Best Exercises for the Beginner with a Lot to Lose

Options
2»

Replies

• Lexi507
    Lexi507 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried one of the ballet workouts? I really like Element: Ballet Conditioning. They are low impact, but really seem to work the muscles. It's really easy to modify to meet your current fitness since you go as far as you can go.
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think I will stick with swimming for now -- there is a water aerobics class at the Y I go to (and I know that it is something I would enjoy) -- but it is in the mornings (and I work full-time) -- and I think it is geared toward the older ladies! I work at a University -- and there is a large grassy plaza area outside the building where I work and I think next week I will start bringing tennis shoes and just walk around the perimeter of the plaza -- starting with one trip around and work my way up -- there are always students and other activities going on out there so that at least is something interesting to look at while walking.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Walking as much as possible and light weight with lots of reps.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Your swimming is great and if you enjoy it keep doing that. Walking is a good one starting out too. I used the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the pounds dvds for a few years. You can do 1 mile in 15 minutes and 2 miles in 30 minutes and she has others up to 4 & 5 miles. I do the 2 mile 30 minute one M-F at 5:30am and then I walk another mile in my office hallways in 20 minutes on my lunch hour. I was doing another 2 mile 30 minute dvd walk after work but since joining Planet Fitness I go there now to work out. Weight machines M, W, F then cardio and Cardio only on Tues Thurs. I spend a couple hours there after work usually and will go on the weekends too if not busy.
    Do what you enjoy and won't hurt your joints.
    Good luck!
  • Ivarivdnoe
    Ivarivdnoe Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you, I go to our local Ymca 3-5x a week and walk on the walking track, sometimes its a bit boring, but having to track your laps, people watching (i love to do) and listening to House music to keep up my tempo really does get you out of the blues that you are actually exercising! I have just started adding in the steam room, to bump up my metabolism, and soon will start the strength training because I'm not really seeing the numbers drop. My diet has a long way to go in ways of learning what to eat and what not too, but MFP will let you see what you are eating good and bad! My motto is "No matter how fast you are moving- you are passing everyone sitting on the couch" And your still moving more than you were before you started your journey! Good luck to you! Add me if you like I need all the encouragement (vice versa) I can get!
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Lesilie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds DVDs are great. Look for ones with some toning work too.

Have fun and take it one day at a time. Good Luck!!

I started off using Leslies DVD's and still will use them on raining days...but now I am out walking 5 miles four days a week and today added some jogging to it...I'm training for my first 5K in may..which I know I can do...I think for now your swimming and some light walking with some arm movements like in Leslies DVD's would be the best option for you. But you should talk to your doctor about it and see what he thinks is best for you!