• _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Ketchup, yes
    Syrup, no
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Ketchup yes, syrup I have none in the house, but I wouldn't - my parents never did.
  • mcshoelovin22
    mcshoelovin22 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Only my ketchup
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Ketchup yes, syrup no...:)
    ^this

I'm with them.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I use real maple syrup. I've never had it mold and it generally takes me a couple of years to go through a container. It just crystallizes.
    I bought a gallon at the local maple festival last March. Don't think it lived to see fall. Awesome PA stuff! nomnomnom
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Both are supposed to be refrigerated once opened. If left at room temperature they easily gather bacteria. It's gross. Put them in the fridge.
  • busywifehealthylife
    Options
    I don't refrigerate either after opening. I hate cold ketchup. It grosses me out. I rarely use maple syrup but I have never put it in the fridge. I have never had an issue and have always done it this way.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Yahoo Answers says:

"Unless it's artificial syrup, pure maple syrup is actually tree sap that has the water boiled off to make it thick. If not refrigerated it becomes perfect breeding ground for mould and yeast (begins to ferment). It is recommended to take it out of the fridge in advance when you plan to use it, as it's best served at room temperature. Then return it to the fridge again for storage."
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    for people who said "no" to syrup, keep in mind that most of the low cost brands sold today in grocery stores (like Log Cabin) are not maple syrup and don't actually contain any maple syrup. they're artificial, made with corn syrup and artificial flavors and colors. these you can leave in your pantry. there's nothing really wrong with them if you like them, but they're not "real" maple syrup.

if you're buying the "real" stuff (you'll know because of the price), then you should refrigerate it after opening. it can become a breeding ground for mold if left in the pantry after opening.
  • peachhunting
    peachhunting Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I own a maple sugar bush - please store your syrup in the fridge. I go one step further and I freeze mine. takes mere minutes in a pot with hot water to thaw and be ready to serve.