberry or gin or wine or anything skinny girl more often now. Occasioanlly a margarita.. but I love the salt.. bad.. I'm always heavier on Monday than I was on Friday.. but by friday it's all gone and then some usually. I forgot to weight myself last week. So I don't know what happened. But I only weight myself on Fridays.. so we'll see what this week brings.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I can't stand beer but I love wine, particularly red or blush. I also like cocktails, but I've steered away, as they have an insane amount of sugar in them. My trick has been to limit portions and frequency. For instance, if you normally would drink two beers every night after work, maybe switch it to every other day, or just on weekends. And get smaller bottles, or (yes, this works--my husband did it) drink half and put the other half in a canning jar (Ball, Kerr, etc). The air-tight lid will keep the carbonation, and it will still be fresh the following day. Or, you can do the legwork of researching which brands have fewer cals/sugar/whatever-you're-avoiding, and stick to those.
  • CBolliger
    Options
    I am so dang thirsty all of a sudden!!!

Me too!