chubby thighs...to resistence train or not?

Options
124»

Replies

• dux1fan
    dux1fan Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump
  • summerfool
    summerfool Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would love to slim my legs too and this is all awesome advice, thanks everyone!
  • D0ry
    D0ry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    One more Thanks for the thread and all the answers. It's very informative to read all this.

I have chubby legs too. I've had lost weight with running before and sure, every time I lose weight, my legs look better than before ;). They usually look like a shrunk version of my bigger legs - e.g. NOT much different definition.

The best visual results so far I've seen after doing 30DS last May, followed by a some other JM workouts and running. And good eating (1500 calories + workout calories). Still - just smaller version looking muuuch better in clothes.

Recently I've read so much about what lifting does, that I decided to give it a try. I'm ending Stage 1 of NROLFW. I've lost some, but not much, as it took me a few weeks to start eating good too. Now I eat 1700/2000 calories (non-WO day/WO day). I think it's working, I see some definition here and there, but I'm not as excited as I have been about other routines.

I still can't give up cardio as a well-known fast fat burner. I know about counter-productivity theory, but on the other hand I want to look better THIS summer, not the next one :/. I'm very confused what to do.

Currently my training looks like this: I go to the gym every 2 or 3 days (1 or 2 days rest). My gym training consists of : 10 minutes warm-up on the treadmill + stretch, then I do the program and then I do 20-25-30 minutes on the elliptical (sometimes - on the treadmill, stepper or bike).
    Do you thing this is wrong approach to the NROLFW? Should I make lifting and cardio on different days, or it doesn't make a difference?

Thanks a lot!
  • lizziep890
    Options
    Try mixing up your resistance training. I started doing Physique 57 workouts at home and have noticed my legs feel tighter. If you're going to use use weights to lift I suggest using 10 lbs weights and doing moves like the single-leg deadlift and side lunges.
  • NerdyJenn
    NerdyJenn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Nobody should be kept out of the weight area due to fear (aside from the fear of how awesome you'll be once you start lifting heavy).

I started lifting mid January and this week I'm at 135lb squats (3 sets of 6). I struggle with my lunges due to my silly hip flexor, so that has stalled out at 40lbs (4 sets of 8 reps). I lift 3 times a week, cardio (30min) 3 times a week.
  • NerdyJenn
    NerdyJenn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh, and another vote for New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Ok I will use this pic to show you what I did to slim my legs a bit. I started to use the eleptical for 30 min a day and lil by little I when up in each level till I wasn't sore anymore. I also just picked up running. I been running since November and my legs fat just melt away! They look so nice and toned I love them! But now I want bigger more muscly legs lol.. So I need to start lifting.

7D0F3FFD-0C41-46DC-A87D-AC4E505526C6-4143-0000038CE17062DD.jpg

Ok edit it to add another better pic.

2E3122EC-CD78-4271-A5B7-C330836D41FB-4143-000003AC36AE4930.jpg

I also do lots of squats and lunges by the way.

Lovely legs! But they had a nice shape even before.