Morning Exercise

Options

Replies

• bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Here's what I did and totally recommend... (baby steps)...

Go to bed 15 minutes earlier the night before and get up just 15 minutes earlier the next morning. do 20 minutes of cardio to get your blood flowing. Try this for a few weeks and you should see that your body will natural adjust to the new schedule. Then add 5 minutes on each end so now you are going to bed 20 minutes earlier and waking up 20 minutes earlier. Again, do this for a few weeks and your body should adjust.

The nice part of doing it in baby steps is that you don't feel like you lose too much sleep time in the morning and you don't lose too much time at night either.

I used to go to bed at 10:30 every night and up at 5:30. Then I slowly adjusted this schedule and now I am in bed by 9:00 and lights out at 9:30. I try to roll out of bed by 4:45. It's still not easy but it's easier!

Good Luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I need help. I want so badly to get up in the morning and workout. Working out after work takes precious time away from my kids. Every day around this time I say to myself "Tomorrow is the day! I am going to get my butt up and work out." Well 5:30 comes around the next day I can't (okay won't) get out of bed. That last 30-45 minutes of sleep seems more important. I am so exhausted.

I know there are many people out there that started out this way. How did you do it? What made it click? I know the common answer is "Just do it". I say that to myself, but ugh.. I don't "Do it".

Please suggestions???
    Can't get up? Then eat a heavy breakfast and workout on your lunch break.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • huzan21
    huzan21 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    that's an awesome idea!
  • huzan21
    huzan21 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    that's an awesome idea!
  • trishmce
    Options
    I used to work out after work. But late work hours or traffic would make me miss Spin class and I wanted not to think just be pushed. I would lift but it wasn't enough. I get up about 4:15am to get to the around 5 3 weekdays a week . The night before I pack everything I need and put what I can in the car (usually change of clothes on a hanger for work and gym bag). In the morning I grab whatever else I am bringing, Mondays it is food for the week, and get out the door. By 7:15 I have lifted for 45 and done intense cardio for 45 and I am showered changed and out the door. It's done, no excuses no missing workouts and I am home for my family after work.
    One tip that has helped me is I make oatmeal for the week and pack it up in individual containers, I either bring one with me or bring 5 into work on Monday and I am set. I also belong to a "salad club" where each person brings a component and we keep them in the office fridge, mid week we resupply. Lunch is healthy cheap and available, on workout days I add chickpeas and cheese or chicken for protein. Doing this Sunday night/afternoon takes the pressure off during the week so you can get to bed early. I am in bed between 9 and 10 on weeknights at the latest.
    Also bring a small bottle (8oz)of lowfat chocolate milk to the gym and drink it right after your workout. It will fuel the next one. Give it a couple of weeks and you will be glad.
  • Anngetsfit
    Anngetsfit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been getting up 5 days a week for over 5 years now. I wake up at 4:30 am M-F and am at the gym by 5:00am. My alarm clock is across the room so I have to get up to shut it off. Lay out your clothes the night before so once you are out of bed just grab your clothes and go. Over the past few years I have made friends with several people at the gym who are there at the same time and now there is no way I will miss a day because I know they will never let me live it down. We push each other in a good way. When people ask me how I do it every morning I just tell them it is not on option for me. It does not matter what I did the night before or when I got to bed. I am at the gym at 5:00 am.
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're going to bed early enough to get a good night's sleep. That will make a big difference to how you feel getting out of bed in the morning. And I agree with the idea of baby steps that bgelliott explained. Bottom line: you deserve to take yourself seriously and organize your life to do whatever it takes to allow you to enthusiastically get moving.

Best wishess!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    When it becomes important to you, you'll make it happen. Right now, the sleep is more important. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, good or bad, it's just where you are right now.

Pretty much this.

Also OP...a lot of people tend to confuse weight loss goals with fitness goals. They are two very different things, though often run in parallel. Weight loss is 100% diet and caloric deficit...exercise is not necessary to lose weight if you're eating a caloric deficit. Once you determine that you also want to achieve a certain level of fitness you are more apt to find the time to exercise whether that be morning, noon, or night. That's the way it worked for me...I was losing weight with diet alone and started feeling so good that I just wanted to exercise and regain the fitness of my youth. Now you can hardly keep me out of the gym...it's all I can do to keep myself from hitting the weight room more than 3 days per week to lift heavy...I literally have to restrain myself to let my body repair.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Go to bed 15 minutes earlier the night before and get up just 15 minutes earlier the next morning. do 20 minutes of cardio to get your blood flowing. Try this for a few weeks and you should see that your body will natural adjust to the new schedule. Then add 5 minutes on each end so now you are going to bed 20 minutes earlier and waking up 20 minutes earlier. Again, do this for a few weeks and your body should adjust.

The nice part of doing it in baby steps is that you don't feel like you lose too much sleep time in the morning and you don't lose too much time at night either.

I used to go to bed at 10:30 every night and up at 5:30. Then I slowly adjusted this schedule and now I am in bed by 9:00 and lights out at 9:30. I try to roll out of bed by 4:45. It's still not easy but it's easier!

Good Luck!

Thank you for this post! ..... I generally work out after work .... but I want to try moving it to mornings.... after work is just too hectic.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the ideas. There are some really great ideas. I am going to start next week. I SWEAR ! Monday morning 5:45 I will be up.
  • dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Get everything, absolutely everything ready the night before so you have no excuses or opportunities to not go when you wakeup. Put your alarm clock across the room if you have to. Find someone to keep you accountable - for me, I had a 50% or less success rate when I was doing it on my own, but now that I am meeting someone at the gym, I've made it over 95% of the time.

Also, it gets easier. :)

Yep, all of this. The night before my workout mornings, I pack my gym bag, and put it with my towel and water in the car. I also have my gym clothes laid out.

But the single biggest factor is having a commitment to meet--for me, that was regular sessions with my trainer. Now that I am working out twice a week on my own, I find that I am more inclined to sleep in a bit and go to the gym at 7am instead of 6am. On Friday, however, when I have my weekly session with my trainer, you can bet your *kitten* I will be there at 6am (especially since he makes me do a burpee for every minute I'm late!).
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    When it becomes important to you, you'll make it happen. Right now, the sleep is more important. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, good or bad, it's just where you are right now.

Pretty much this.

Yep. I get up at 4:15 M-Th becasue it's important to me.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    4:15 AM? That's above and beyond! I hate execrising first thing in the AM but when I'm on business trips that's the only way I can make sure it gets done- meetings run late, people go out to dinner together, and a glass or 2 of wine just kills my motivation to exercise, so working out after dinner is a bad idea.

What motivates me is that I'm burning up 400-500 calories a day in my workouts. I cannot afford to skip a workout unless I also cut back on my eating and that's no fun! I agree with those who said that the worst is the first 10 minutes of dragging yourself out of bed and getting into it. After that it's not so bad.
  • jenfoxjercha
    jenfoxjercha Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use to get up and sit and watch the news in the morning and eat my breakfast. Now I have my gym bag packed at night before I go to bed. I have my gym clothes laid out so all I have to do is get up and go. I watch the news on the elliptical now. I eat breakfast at work right before the beginning of my day. It helps me stay awake better during the day and I seem to sleep better at night.
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    I was and still am (to some extent) not a morning person. I really hate to do traditional exercise no matter what time of the day it is, but I do it anyway. When I do get up in the morning to exercise, I have to do dancing or strength training. It definitely has to be something I enjoy doing. If you have the Wii, get yourself Michael Jackson and dance yourself away. I tried to beat my grown-up kids scores and I just can't seem to get it yet. It is so much fun. One time, I did beat the score and my son came over and beat my score so easy so now I'm back to 30 to 45 minutes trying to beat his scores again.

Good luck!!!
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I set an alarm that is in the kitchen so I am forced to wake up and turn it off. So I am pretty much awake and ready to workout.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Good Luck!

Thank you for this post! ..... I generally work out after work .... but I want to try moving it to mornings.... after work is just too hectic.

I do my cardio in the mornings now because with work, commute, kids, etc I was not able to train and do cardio in one day if I left it to the evening hours. This new schedule has worked out pretty well for me but I'd be lying is I said I stick to 100%. There are just some mornings when the alarm goes off and I say "nope...need more sleep" LOL

Good luck tweaking your schedule! :-)
  • jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, so I bought a treadmill and put it slap in the middle of my living room. Now I can walk in the evenings while I am cooking supper, visiting with my kids, etc. It keeps me in the middle of the activity of the family.

Of course that's not an intense body building exercise routine, but I've never been into those very much....
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i am in the same boat as you. for me i am fortunate that i can work out of my home office most the time. i get up 5 or 6 in the morning. that does not mean i am awake at that time !! i also say --tomorrow is the day .. today i worked out at 930am which is early for me as i usually work out later in the day. im trying to wean myself to doing it first thing in the morning now. my days have become more and more busier by the minute so hopefully i can beat this
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    On my non-work days, I do get to the gym by about 8 AM. On my work days, I have to get up at 4:45 already, so I have to work out after work on those days. That being said...I am awake at 4:45 (eastern time). Do you want me to call you at 5:30 to make sure you get up??? :smile: