Does anyone get frustrated watching The Biggest Loser?

Options

Replies

• missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    :)))
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    No, because I don't watch it. There used to be a good show on A&E called "Heavy" that showed people really working at making a change because they wanted to be healthy and live a better life - not because they would win a prize.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I actually get MOTIVATED watching The Biggest Loser. No, I have NEVER, in one week, got the results that alot of them get (high numbers), but then again i have to take into consideration that I don't work out like they do...still it motivates me bc if someone who weighs either the same or more than I currently weigh, and can work out the way they do, I know I can too...if I want to :):):)
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    As much as I'd love to have a 10 or 15 # loss every week, it isn't going to happen for most anyone in the real world beginning a journey to being healthy. I get a little disgruntled at the fact my weekly loss average right now is about 2 # - no starving (1600 calories + 5 days of exercise) because it seems to be slow (especially compared to that show!) - but in reality I am a wife, mom and have a full time job... I don't have 8 hours a day to work out and I certainly have a nutritionist scheduling my meals.
    Love every # you lose and look forward to the next one...That's my game plan :)
  • mmowery31
    mmowery31 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    it tends to inspire me when i watch. i see these people who are so overweight and they're running on treadmills and doing these crazy workouts. it's motivating to me knowing that if they can do it so can i!

I do like how they are focusing on the childhood obesity as well. Kids nowadays only have 1 day a week of gym class and all these gadgets at home and they're never out playing. whether it be because of ipods, video games, tv etc. or the crime is too much in this country that it's just not safe to ride your bike all over town like kids used to do. it's sad really.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    I don't watch, but it doesn't sound reasonable or healthy. But if it gets rating, of course they'll make it happen...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I agree that it sets unrealistic expectations for what people can achieve under normal circumstances. When you have to go to work, look after kids, prepare all your own meals, shop on a budget etc, then you aren't going to lose large amounts in a short time, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Losing fat in a healthy and sustainable way, so that when it's gone it doesn't come back again, is what people should be aiming for. Without doing hours of exercise daily, you're not going to burn more than about 2lb fat in a week (maybe 3lb a week if you are very obese).

I think people do need to redefine what is success in terms of fat loss, and instead of thinking that bigger loss= more success, think in terms of long term maintenance = success. IMO losing any amount of pure fat is success, even if it's just 0.5lb. Losing 3lb when half of it is is lean body mass is not success, it's a sign you're not eating enough and storing up problems for later on.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    It's the same when seeing celebrities after they have had a baby or suddently lost a lot of weight... I used to get frustrated, BUT if I could hire multiple trainers, a cook, a nutritionist, AND not have to work a 'normal' day job... then sure, I could do it too.

Haha. My mom and I joke about that all the time. If I had someone to cook for me and measure out all my food I could stay on track so easily - I don't have to do any work!!

I used to get frustrated by it. But not for myself - since I know that being 5'2'' I was never going to lose 12 pounds in a week! I get frustrated at how upset they get if they get under 10pounds in a week. You lost weight!! That's something they weren't trying to do at all at home!
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    apparently no one read the article about what they actually do on the show
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I actually stopped watching it for that reason and because it became so much more about game play than people's lives, which are what's really at stake in that competition. But I definitely feel like ughh, why have they lost in one week what takes me 6 weeks to lose?! But then I remember that one, they gave up everything to be there and do that 24/7. I have a life that I am changing to accomodate my fitness goals rather than tossing aside. And then I thank God that I don't have any co-morbidities that accompany my obesity that would make me need to take extreme measures such as gastric, biggest loser, etc.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I am not frustrated. The truth is some of those folks eat 12,000 calories a day, so a switch down to a normal 2-3,000 makes a huge difference.

I am convinced that if you don't change the lifestyle, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you lose the weight. The reason folks who lose quickly gain it back is because they do a crash diet which they cannot sustain. Even those who lose it slowly often end up gaining it back.

They key to weight loss is changing your lifestyle. If that relies on heroic efforts in food manipulation or exercise, your chances are slim to none for having success. That is why I think cheat days, cleansing, fasting, and standing on your head are all unsustainable weight loss techniques.

In the end even weight loss the requires 6 days of cardio or weight training is probably not sustainable as well.

The question is can you do what you are doing today for 5 years and still have success?
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    The show is disgusting for one simple reason: the way that they achieve the weight loss is by doing exactly that, before each weigh in they spend 2 hours working out in all the clothing that they can find, so that they shed as much water weight for their weigh in. There is no emphasis placed on men losing body fat and retaining muscle, they just shred shred shred, they key to winning the quarter of a million dollar prize is to lose as much fat and muscle mass as possible to win...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/business/media/25loser.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Most of the contestants gain 10-20 pounds in the week after the finale, most of it from water. Chronic dehydration is NOT how NBC should be showing America how to lose weight
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/06/23/biggest-loser-controversy-kai-hibbard-speaks-out/

I can't find the link to her blog, but she talks about all kinds of things: her friend being forced to workout with a knee injury and crying that the doctor TOLD her not to, and they edited it to where she's just saying, "I can't... I can't..." to make her look weak instead of the reality of telling the trainer she was under doctor's orders not to move her knee, that same friend receiving hate email (like the person above who said they shouldn't whine because they were given this opportunity), dehydration weigh-ins, manipulating the schedule and final edit (as in two weeks had passed between weigh-ins instead of one), etc.

I will never watch that show. It sets unrealistic expectations, and exercise shouldn't be used as torture. If someone is puking, unconscious, or injured, they need to STOP.

Edit: awesome. Someone above me found the blog. :)
  • TheRealPDouble
    Options
    here's how i avoid being frustrated by TV shows.

i don't watch.

:-)

What is this sorcery of which you speak?!?!
  • samlankford
    Options
    have tried to watch it twice, I maybe the only person that gets pissed off at all the excuses they throw out there... I'll stick to watching hockey and goofy sitcoms :bigsmile:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated, too. I think Jillian Michaels is unnecessarily harsh and cruel and that the people on that show are at great risk of personal harm from the way they are treated. I think if that was all I knew about getting fit, I just wouldn't ever want to do it. Why torture yourself or be tortured by a trainer like that? I wonder if those contestants really think it was all worth it, in the end. I think if someone asked me to choose between months of misery, mental and physical abuse, with a CHANCE at big money and some weight loss vs. using these FREE tools here to end up at a healthy weight at my own pace, I would go for the MFP way.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated, too. I think Jillian Michaels is unnecessarily harsh

I know right? Am I the only one who thinks that these california fitness people who work on the show only have the goal of GIVING an eating disorder to all the contestants?

They use the words "About to die" "on the verge of death" and "effective age of 70 years old" WAYY Too flippin often!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Chronic dehydration is NOT how NBC should be showing America how to lose weight

If Americans need NBC to show them how to lose weight, they're in trouble.