Fat-Shaming May Curb Obesity?

Options
http://todayhealth.today.com/_news/2013/01/24/16664866-fat-shaming-may-curb-obesity-bioethicist-says?lite

Found this interesting little article.

A bioethicist thinks that since being nice to obese people isn't helping, maybe a bit of shaming might do the trick. (That's a very concise summary, though)

Thoughts?

(and if anyone can tell me how to make that a link, I would really appreciate it!)

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    oh ya lets bully people into loosing weight.. that will solve everything... I mean look at how good it works in schools.
  • thedescentofhope
    thedescentofhope Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous. Like people need to be bullied and made feel like outcasts from society even more than they already do. Yeah it may reverse the obesity trend but it'll be replaced by the anorexia and bulemia trends!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a recipe for an eating disorder.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Shaming is pretty effective.

Question is, is a society full of people who hate themselves somehow healthier than a society full of the obese?
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    yeah, because the constant shame and embarrassment heaped upon the overweight people of the world is working really well so far
  • Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    Options
    The world is way too sensitive these days.
  • Suzeboo
    Suzeboo Posts: 50
    Options
    What a total Twit!!! Honestly some of these scientists are really clutching at straws!! Tut Numpty!!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Suuuuuuuuuure. Bullying and shaming always is a great idea. :noway:
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    When people comment on my weight it only makes me want to rage-eat. This wouldn't help me at all.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Well, one of the arguments was that public shaming of smokers worked to get people to quit smoking.

Some people are genetically predisposed to obesity. Medical issues. Hormonal problems. No one is predisposed to smoking.

Not that that is an excuse to be obese, but it's also very easy for a slender person to make this assumption.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    The world is way too sensitive these days.

Word.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    It's enough to read into a couple people's posts here to see how embarrased and ashamed they already feel. Absolutely no need to bully imho.
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like that will lead to more obesity. If I am shamed for eating...makes me want to eat in secret. Lets give people a bigger problem. Yeah, that'll work (insert sarcasm).
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I don't like this idea. Shaming me would only make me anger and want to slap someone.
  • CGPrincessWarrior
    CGPrincessWarrior Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You cannot make someone lose weight no matter how hard you try. My friends and family tried to get me to lose weight for years and I never did. I had to make the choice myself to get off my butt and do something about my weight. It has to come from within or it will not happen. Once you take the step to become healthier then it becomes a matter of preference as to what will help motivate you to keep going. Some people like rewards and some people like tough love, but every person is different. Shaming is NOT the answer though and will only lead to more obesity IMO.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    These are people that have to be ugly to others to elevate themselves. Sounds like they have their own set of body issues. It's a form of abuse that they are just trying to perpetuate on others whom they deem unworthy.
    Jerks.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It is an interesting theory. I grew up in the 60's and 70's. Fat people were shamed much more than today back then. There were far fewer fat people. But I'm not sure that shaming was the reason. But the author is correct that shaming smokers did cause a dramatic drop in the number of smokers.

And for those talking of bullying, shaming and bullying are the same thing.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Well, one of the arguments was that public shaming of smokers worked to get people to quit smoking.

Some people are genetically predisposed to obesity. Medical issues. Hormonal problems. No one is predisposed to smoking.

Not that that is an excuse to be obese, but it's also very easy for a slender person to make this assumption.
    Public shaming of smokers never made me want to quit smoking. All it made we want to do was say "go **** ******* ***** ********" to the person complaining about smokers.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's definitely the issue. When people who are fat or obese talk about how other people perceive them the first thing they say is "it's fine, everyone is do damn nice, I just wish they'd criticise me about my weight." There's definitely no social stigmas attached to it, no nasty words in passing, no random glances, and no different treatments (such as pay grade difference).

SMH
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I dont think we should shame people for being obese, but also dont play into it when people use that as an excuse. Im tired of hearing people say hes just big boned or its genetics. I spent the better part of my young adult life over weight and used that as an excuse, oh I just have a big frame, blah blah ... and no one would say anything other wise, then one day a close friend was just like no man, you not your just fat... and yeah for me that sparked a fire that started my change. So no i dont think shaming is the best way to go about it for everyone, but a good dose of reality for some over weight people would be good.