Dairy unhealthy? dairy/almond/rice or soy?

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to add to the discussion except to say that I'm with you on the goat's milk thing. Goat milk and cheese taste like the animal smells (to me, personal preference only), and they don't smell great. But, I have raised pigs and goats simultaneously in the past and nothing tastes better than goat milk fed pork. It's almost worth milking a goat at 6am and 6pm, just to have a freezer full of the best tasting pork in the world.

Off topic? Yes but this thread will get enough milage that I'm sure I didn't hurt it, lol.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Also, Cow's milk is PROVEN to help in building lean muscle and losing weight!
    Drink yo' milk! :)

Milk also came out as the best post-workout recovery drink for preventing muscle soreness the next day: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00p293l

I don't have an intolerance to dairy and good old-fashioned milk is cheaper than all the alternatives (which taste fine with cereal but horrible in a nice cup of tea) so it is my choice every time.

I'm not very well versed on post workout eating/drinking (working on it) so this was pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Almond milk works for me. I usually make my own at home so there are no additives/carrageen in it.
    Many people have a moral objection to drinking milk which kind of makes sense to me. Cow's milk is meant for baby cows just like human milk is meant for baby humans. While there are animals on earth that eat meat I'm not aware of any other than humans that harvest milk from other species. The dairy industry also causes the veal industry to exist because of all the leftover male dairy cows.
    I have a mild allergy to milk, it was causing skin issues, migraines, etc. I don't think we need as much protein as the gov't tells us. I do fine on protein being vegan.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Almond milk works for me. I usually make my own at home so there are no additives/carrageen in it.
    Many people have a moral objection to drinking milk which kind of makes sense to me. Cow's milk is meant for baby cows just like human milk is meant for baby humans. While there are animals on earth that eat meat I'm not aware of any other than humans that harvest milk from other species. The dairy industry also causes the veal industry to exist because of all the leftover male dairy cows.
    I have a mild allergy to milk, it was causing skin issues, migraines, etc. I don't think we need as much protein as the gov't tells us. I do fine on protein being vegan.

How much protein does your government tell you to eat? Most actually advise only small servings of meat and fish, 2 to 3 ounces (60g to 85g or a deck of cards or the palm of your hand. The US government recommends the equivalent of 5 to 6 ounces (140 to 170g) of meat a day for most adults which is not that much protein since meats and fish are roughly 25% protein (35g to 43g). There are clear vegetarian and vegan alternatives within the protein group so in no way are they saying people must eat meat or fish for this.

"research on the topic is still emerging. The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day—that’s about 58 grams for a 160 pound adult. In the U.S., adults get an average of 15 percent of their calories from protein; for a person who requires a 2,000-calorie-per-day-diet, that’s about 75 grams of protein. In healthy people, increasing protein intake to 20 to 25 percent of calories can reduce the risk of heart disease, if the extra protein replaces refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, white rice, or sugary drinks. Higher protein diets can also be beneficial for weight loss, in conjunction with a reduced calorie diet, although long-term evidence of their effectiveness is wanting.

For people in good health, consuming 20 to 25 percent of calories from protein won’t harm the kidneys. For people with diabetes or early-stage kidney disease, however, the American Diabetes Association recommends limiting protein intake to 0.8 to 1.0 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight (roughly 10 percent of energy intake), since this may help improve kidney function"
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/protein-questions/
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/proteinfoods_amount_table.html
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/proteinfoods_counts_table.html
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My response was based purely on my opinion. I do not have exact numbers on how much protein is recomended. I guess I just wanted to weigh in and say that I believe we do not need to eat dairy to be healthy.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Didn't realize all cows were from a happy farmer on a happy little farm lol if you believe that you're the one that's misinformed. Enjoy your pusy, bloody, antibiotic, hormone laden milk hun
    One could make the same ridiculous statements about insect carcasses and bird feces on your veggies which are grown in fields filled with cow and pig crap. But all you are doing is promoting eating disorders, which IIRC is a violation of the terms of this site.

Have you ever even seen a cow? I mean on a real farm in real life, not watching some peta propaganda video. They do just fine on dairy farms and are happy to be milked. If cows were "wild and free" (even if they could survive) they would be pregnant as often as physiologically possible too.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Didn't realize all cows were from a happy farmer on a happy little farm lol if you believe that you're the one that's misinformed. Enjoy your pusy, bloody, antibiotic, hormone laden milk hun
    One could make the same ridiculous statements about insect carcasses and bird feces on your veggies which are grown in fields filled with cow and pig crap. But all you are doing is promoting eating disorders, which IIRC is a violation of the terms of this site.

Have you ever even seen a cow? I mean on a real farm in real life, not watching some peta propaganda video. They do just fine on dairy farms and are happy to be milked. If cows were "wild and free" (even if they could survive) they would be pregnant as often as physiologically possible too.

Lol not drinking dairy isn't an eating disorder. You have to be joking
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

In other words, you've never been anywhere near a cow or a dairy farm.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    You do not need the dairy from cows. It would be more natural to drink human dairy, of course who does that besides babies?

You can buy gmo-free nut milks which also lack the hormones, pus, blood, antibiotics and other chemicals found in dairy, you can also purchase gmo-free, organic nut milks. Most nut milks have more calcium than dairy milk per serving, so even if it's not absorbed as well, which I still question that "fact", there is more therefore you'd probably get about the same amount from it as you would dairy milk. The majority of the world's population cannot properly digest milk outside of infancy so your own body is telling you that you shouldn't be having it in adulthood.

^I don't think you read the thread. I really am here to figure out if anyone has an actual reason that could be valid...but like I said before, my milk is free of hormones, pus, blood, antibiotics, and is a complete protein, and like the original post said the calcium in milk is more bio-available so I'm not sure what your point is for having more of it if I'm not going to absorb it. You can look up the bioavailability of milk...everywhere...I doubt you'll find any reliable source that states otherwise. So if you don't like the link available you can feel free to research the entire internet since it's been proven many other times and I've never heard the opposite.

And where is the link that says the majority of the world cannot propery digest milk otherwise? And why is it out of all the people I know in the world I only know one person that is lactose intolerant if that is true? How is my own body telling me that I shouldn't be having it in adulthood? I go off and on drinking lots of milk and so far I haven't run into any complications?

Please explain to me this 'unnatural to consume' after age x phenomena.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

In other words, you've never been anywhere near a cow or a dairy farm.

In otherwords you make up eating disorders
  • CoderGal
    Options
    You do not need the dairy from cows. It would be more natural to drink human dairy, of course who does that besides babies?

You can buy gmo-free nut milks which also lack the hormones, pus, blood, antibiotics and other chemicals found in dairy, you can also purchase gmo-free, organic nut milks. Most nut milks have more calcium than dairy milk per serving, so even if it's not absorbed as well, which I still question that "fact", there is more therefore you'd probably get about the same amount from it as you would dairy milk. The majority of the world's population cannot properly digest milk outside of infancy so your own body is telling you that you shouldn't be having it in adulthood.

Stop with the blood, pus and anitbiotics nonsense. That is just false and fear mongering. How about you try dealing if facts? You don't want to drink cow's milk don't but stop with the orthorexia!!

I didn't say anything that wasn't true lol if you want to drink milk, go for it. Or are the facts too scary?

They are not facts. They are your nonsensical fear mongering. Explain to me why a dairy farmer would milk a cow with an udder infection that was pussing?? His animals are his livelyhood. Why would he intentionally endanger the animal. Milk with antibiotics is not allowed to be distributed by law and is inspected regulary. An exactly what "chemical" are added to milk??

Take off the tinfoil hat and get yourself informed.
    [/quote

You keep saying that despite the regulations showing that this is not allowed in many places in the world, care to explain why you are asuming they are drinking that when they are in a place where someone could be sued and farmers lives could be ruined if it were true?
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I would be happy to provide you some links if first tell me if that will accomplish anything. Usually with posts like this the questioner is hit with facts and Tries refute them, really not looking for facts, but an argument. If that is not your intention feel free to pm me.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    My response was based purely on my opinion. I do not have exact numbers on how much protein is recomended. I guess I just wanted to weigh in and say that I believe we do not need to eat dairy to be healthy.

Fair enough. I don't think anyone said or implied that though. I'm asking why isn't it.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    In moderation a little bit of everything is fine. You Canadians are lucky to have the safest milk in the world.
  • themutineer
    themutineer Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I make my own almond milk, as it is relatively easy and inexpensive. I can use the almond pulp left over after the straining process to make a variety of different things as well.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I would be happy to provide you some links if first tell me if that will accomplish anything. Usually with posts like this the questioner is hit with facts and Tries refute them, really not looking for facts, but an argument. If that is not your intention feel free to pm me.

I'm actually asking because I'm a fence sitter on many topics. And to tell you the truth I am likely to refute many things I do or don't believe just for the sake of getting another idea or view on things, because someone else well likely refute what I said. And sometimes I learn from it. But as for this particular topic always goes I've never heard anything proving that milk is bad for people ever that applies to me. And all of the things I have seen has been ridiculously easy to argue against even if I don't care about the topic or which side of the fence it falls on. The only things I usually hear about are the things you have already mentioned in the first post that have been proven to not be true since there exists laws in a system that checks and punishes those who do not follow said laws about pus antibiotics etc. So it just seems like a bunch of people who don't know what they're talking about are running off at the mouth with nothing to say even though many of them know they're not telling the truth and are in fact fear mongering. But Some people who run off at the mouth do it because they have a very strong reason for it, they're just bad with words. And they're either really ill informed, big liars for another reason, or they're not saying the thing that I don't know about. I'm just wondering if there's anything that could cause dairy to be unhealthy. There's many things proven from other foods to be bad but in particular situations to the point you could argue that some of those things could be bad for you. The only thing I've seen with milk is lactose intolerance, nothing more serious then that. I'm impartial. I go off and on and off milk. If it wasn't so easy to get everything I needed from it and how its so easily absorbed then I'd probably never drink it.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I make my own almond milk, as it is relatively easy and inexpensive. I can use the almond pulp left over after the straining process to make a variety of different things as well.

Great idea, have any suggestions for recipes? I've been thinking of trying to make the almond milk just to see how different it tastes compared to the store bought stuff.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

So you just made a dig at your government's healthy eating recommendations without actually knowing what they are? Now you do from my post, have you changed your negative opinion of the government on this point? This baseless adversarial posturing is what keeps me from having much respect for many members of the Not Milk and animal rights brigades.

I don't think anyone has claimed we NEED dairy to be healthy, it's simply an extremely convenient and natural way to get a raft of nutrients including calcium. Over multiple threads nobody has yet come up with a practical, natural alternative - only foods that you need to eat hundreds of grams or even kilos of (almonds, leafy greens, oranges) or frankenfoods made in a laboratory/ factory and fortified with chalk. I have zero problem with people choosing to cut out a food group, I do have a problem with them claiming that food group is unhealthy or unnecessary without bothering to recommending an equally nutritious alternative. If humans don't need grains or dairy or meat/ fish then clearly we should be able to get a balanced diet from other wholefoods, no fortifying and no supplementing.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

I'm actually asking because I'm a fence sitter on many topics. And to tell you the truth I am likely to refute many things I do or don't believe just for the sake of getting another idea or view on things, because someone else well likely refute what I said. And sometimes I learn from it. But as for this particular topic always goes I've never heard anything proving that milk is bad for people ever that applies to me. And all of the things I have seen has been ridiculously easy to argue against even if I don't care about the topic or which side of the fence it falls on. The only things I usually hear about are the things you have already mentioned in the first post that have been proven to not be true since there exists laws in a system that checks and punishes those who do not follow said laws about pus antibiotics etc. So it just seems like a bunch of people who don't know what they're talking about are running off at the mouth with nothing to say even though many of them know they're not telling the truth and are in fact fear mongering. But Some people who run off at the mouth do it because they have a very strong reason for it, they're just bad with words. And they're either really ill informed, big liars for another reason, or they're not saying the thing that I don't know about. I'm just wondering if there's anything that could cause dairy to be unhealthy. There's many things proven from other foods to be bad but in particular situations to the point you could argue that some of those things could be bad for you. The only thing I've seen with milk is lactose intolerance, nothing more serious then that. I'm impartial. I go off and on and off milk. If it wasn't so easy to get everything I needed from it and how its so easily absorbed then I'd probably never drink it.

I figured as much. Good luck with that.
  • pyro2uk
    pyro2uk Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I figured as much. Good luck with that.

I for one am interested in your links assuming the following:

1. They are not propaganda pages;
    2. They contain evidence from actual studies, not anecdotes ("the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.")
    3. Where there are studies/evidence, it is peer-reviewed
    4. The studies are modern (5 years old or less) and the country/countries where testing occurred are stated - this is to ensure legislation is easy to source

If your links meet these requirements, I will approach them with an open mind. If not, then I will assume that your position is contrary for the sake of it.