question for parents

Options
1235»

Replies

• diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    True story.My friend and his girlfriend (both in their 20's) got engaged 6 months ago. He put the engagement ring in a pokeball, gave it to her and said 'I choose you!' It's the most romantic proposal I've heard about!!
  • Haddix157
    Options
    I'm 22 and watch cartoons, & still play the pokemon games on DS, I don't think there's anything wrong with that....
  • Momwasix
    Momwasix Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    hell no! I still watch it and have my yu-gi-oh cards :)

64939_476405565728274_401075425_n_zpsc2ff872b.jpg
    lmbo
  • DarthGibbles89
    DarthGibbles89 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There is NOTHING wrong with watching cartoons. Heck, my father is almost 60 and he watches Batman: the Animated Series re-runs with me. My mother also watches Scooby-Doo re-runs. Cartoons are good for us psychologically because it reminds us to laugh and have a sense of humor about things we might not normally find humorous. Laughter is a good source of medicine for problems of all kinds. I remember a few years ago reading about a study on Spongebob Squarepants being used on patients suffering from depression. The results went up after being exposed to the show. I believe as long as it doesn't interfere with other things in life, it shouldn't be a problem.

And you know, I learned a lot of vocabulary by playing Pokemon games. For example, when I was a kid, I began to realize in the older games that the cities are named after different colors. Then I hit Cerulean, and was like, "Oh! What color is that?", and I'll always remember that it's a shade of blue. :3 And then attack names like "flail", which means "to slash or thresh about" which is directly reflected by the way the character moves. So you get a demonstration of the word in action which reinforces its meaning. It's also a strategy game where you have to think of your pokemon's strengths and weakness, and the best way to use those to your advantage against your opponent. I won't go into ethical issues as everyone sees it differently, but from an educational standpoint of my personal experiences, I gained from playing Pokemon games (card and otherwise).

(Sorry that was lengthier than I had anticipated, but I hope it helps.)
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    A quick addition if you are interested. My gaming shop runs Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh Magic the Gathering and role play days. In the last 10 years since we opened, we've seen these children grow up into well rounded, social adults. One group left in September to go to University, they all did well in exams and 2 went to Cambridge University. Others have been to university and come back, got jobs and still game at the weekends.
    Our oldest adult player is 65, admittedly he doesn't play Pokemon any more!
    Get your son to teach your partner how to play! It will be good for both of them!
  • XopherReed
    XopherReed Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 33 and can't wait for my kids to have interests like the ones you're asking about. I still play some videogames (mostly my old 8 and 16-bit systems), watch cartoons, and listen to ska music. Quit worrying so much.
  • ObiRenKenobi
    Options
    My daughter is 16.. She drives her own car, has a job at our church, and is filling out college applications.. She also watches Spongebob and climbs the tree in the front yard..
    Doesn't worry or bother me..
  • laural007
    laural007 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    There could be a lot worse things he is doing at that age. Cartoons and Pokemon cards are really tame. I would relax and enjoy it while it still lasts. one day you may be wishing he was still doing both.

This ^
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 16.. She drives her own car, has a job at our church, and is filling out college applications.. She also watches Spongebob and climbs the tree in the front yard..
    Doesn't worry or bother me..

awesome
  • swhennen85
    Options
    I would have to agree with the majority and say no. They could definitely be doing far more worse than watching cartoons and pokemon cards! I'm 27 and still watch cartoons and play games and such. I think for me it allows me to have a common interest to bond with them more and spend time with them.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Trust me guys i agree with each and everyone of you .My fiancée seems to think its babying him and he needs to do activites that are maturing him instead of babying him.I said the same thing he could be doing worst drugs. sex thank god he's not into that so far that i know of and my fiancée feels he needs to let that go and maybe collect baseball cards instead. My fiancée is from the old school era so the things kids do today are not to his liking.

I take issue with someone who is coming in "new" to a family and complaining about crap that does not impact them. Seriously, how is pokemon directly affecting your fiance? lol

I think this, too. I would be wary of how much "parenting" you allow your fiance to do with your boys--they are 15 and 13 and a couple years from being launched. They have no basis for seeing this guy as a parent, and he has no parenting experience. If it were me and my kids (I also have boys, 11 and almost 14), I would insist that they be polite and respectful to him and I would insist that he refrain from parenting them. If he has an idea about the kids, he can offer it to you, you can weigh it, and it can come from you if you think it will really benefit the kids rather than just pacifying your fiance. I hate when people (many of the bio dads I know are famous for this, too, and probably lots of moms I don't know) say "Kids shouldn't be doing this" with absolutely no knowledge of developmental stages and no willingness to learn.
    P.S. As to your original question, both my kids have outgrown the card games, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it at all. If your son still enjoys it, let him go for it. I know kids my older son's age who still love Pokemon.