I have a "strange" goal.......

Options

Replies

• DanTillson
    DanTillson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to know how one day of intense excerise per month could cause a plateau?

Ditto !
    I'm guessing people haven't read the OP properly.
    Otherwise all those people that do a long distance cycle or half marathon are going to be hitting a plateau.....

Yup, pretty sure they quote (in capitals) ONE day a month. Apart from minimal muscle burn and maybe needing more fuel next day this is hardly unsimilar to fasting at a much lower frequency and doing it 12 days a year won't cause any damage unless I am missing something? :/
  • PQ4321
    PQ4321 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Twinsies! I have thought about this too. It is more a silly one time thing than a weight loss strategy. I plan on trying it this summer when I bike outside. For me it is simply a numbers game. I love statistics and numbers.

Nice to know there are other with weird goals! :-)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to know how one day of intense excerise per month could cause a plateau?

Ditto !
    Otherwise all those people that do a long distance cycle or half marathon are going to be hitting a plateau.....

Yup, pretty sure they quote (in capitals) ONE day a month. Apart from minimal muscle burn and maybe needing more fuel next day this is hardly unsimilar to fasting at a much lower frequency and doing it 12 days a year won't cause any damage unless I am missing something? :/

I thought about the one day per month thing, even then, if you have a lot of weight to lose and are just doing it that one day, that is a really big and long haul 1800 odd calories burnt. Yeah, it would take me three sessions of high rpms on the stationary cycle for 40 mins or so to get there, but would I want to put my body through that? If I was not fit enough, not sure of the preson's level of fitness either...

It is an interesting challenge, but I think you have set the bar a bit high, what we are suggesting is sustainable in the long term stuff, manageable bites, smaller amounts more often. How are you planning to burn the full 1800 cals for example? That is a ****load of exercise...?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

Ditto !

What I am getting from the OP is that he is planning on burning as many calories in the day as he eats - basically netting 0 calories for the day. That is the issue, not that he has a high calorie burn, but that he doesn't plan to fuel it.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Well, I wasn't asking for approval, LOL
    It can't cause a plateau if I am already in one, and I am. And when I get in plateaus they can easily last a month, so this is my plan.

Then why did you bother posting? If you read the information posted here and elsewhere you would already know that this is not a good idea and you would not have gotten into a plateau in the first place..but whatever floats your boat. Enjoy your 'success'.

bingo
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options

Ditto !

What I am getting from the OP is that he is planning on burning as many calories in the day as he eats - basically netting 0 calories for the day. That is the issue, not that he has a high calorie burn, but that he doesn't plan to fuel it.

exactly. i remember reading awhile back that when michael phelps is in training, he'll eat upwards of 20,000 calories a day because he is burning so many calories while working out. if you're going to be doing an intense workout, you need to make absolutely sure that you are eating those back or else your body will not be able to recover from all the strain on it. think about when you try to tan - if you sit out in the sun for 6 hours with no sunscreen, and then fail to apply lotion to your burned body, you're not going to be a happy camper. you're going to get red, peel, possibly scar, and probably get sick. it's just not a smart move.

not to mention that in order to get that large a calorie burn you will probably have to work out for several hours. you only have enough glycogen in your body to fuel you for about an hour. you literally will have to eat while you're working out, or else you're going to bonk, and you don't want to do that. futhermore, if you actually were able to manage to net 0 calories for that day, you will probably be so starved the next day that you'll binge.

OP, if you didn't want approval, you wouldn't have posted. my guess is that you mentioned this plan to a couple individuals who told you it's a stupid idea, then came on here for affirmation, and are now in a huff that you're not getting it. A for effort, D for execution.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

That was my impression as well. Purposefully netting 0 - even for a day - while putting yourself under the enormous strain of a nearly 2,000 calorie burn is a fantastic way to make you sick and likely binge over the next few days.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Good luck with that. :huh:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    but I am hoping that it helps me bust through plateaus.

So, soon, I have this goal I want to hit for ONE DAY a month.... I know that we are supposed to eat back our exercise calories, but here is my goal... I start the day with 1840 calories to eat. I want to do so much exercise that at the end of the day I will still have 1840 calories - or more - remaining when I close my day out..

I plan to start this in February.

You can achieve the same by doing no exercise, and eating no food - you would still have 1840 left to eat at the end of that day.

Still sound sensible?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It can't cause a plateau if I am already in one, and I am. And when I get in plateaus they can easily last a month, so this is my plan.

I can't get pregnant because I'm on my period!

Wait, sorry, wrong thread.

OP: What is your usual calorie intake, calorie burn, and net? How long have you been at it to "make it a plateau"? And as I always ask people... are you taking measurements? Often you'll lose inches when the pounds are not budging, but a plateau is a complete lack of progress, not just one number failing to change.

If all of these are sound for a plateau, one day a month of extreme exercise with a high calorie intake is not too different than staying at the same calorie/same exercise. Most successes in busting through a plateau are changing one or the other... scaling back exercise, keeping same calorie intake. Or keeping same exercise, and upping calorie intake (possibly lowering, if you're at a low deficit, but it seems that most people need to up their calories in a plateau). Hell, it'd make sense if you said, "One day a month, I want to do no exercise and eat at maintenance"... that makes sense.

Upping tons of calories AND exercise is spinning your wheels like you have been... just spinning them faster.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've done something close to that before from running huge amounts (not by design, just trying to cram too much into my day). I doubt one day would cause big long-term problems. However it's not something I'd ever actively try to do or suggest anyone else try. When I have done this, I feel truly awful the next day - low energy, ragged, and more often than not end up way overeating, usually with junk foods. Now I actively try to avoid it if I need to do an unusually long run, by planning a quick high-calorie snack to have right after the run -- something like juice with protein powder to have right away.
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    You sure you don't mean burst a Plato?
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It's weird that people are getting so upset with this since there are a lot of people who IF, and workout, and seem to be perfectly fine. I would just suggest taking some BCAA, they are 0 calories, and will help you keep LBM while doing this. If you are a larger person then you definitely won't have a problem with this, and it is only once a month.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I guess I just don't understand what the point is?
    One day out of an average of 30 doesn't seem like it'd make much of a difference?

Call me crazy but seems consistency might work out better or a zig zagging of calories
    Or maybe cutting out all processed foods

This isn't biggest loser
    I'm assuming you have a job and life and can't workout for 8 hours a day plus and you don't have a few hundred pounds to lose

My sister lost 90lbs in roughly a year doing Jillian Michaels, then P90X, then insanity
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options

Which is good, because you probably won't get much, if any. I'm curious as to how you came up with this idea. It doesn't seem based on any 'plan' I've seen before and could have some negative effects.

Also, as others have asked, why post it if you aren't seeking approval. If it works for you, then come back in a couple of months with a, this is how I break my plateau, thread.

Otherwise, you are just adding to a plethora of questionable ideas that get bandied about in these forums.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You sure you don't mean burst a Plato?

:laugh:
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Save yourself the effort and just don't eat for a day :smokin:
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Awesome guy go for it...
    Actually might try to do it once a month as well...
    Super challenge...
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I guess I just don't understand what the point is?
    One day out of an average of 30 doesn't seem like it'd make much of a difference?

Call me crazy but seems consistency might work out better or a zig zagging of calories
    Or maybe cutting out all processed foods

This isn't biggest loser
    I'm assuming you have a job and life and can't workout for 8 hours a day plus and you don't have a few hundred pounds to lose

My sister lost 90lbs in roughly a year doing Jillian Michaels, then P90X, then insanity

LOL @ "This isn't biggest loser"
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    A goal usually has some kind of purpose. What is the purpose of this?