Anyone else having a hard time cutting out alcohol??

Options
I'm in no way, shape, or form an alcoholic, but I enjoy a cigar and a stiff drink most nights. It's my "thing". Anyone else trying to find a way to cut calories during the day to make room for drink? Is alcohol as bad for weight loss as I hear?

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out any. If anything, I'll work a little harder to make sure there's room for a beer or two.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I haven't even tried! LOL, Im not a big drinker but I definetly need a beer or a glass of wine once in a while! I usually drink light beer anyway!
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation.
  • tjfrisque
    tjfrisque Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Me too! Will work harder and cut calories to enjoy a few
  • Tishy78
    Tishy78 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to talk to my hubby. He works out enough specifically so that he has calories for a nightly beer. It's not a problem as long as you're honest with yourself and include it in your tracking.
  • kmluecht
    kmluecht Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It really is amazing how many calories alcohol ad. If you are unable to stick once or twice a week or special occasions, maybe try low calorie mixers such as diet soda. Or if you like beer I believe there is one called Budweiser select 55 with just 55 calories a beer. Hang in there and good luck.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I had this problem. I would eat really well during the day and then drink a couple of IPA beers at night. I did it on a regular basis. I didn't drop any weight. The higher the ABV% the higher the calories. I ended up cutting out drinking for the most part even though I didn't think I could. I feel better now physically.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I plan my calories around my drinks, and if I hit a stall I cut back/cut it out. Your body processes alcohol before anything else, so it's damaging to weight loss because it affects your metabolism. Having one or two drinks a day won't hurt you too badly though.
  • shortie563
    Options
    I always tell myself "ok, no drinking for 2 weeks!" I usually always give in when I go out with my friends though ha. I just feel really puffy the next day, but other then that I don't see any real effect it's having on weight loss. As long as it's not a lot every single night.
  • ronboy1979
    ronboy1979 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm in no way, shape, or form an alcoholic, but I enjoy a cigar and a stiff drink most nights. It's my "thing". Anyone else trying to find a way to cut calories during the day to make room for drink? Is alcohol as bad for weight loss as I hear?

Not an alcoholic here either, just work a little harder at the gym or cut out a few calories at each meal!

Good luck
  • abbye425
    abbye425 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is the hardest part for me for sure. I have started putting alcohol into my calorie counter, and it's not good.However, for you, one stiff drink a night should be fine if you just count it. I mostly drink wine or beer, so I try to remind myself that I'm getting some antioxidants from both. Also, I'm a teacher so a glass of wine or a beer at night is pretty much mandatory to keep my sanity ;)
  • jeffsieck
    jeffsieck Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just make sure there's calories left over for a beer or a drink. I used to be a multiple drink guy many nights, but I've decided I want to lose weight more than drink (and I brew my own beer).
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation.

Very true. Just don't become dependant on alcohol... and figure out how to fit it into your calorie intake goals for the day.
  • Joshuao16
    Options
    Not trying was my strategy too! lol... :-)
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I could never cut alcohol. I just try to fit it into my calories, make sure to drink enough water, and mix my hard liquor with things like diet tonic rather than juice or soda. I do love my wine though... :drinker:
  • MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm having a bit of a rough time, but it's also a case of "If I don't buy it, I won't be tempted to drink it." But, like everyone says, everything in moderation. I like my wine still, just have to limit myself to ONE glass... but also have to have it finished within a couple days. Darn oxidation...
  • dragoness_leclerq
    Options
    Generally, yes I do cut calories here and there during the day if I plan to drink but I don't obsess over it. I'm not a beer drinker but most weekends a enjoy a night out and a few mixed drinks and maybe once or twice a week a glass or two of wine. I know every calorie counts but I don't count those toward my intake nor do I stress over it.

For me, dieting and losing weight is great but if you're forced to cut out all the occasional small pleasures it becomes far less of a reward.
  • TisMee76
    TisMee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I must confess...I lurve beer!!! And I have two/three a night. I drink the light ones so they ar only 99 cal each.

The way I see it, we need a reward. Some people do burgers and pizza as theirs...I do beer.

I won't feel guilty...as I'm busting my *kitten*!

To sit back at the end of the day with a cold beer and relish in the fact that I've met all my goals for the day (steps taken, stairs climbed...etc) is what I look forward to.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Yes, I go under around 200 calories under my goal mon-thurs, around my goal on friday, and over my goal on saturday and sunday. I only drink on weekends so just try and make my weekly calories and goals work out. I try to meet my protein and fat goals as best I can during the week, so although I still eat plenty of carbs the 200 calories I undereat by is mostly carbs, and thats mostly what I use them on on the weekend.
    I'm sure I would have slightly better results if I didn't do that, however it is working well for me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it's hard to break any type of routine, especially the bad ones. i know i used to have a beer or two when i got home from work, two glasses of wine with dinner (big glasses) and a scotch or two on the couch afterwards. that's about 1000 calories in booze alone.

do you enjoy a cigar and a drink every night? well, hopefully it is just ONE drink and ONE cigar a night. maybe just start cutting back a little. maybe only have it a few times a week.

instead of saying things like "i'll only have my cigar and drink on even days," try saying things like "i can have my cigar and drink up to 4 times this week." it gives you a little leeway of when you can have them. you can save them for the weekend, or days that are exceptionally hard during the week.

btw, totally treating myself to a box of romeo y julietas for my birthday.