May I PLEASE have your undivided attention

Options

Replies

• doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against strength training, I just have no clue how to go about it or what exercises to do with it.

I'm sure some folks around here would be more than willing to answer any questions you may have.
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    What you had to say is very good. I have one qualification. I didn't start this as young as you people. I was in my 60's. SOOOOOO when you lose weight you are going to have flab whether you lift or not at my age. Yes, not as much. I personally have no desire to lift and some of my joints would agree. However, I do swim and have resisitence there. My arms are not flabby but my inner thighs, oh well. this should bhe an encouragement for people who are young to keep at it and not wait as long as I did.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    TRUTH
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, just a brief explanation of why I'm praising this thread:
    Rule 13b Subsection 29-A: Too much truth and awesomeness.

We here at MFP encourage more posts of this nature.

Thanks,
    Aurlivia
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    Agreed.

For people who have played sports competitively, strength training would be something that you are used to (or have at least done in the past). You know that a mixture of cardio and strength training is where it is at for improving overall health, fitness and body appearance. My oversimplified attitude is that cardio will help me live longer and strength training will make me look better (and less susceptible to injury).

I think that a lot of people are actually intimidated by the idea of strength training. In their heads, it involves bench pressing and squatting mass quantities of weights in a weight room filled with huge men. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE this...but for a newbie, this is pretty scary.

If you have a good, beginner strength workout that someone can try at home, post it. It's less frightening to try something if you a) have good instructions b) can do it in the privacy of your own home (although I do recommend working with a training if you are a complete newbie).
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, just a brief explanation of why I'm praising this thread:
    Rule 13b Subsection 29-A: Too much truth and awesomeness.

We here at MFP encourage more posts of this nature.

Thanks,
    Aurlivia

HA! Perfect
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    you had me at perky bewbs
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against strength training, I just have no clue how to go about it or what exercises to do with it.

No one ever does when they're first starting out. :smile: I know I didn't. But the more I read this site, the more some things keep popping up over and over again, so I decided to check them out.

Here's some groups with lots of info:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/771-women-strength-training

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Great post!!!
  • charmed_fifer
    Options
    Totally agree hun, I dont want to be ripped or a muscle mary but I still do my strength trainer, look to the future I say xox
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Love it. It's amazing how much easier little tasks like cleaning the house or climbing stairs become as your muscles get stronger. Strength training gives you a great body and an overall higher quality of life, I don't understand why some people are so resistant to it.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I like you! :happy:
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Isnt this a repeat from yesterday?

Either way, it's excellent.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Well said! Cheers! :drinker:
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    What you had to say is very good. I have one qualification. I didn't start this as young as you people. I was in my 60's. SOOOOOO when you lose weight you are going to have flab whether you lift or not at my age. Yes, not as much. I personally have no desire to lift and some of my joints would agree. However, I do swim and have resisitence there. My arms are not flabby but my inner thighs, oh well. this should bhe an encouragement for people who are young to keep at it and not wait as long as I did.

Remember that lifting doesn't have to mean huge weights. My 70 yr old mom has taken up 'lifting'. She uses 10 lbs dumbells for most exercises (5 lbs for a few smaller muscles and 15lbs for a few larger ones).

Last weekend she was watching my kids and my 3yr old got stuck in the baby swing at the park (too many layers of clothing...it's freakin' cold here right now). She was very thankful for her strength training as she had to lift up the swing, turn it upside down and slowly pull her out. None of this could she have done a year ago.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Still awesome. :flowerforyou:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the post, just took it as an invitation to creep the OP's photos...nice.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Pure awesome!! Yup, yup, yup, yup yup! :drinker:
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Fabulous!