Who Just Eats Normal VS Who Eats Healthy/Organic/Low Carb...

Options
I see alot of people eating different ways on here and I know everyone has their own way of doing things and I am not against or for andy particular plan. I have done Low Carb (wouldn't really call it Atkins) and I have done Weight Watchers and I have done Sugar Busters (kinda my own version) and I have done regular eating by just eating what I want, but eating the right portions and watching my calorie count. The latter is what I am currently doing at the moment. I have done weight loss off and on since I had my little girl 5 years ago. I really found Low Carb worked the quickest and I have never gained back the weight when I would transition over to something different.

I lost the first 25-30lbs by joining Weight Watchers then a started Low Carb with a friend and lost 15 then went back to WW and in between a couple times did the low/no sugar thing. Everything I have done has actually worked and that would be because the saying "if you pay attention to one particular thing on your diet it will work". A few months ago I went back Low Carb because I love the less bloated feeling and feel great doing it but that is not a lifestyle for me. I got down to my new and final goal of 145 and now I am just doing the normal watching my calories and maintaining. One thing I have kept to is keeping my bread intake down. I would bring a sandwich on my WW diet for lunch eat oatmeal for breakfast then have potatoes or something for dinner along with my meat. I now try to keep my carb intake around 150ish and by doing that it usually helps keep the sugar intake down and I can maintain easier by not overlaoding on carbs.

I am a challenge loving person so I believe that is the reason that I have done so much over the past 5 years. When I got bored on one diet I changed to another instead of just falling off the wagon. And I have learned a vast amount of nutrition knowledge to from this. I weighed 212 the day I joined WW and weighed in but that wasn't my heaviest. I think I was around 230ish when I delivered my little girl. Now I am 140lbs and had origionally set out with a goal of 155lbs. I will ALWAYS love the challenge of weight loss although I do not need to lose anymore weight at all because I am very thin at 5'9". My husband laughs because when anyone wants to lose weight they come right to me for advice and want to know what to eat and what not to eat. I love it. Anyways, I could talk all day about it but what do you do and what have you found that works for you?

I used to excercise daily at least jogging/walking 3-5 miles but after breaking a leg, dislocating a knee, 2 bulging disk in my kneck and 3 in my lower back, I do good to walk at all (which that should change a bt after I have my ACL and PCL repaired) but I REALLY MISS THE fitness part of it to! I want to hear your story and waht you have done and waht was your favorite and waht worked best for you and if you are now in maintenance what have you carried with you as new habits with your new lifestyle that is a longterm and maintainable lifestyle for you =)

Edited to break down into paragraphs. That didn't cross my mind when I did it because I didn't realize how long it was =)
I also want to add over the past 5 years gradual weight loss has been aprx 90lbs. Being so tall it never look horrible on me but I love being thin and the compliments!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Wall of text, not a desirable way to read.......Edit and get that into paragraphs.
  • skinnymoomoo
    skinnymoomoo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I tend to just eat whatever I want, as long as I stick within my calories and fats. I don't ban myself from anything. cause if I know I can't have it, I will just want it more haha I think the best thing to do is just change the way you eat forever, so it has to be something you can stick with forever without falling off the wagon. The way I do it is best for me and works for me. x
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    Wall of text, not a desirable way to read.......Edit and get that into paragraphs.

sheesh! Bit rude, what are you? the grammar police?
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think the key is to find what works best for you everyone’s body is different and will react to foods differently.

I have found eating organic vegetarian and no added oil works best for me. I have little to no processed foods working on cuttingit out alltogether. Would like to go to being Plant base in 2013. A huge change for me came when I researching what was in the food I was eating GMO’s, Processed foods and food additives. I do not want to put them in my body and I have never felt healthier.

At lunch take an ingredient in your processed food you can’t pronounce and plug it in to Google and see what it actually is and side effects of it.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options

I get what they mean, I find blocks of text like that offputting too, I only read the first bit to get the gist.

OP, I eat healthily but normally, the majority of my meals are what you would class as healthy with 'treats' thrown in. I haven't cut out anything as I'm hoping this will be the way I eat for life.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I've been successful-ish (meaning I'm not always perfect) with my diet over the past three years (30 lbs lost) and I have always done the exercise more, eat less method. I don't cut out any one food group but mainly because that method never worked for me in the past. It's slow going but that's ok with me. It's cool that something different works for others and I'm all for that. I was relieved that your post was just a curiosity one and not one where you said something along the lines of, "well this worked for me so everyone else should do it or be unhealthy." Thanks for that.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I eat what I always ate, just less.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Posts like that look like one giant run-on sentence. It does make reading and comprehension of the point more difficult. The content was good.

I eat normally, just in smaller portions. Fast food, chocolate, ice cream, full-fat condiments are all still part of my food plan. My healthier choices are often by default and not wanting to deal with hunger. (A sandwich is more filling than a doughnut.) Portion control was a huge problem for me, working on that is doing me a world of good at this time.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't read more than the first sentence because it was an overwhelming paragraph there.

But in response to what I believe the subject is,

I eat like a normal person, like I will eat for the rest of my life. I eat infinitely better than I used to, and I make small changes all the time to make my diet better, but basically I eat what I want to. Just...less and with some substitutions or alterations. I don't buy into organic. Low carb would make me an angry person haha
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I don't eat low carb or any other diet plan, I just eat. Under my calories, meeting my macros, and adding in veggies as much as possible. I do still eat chips, chocolate, pizza, fast food..etc. But in moderation and as part of a balanced diet. A big part of this for me is to teach myself self control and how to make better decisions, so cutting anything completely out of my plan wouldn't be useful to me.
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options

Posts like that look like one giant run-on sentence. It does make reading and comprehension of the point more difficult. The content was good.

Yeah, I know it was harder to read but so what. No need to berate her for it though, if you don't want to read something then don't. I still managed to read it fine.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Yeah, I know it was harder to read but so what. No need to berate her for it though, if you don't want to read something then don't. I still managed to read it fine.

I don't thinks she was berating the OP. She just stated what it was, that it was hard to read and then suggested how to fix it. She said the same thing you did (that it's harder to read), just more concisely. She just didn't throw in a bunch of fluffy, kid glove words. I read it all the way through but it would be easier if she broke it up a bit.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    another "didn't read it" vote, here.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Weight when I graduated high school: 185. Highest weight: 240 in 2005.
    1: First step in my journey: Gall bladder pain, then surgery -- couldn't eat for 30 days. 20 lbs lost.
    2: cut out HFCS and trans fat -- 15 more pounds lost
    3: (this was before MFP, keep in mind) "Pretend" I'm diabetic, and follow ADA "exchange" diet for 1200 calories -- 30 more pounds lost
    4: get bored. Become vegetarian -- 10 pounds lost
    5: get bored again. Become vegan/raw -- 10 pounds lost
    6: get bored and stressed. Join gym -- 10 pounds lost.
    7: life gets REALLY stressful. stop eating, stop going to gym -- 15 pounds lost. Lowest weight 130 in 2008
    8: life gets back to normal, start eating vegetarian again with sushi now and then -- 15 pounds gained
    9: join roller derby team, start eating meat and drinking lots of beer -- 10 pounds gained
    10: break collarbone, twice, get a little lazy -- 10 pounds gained -- top recent weight 165
    11: bones heals, buckle down and get back to being healthy -- current weight 160. Currently moving towards eating like I did in step 8.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I still eat normally; I just don't eat as much of the bad stuff or as often. My husband and I save fast food for our grocery shopping trips every other Saturday, and lately, we either haven't wanted fast food or have just gone to Subway as opposed to McDonald's or KFC. We still buy Pepsi, but a 24 pack will now last us about a month instead of 1-2 weeks. For now, I'm just practicing making small changes and watching my portions & frequency of junk food.
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options

I don't thinks she was berating the OP. She just stated what it was, that it was hard to read and then suggested how to fix it. She said the same thing you did (that it's harder to read), just more concisely. She just didn't throw in a bunch of fluffy, kid glove words. I read it all the way through but it would be easier if she broke it up a bit.

I read it as someone having a go. A Grammar Nazi. ... could have easily just said "Hey maybe you should edit your post and break it up a bit as that was quite hard to read" .. at the end of a post in which she referred to the OP's topic. Lets just stop the discussion about how its typed here eh, as it's not the topic of discussion that the OP wanted.
  • Beauteous1987
    Beauteous1987 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I fill my fridge with veggies and fruits. Having a wide variety makes it easier to make the focus of my meals plant based rather than meat or carbs.
  • keyz1508
    keyz1508 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I cut out pop/soda, no fast food (maybe wendys 1 a month), lesd sweets like chocolate and cookies, more fruit, no hamburger, just.chicken n turkey mostly. I watch my portions and excerise maybe 4 times a week. It seems to be wrking so far!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Thank you.

And no, I was not being rude. It is rarely questionable as to when I am being rude. Subtlety is not my strong suit. If you managed to read the post easily, then you might have better eyes than some of us. As it stands, I said the content was good and related my own experience as to what the OP was asking for. The information the OP was asking for will give other members a chance to see what has worked for others and what kinds of eating they might be able to incorporated into their own plans.

This is a good thing.

I'm hardly the grammar police, either. In fact, my grammar is pretty terrible most days.
  • cjk76
    cjk76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat what I did eat, but changed the proportions. I used to have .4-.5 plate meat, .4-.5 plate starch, 0-.1 fruits and veggies. I also used to snack a lot.

Now I make sure that around half of my plate is veggies with little starch and controlled amounts of meat. I don't specifically go for organic/unprocessed foods, but that's the way it ends up. Veggies generally aren't processed much and all those super processed foods I used to eat were snacks with high calorie counts and didn't make me full.

Sticking to lots of nuts and veggies and regular servings of everything else is just easier to stay at your goals.