Break Room Etiquette and Fish?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    If you work with a lot of Asians, it shouldn't be an issue!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    As someone very allergic to fish and shellfish, just smelling the fish smell could make me extremely ill. (My throat will start to swell shut just from breathing it in.) Leave it at home.

I also don't like burnt popcorn smell, but that is just an annoyance, not a life-threatening odor.

I guess no one should bring a peanut butter sandwich either because if they touch someone allergic to peanuts it could cause a reaction.

This is nothing to laugh at. I have a friend that can't even smell peanuts or her throat swells. They have a no food, no perfume, no air freshener policy in thier office. Allergies can be life threatening.

I wasn't laughing, but it's still stupid logic. I work with 500 people, if no one could bring stuff that 1 other person was allergic to we would all be drinking water and eating peas.

My building of 800 adults, and also a daycare is nut free, fish free, and perfume free b/c of allergies
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    I think its disgusting, but work in a multi-cultural environment, so it happens.

My husband works with all guys, and they do it just to annoy each other....:sick:
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    I work in the reception area of an office and the smells from the kitchen fill the whole office. Fish I don't mind because everyone can tell that it's fish. There is one co-worker that will heat up a steam-fresh bag of broccoli and then the office smells like farts the rest of the day. So every person who comes in thinks one of the secretaries is farting like crazy in the office.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    I actually just had fish in the microwave at work for lunch today! It might bother some people, but the smell (if any) goes away in a matter of minutes. They can suck it up and deal with it.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    There are ways to retaliate (kimchee, corned beef and cabbage, sauerkraut) - usually this problem solves itself - with everyone being more considerate - in short order.
  • heatherpg47
    heatherpg47 Posts: 211 Member
    Eat the fish.. as long as its in the break room.. that is where you are supposed to stuff like that... just don't take it to the work area. I hate the smell of certain Ramens... that's my issue, but I get over it when people eat it. They should get over it.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    I do it. I don't care. I am eating healthy, and could care less what others think. I do Tilapia or Salmon with brussels! Not a *kitten* is given.

Thank you!

I was beginning to think that people with office jobs were born pathetic or had somehow reverted to being children.

Agree with these two.

Burnt popcorn is a different story because that's a result of someone having the attention span of a 2-year-old and being unwilling to stand in the break room for a few minutes to make sure the popcorn doesn't overcook.

But you can't help the way fish smells. My office is right next door to the break room, so I smell things all day long, and most of it is not appetizing. But I'm not going to be rude enough to tell my co-workers what to bring for lunch. They are not children, and I am not their mother. Commenting on people's food choices is one of the rudest behaviors that I witness on a daily basis. People eat certain things because they like those things. Acting like you're grossed out by what someone else is eating is an insult to that person and is in very poor taste.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    I live by the office microwave. If someone brings fish in, I'm taking my utility knife and stabbing the *kitten* out of that microwave. I love fish, it's delicious...do I really want to smell it for the next hour? Nope.

If it were my fish, I'd gladly heat it up.
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    As someone very allergic to fish and shellfish, just smelling the fish smell could make me extremely ill. (My throat will start to swell shut just from breathing it in.) Leave it at home.

I also don't like burnt popcorn smell, but that is just an annoyance, not a life-threatening odor.

I guess no one should bring a peanut butter sandwich either because if they touch someone allergic to peanuts it could cause a reaction.

This is nothing to laugh at. I have a friend that can't even smell peanuts or her throat swells. They have a no food, no perfume, no air freshener policy in thier office. Allergies can be life threatening.

I wasn't laughing, but it's still stupid logic. I work with 500 people, if no one could bring stuff that 1 other person was allergic to we would all be drinking water and eating peas.

My building of 800 adults, and also a daycare is nut free, fish free, and perfume free b/c of allergies

Nuts and Fish are both high allergen foods. They can both also become life threatening in a very short amount of time.

Most schools are now peanut free or at least have peanut free areas. Fish can be just as deadly. There is no shot a person can take to desensitize to these allergies. So if your child were highly allergic to peanuts, would you want to send them to a school that isn't peanut free? How would you feel if your fish leftovers caused someone to leave in an ambulance, or cause their death? It's not a matter of choice for those of us with allergies. Thankfully I have never worked anywhere that I had to deal with that issue. It's bad enough trying to avoid them at the grocery store, restaurants and parties.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    I reheat my tilapia in the office microwave when I bring leftovoers to work, which is rare. Afterwards I spray lysol in the breakroom. Eh, they will get over it.

I do this too! Once in awhile I have mackeral and the smell is really strong. I warn my coworkers about my fish (they don't seem to mind) and then I lysol the breakroom.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    I do it. I don't care. I am eating healthy, and could care less what others think. I do Tilapia or Salmon with brussels! Not a *kitten* is given.

Thank you!

I was beginning to think that people with office jobs were born pathetic or had somehow reverted to being children.

You, sir, are correct.

It's really quite pathetic how office workers act. It's like working in an office/cubicle all day reverts people to being 8 years old.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    If you work with a lot of Asians, it shouldn't be an issue!!!

Haha, so true!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    When I heat up my leftover fish someone usually comments on how good my lunch smells. Of course I am in an office with many people who cook and eat healthy real foods.

:noway: WHERE do you work??? I didn't think that was possible...
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member

So those are the only 3 things there anyone is allergic to? that is absolutely ridiculous
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Eh they can get over it! It's the break room what if you had some sort of religious conviction and you ate fish on this day. It's not like you were cooking it in the office. Next time if you dont want to "offend" cook it a little on the cool side so its not so aromatic or have a cold fish dish like civiche....mmmmmmm.
  • ldrosophila
    I truly can't have fish for leftovers. It's mostly in my head, I dont know. More power to you. I dont know if I would bring it in to work to reheat though. I do have to admit that would smell disgusting!

LOL this too left over fish and seafood is not my cup of tea. I also want to know what kind of fish it was and how it was prepared?
  • ldrosophila

By this logic no one should eat a peanut butter sandwich at work either. Yes people have allergies but come on! Oh, and before you accuse me of being insensitive to people with allergies...I am allergic to milk (and any product made with milk) and eggs. I am gluten intolerant too. My husband is allergic to anything that comes out of the ocean and cabbage. My oldest child is allergic to red food dye and my youngest child is allergic to spinach, strawberries and peanuts. I understand allergies.

Jeesh your family got dealt a bad hand of immune genetics!
  • kimama01
    kimama01 Posts: 28 Member
    Go for it! I just did and it was tasty. I don't expect anyone to stop eating something because I don't like the smell. Plus, the smell only lasts for a while. There are worse things you could be smelling! lol
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Microwaving fish: After fish is done heating, take a full cup of water and microwave it for 5 minutes. Smell dissapears, or at least will lessen.

I think it will work for burnt popcorn smell, too.