Best cheese for low fat lifestyle

Options

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I usually use Cathedral City Mature Lighter slices for 62 calories a slice but I just discovered Leerdammer Lightlife which is 54 calories a slice. I always buy the pre-sliced cheese even though it works out more expensive by volume (and even though I insist on buying EVERYTHING else in bulk) to make portion control that bit easier because cheese is soooo easy to keep eating!

Oh yeah cheese is very easy to over eat on. I think I might start buying pre-sliced too. Is leerdammer not a bit tasteless though?? It doesn't look very tasty haha. That's a good idea though with the sliced stuff, thanks.

It's tasteless to me. The Ilchester slices are nice apple wood smoked and Mexicana (spicy) both sooo good! X
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Apetina light feta is great too! X
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    Cathedral city lighter is pretty good and can come in slices which is useful for portioning.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the fatty goodness of real cheese

I would, but then I would also be a fatty too ;)

No you won't, unless you eat too many calories. Dietary fat is essential for health. Just eat regular cheese.

He speaks the truth.

THIS.

If it fits your macros, eat all the cheese you want. I'd never give it up.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    The only acceptable cheese replacement is other cheese.
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the fatty goodness of real cheese

I would, but then I would also be a fatty too ;)

Lies, I tell you! This is and olllllllld idea, and completely false.

Let's say it together, kids...
    DIETARY FAT WILL NOT MAKE YOU FAT !
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    less of the real thing!
  • dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi just wondering if anyone from the UK has any recommendations for a cheese replacement, I LOVE cheese so no way am I cutting it out altogether as it would just never work out haha.

I have been buying tescos salad cheese to have with salads etc to bulk it out a bit (I think it is a goats cheese) but I am looking for a cheddar cheese alternative that is quite low in fat, one that I could have on jacket potatoes and pizza etc I have tried a few of the 'diet' cheeses and to be honest they are pretty gross.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Cheese is one food I will not compromise on, especially when it comes to cheddar. I'm from the Pacific Northwest, and Tillamook is the gold standard here (among high-volume, mass-produced makers). Nothing but a slice of real medium cheddar will do on a grilled cheese sandwich. Of course, if I have the choice of some Beecher's, I'm going to be all over that as well...had some Beecher's cheese and bacon soup for lunch the other day nom nom...

Ok, sorry for the food orgy there. :)

MY POINT IS you live in the UK, home to some of the world's best cheddar cheeses! Who doesn't love some good mature English cheddar? Or Stilton, or Wookey Hole? Have some (in moderation, of course: an ounce shoudl be about 100-110 calories), and don't worry about it (too much).

I'd rather have a small amount of the real deal than 10x as much as a fake disgusting alternative. Quality over quantity, is what I say. :)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Another thing! I usually imagine that reduced fat cheddar is half the calories of full fat cheddar, but of course it's nothing like that. I've got some of both in the fridge and the reduced fat one is 97 calories for 30g portion and the full fat one is 124 calories. It's only a difference of 27 calories per 30g portion. You're not going to make a huge difference to your daily total unless you use quite a lot of it. The reduced fat one has almost 4/5 of the calories of the full fat one, so you don't really need to have a very much smaller portion of full fat to have the same calories.

Probably best to go for whichever one you like the taste of!
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I usually use Cathedral City Mature Lighter slices for 62 calories a slice but I just discovered Leerdammer Lightlife which is 54 calories a slice. I always buy the pre-sliced cheese even though it works out more expensive by volume (and even though I insist on buying EVERYTHING else in bulk) to make portion control that bit easier because cheese is soooo easy to keep eating!

Oh yeah cheese is very easy to over eat on. I think I might start buying pre-sliced too. Is leerdammer not a bit tasteless though?? It doesn't look very tasty haha. That's a good idea though with the sliced stuff, thanks.

When I said 'just discovered' I meant literally just bought it when i went grocery shopping so after actually trying it now I would probably stick to the Cathedral City for the extra 8 calories which has quite a strong flavour :)
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have these in the UK, but babybel and laughing cow light
  • JessicaG234
    JessicaG234 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but have you tried farmer's cheese? It tends to be lower in calories, fat, cholesterol, etc. and it actually tastes like cheese! It's amazing! It may be more expensive than regular cheese, but it's very worth it. I hate eating the fat free stuff too. :wink:
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I just eat real cheese, but weigh it and make sure it fits in my day. I mean, those fake cheeses are all kind of gross. I love the word cheeses.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I thought olives were quite high cal and fat :/ someone told me that, so I cut down on them a lot, I still eat them, but not as much as I want to haha

In my opinion olives have a very good taste/calorie ratio! You only need a few to add taste to a salad, and that will add maybe 20 - 50 calories depending on the type and quantity. There isn't a lot of fat in the olives themselves but some of them come in oil, so if you want to avoid fat you could get the ones that are in brine (which are probably about 5 calories per olive).
  • skinnymoomoo
    skinnymoomoo Posts: 202 Member
    Options

It's tasteless to me. The Ilchester slices are nice apple wood smoked and Mexicana (spicy) both sooo good! X

Ooh mexicana sounds good for cheese on toast! :)
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    The only acceptable cheese replacement is other cheese.

Thats what I meant, I didn't want not real cheese lol I still want cheese just a lower fat one ;)
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    Hi just wondering if anyone from the UK has any recommendations for a cheese replacement, I LOVE cheese so no way am I cutting it out altogether as it would just never work out haha.

I have been buying tescos salad cheese to have with salads etc to bulk it out a bit (I think it is a goats cheese) but I am looking for a cheddar cheese alternative that is quite low in fat, one that I could have on jacket potatoes and pizza etc I have tried a few of the 'diet' cheeses and to be honest they are pretty gross.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Cheese is one food I will not compromise on, especially when it comes to cheddar. I'm from the Pacific Northwest, and Tillamook is the gold standard here (among high-volume, mass-produced makers). Nothing but a slice of real medium cheddar will do on a grilled cheese sandwich. Of course, if I have the choice of some Beecher's, I'm going to be all over that as well...had some Beecher's cheese and bacon soup for lunch the other day nom nom...

Ok, sorry for the food orgy there. :)

MY POINT IS you live in the UK, home to some of the world's best cheddar cheeses! Who doesn't love some good mature English cheddar? Or Stilton, or Wookey Hole? Have some (in moderation, of course: an ounce shoudl be about 100-110 calories), and don't worry about it (too much).

I'd rather have a small amount of the real deal than 10x as much as a fake disgusting alternative. Quality over quantity, is what I say. :)

I loved your little cheese orgy you just had there haha.

Yeah i agree that nothing is as good as the real deal, I was just wondering had anyone found a real nice cheese that wasn't so high in fat per gram.

I love cheddar, and i wish I could eat it for every meal, just on its own haha

Two things I could not live without is cheese and bacon. it's just not gonna happen. EVER haha :)
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options

When I said 'just discovered' I meant literally just bought it when i went grocery shopping so after actually trying it now I would probably stick to the Cathedral City for the extra 8 calories which has quite a strong flavour :)

thanks for the update!! saves me buying it and binning it hahah x
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    I don't know if you have these in the UK, but babybel and laughing cow light

Ooh yes we always have babybel here, the kids love it... (and so do I) :)
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but have you tried farmer's cheese? It tends to be lower in calories, fat, cholesterol, etc. and it actually tastes like cheese! It's amazing! It may be more expensive than regular cheese, but it's very worth it. I hate eating the fat free stuff too. :wink:

as in cheese direct from a farmer, not the stuff in the supermarket mass produced and labelled as farmers cheese?