May I PLEASE have your undivided attention

Options

Replies

• Dezmodus
    Dezmodus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I've been pretty slack about my strength training but you've inspired me! :D
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Since I've been seeing so many people complain that they don't want to lift weights or do any strength training because they're not trying to get ripped or bulk up or they just don't like to, please consider something:
    You won't always be young - you will age and you will become elderly and there are other factors besides weight loss to think about in regards to exercise and more specifically strength training. Now I'm not saying you HAVE to strength train, however I think an educated decision deserves consideration on all matters of the subject.

Maintaining muscle mass as we age should be an important part of a healthy lifestyle as it contributes to skeletal strength and helps prevent injury. People with weak muscles are less able to maintain good posture, keep their balance, or live independently. As a result, diminished muscle mass makes you more prone to falls, breathing problems, and psychological problems such as depression.

You don't have to go get a gym membership and start lifting heavy weights. I don't go to the gym, I work out at home. I have hand weights. I incorporate strength training dvds into my routine. I also do fun things like trying to do squats with my 6y.o. on my shoulders or using her to bench press. She loves the airplane game and it's a great way for me to do weighted leg presses.
    Now, there is NO WAY I'd be able to do these things or easily carry her, my purse, and her backpack from the car, THROUGH THE SNOW and to our entry way if I didn't do push ups, shoulder presses, bicep curls, lat raises, etc etc first. I've built up my strength. Also, I hate making multiple trips bringing in the groceries. 10 bags? Notta problem! I got this!

Some other reasons to incorporate some kind of strength training:

~muscle tissue will burn seven to 10 calories daily per pound. Fat burns two to three calories daily per pound. Replacing a pound of fat with a muscle, therefore, helps you burn an additional four to six more calories each day [ref:
    Cedric X. Bryant, chief science officer for the American Council on Exercise]

~No cream will reduce cellulite - only reducing over all body fat

~Boobs are just fat however there is muscle under there; wanna perk them up a little? Build the muscle underneath
    *Chest flys, push ups

~Muscle is denser than fat, therefore takes up less space; Two people may be the same height and weight, but the person with a higher body fat percentage will wear a larger clothing size

Now, I would not consider myself a veteran by any means and far from being a "know it all", "arrogant", "up on a high horse" or whatever silly insult I've had thrown my way. I do not believe that you should only lift weights & not do cardio. I'm suggesting that if you do only cardio, maybe you should consider also including strength training. Cardio is great for burning off body fat & great for your heart.
    I'm suggeting you learn as much as you can about how the human body works. How to prevent disease without pills. How to not only have a long life but a healthy & happy life filled with quality.
    There are no quick fixes and goals are fantastic to have but be flexible. Balance.

Anyone can paint a portrait but a real masterpiece takes time, dedication, patience, and a lot of LOVE.

Learn to LOVE your body and treat it the way you would treat anything else you love.

Great post! I was one of those who folks who fell in love with Zumba and was making it my primary (okay, ONLY) workout/exercise activity for the past two years. I lost weight (a lot of weight), but didn't gain much in regards to tone or muscle strength.

This year, I have dedicated myself to getting more muscular and have developed a workout schedule that hits all muscle groups over the course of a week, every week. I am feeling the muscles burn and seeing the results already.

I still love and prefer cardio, because it seems to be the path of least resistance for me. But, I now "get it" about weight/strength training: a well balanced work out routine brings the best results.

And I also do everything at home. I can't afford a gym membership.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Love this post. :flowerforyou: :love: :heart: :drinker:

Apologies in advance for a slight hi-jack. I got on a roll.

Lifting weights was never a consideration for me before reading MFP. I wasn't afraid I was going to bulk up, because I knew that someone like WWE's Chyna works way harder than I ever would to achieve her physique. I just didn't think it was necessary for my lifestyle.

And there was a small fear of hurting myself, since I used to dislocate body parts on a regular basis. I'm hypermobile and had always been accident prone. I had braces for my knees and wrists from frequent injuries, and I'd knock my back out a few times a year. And sometimes I'd dislocate my hip during intimate moments. :blushing: I felt... old.

Know how many times I've been injured since I joined this site two years ago? Once. A stress fracture in my ankle a year ago. From running. No back injuries. No twisted knees, sprained ankles or wonky wrists. No embarrassing and painful moments during nookie, either. Strengthening my muscles made my joints more stable. It amazes me that I was someone who once threw out her back from twisting funny while cleaning up cat puke, and I now squat and deadlift 1.2x my body weight.

There was a smaller fear that I'd "lose my curves" from lifting. Boy, was that silly! It's just made me curvier... my waist smaller, my butt perkier!

IMG_1293-copy2.jpg

135-front.jpg

And it doesn't take "hours and hours in a gym" like I once thought it would. I lift at home, about 3x a week, and about a half hour each time. All my lifting takes about the same amount of time per week as watching one movie or three sitcoms.

Lorina, you are one of the best examples on here as to why we should be weight training!! :smile:
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Pure awesomeness!!! This is the best "pro-lifting/resistance training" post I've seen on MFP.. :flowerforyou:
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Great post!! So many times I think of the short term goal and not the long term affects! Great reminder!! Thank you!!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I can handle ten grocery bags and I do a lot of lifting (and going up and down ladders with boxes that are sometimes at or above 50 pounds) at my job, but I know it'd seem like less of an effort or strain if I was in better shape. Right now I am focused on just dropping some weight first, but there are many good reasons to strength train that you bring up that are often overlooked. Really, the primary reason for weight loss OR building muscle should be health above all, and more people need to realize that! :)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    The DVDs I use are a mixture of low impact aerobics and toning (incorporating small weights - OK, water bottles!) as my knees and hips are not fit for intensive routines - that's damaged not unfit, by the way! I've used them before and know they will tone things up (even the bits you can't see:wink: )
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Love this post. :flowerforyou: :love: :heart: :drinker:

Apologies in advance for a slight hi-jack. I got on a roll.

Lifting weights was never a consideration for me before reading MFP. I wasn't afraid I was going to bulk up, because I knew that someone like WWE's Chyna works way harder than I ever would to achieve her physique. I just didn't think it was necessary for my lifestyle.

And there was a small fear of hurting myself, since I used to dislocate body parts on a regular basis. I'm hypermobile and had always been accident prone. I had braces for my knees and wrists from frequent injuries, and I'd knock my back out a few times a year. And sometimes I'd dislocate my hip during intimate moments. :blushing: I felt... old.

Know how many times I've been injured since I joined this site two years ago? Once. A stress fracture in my ankle a year ago. From running. No back injuries. No twisted knees, sprained ankles or wonky wrists. No embarrassing and painful moments during nookie, either. Strengthening my muscles made my joints more stable. It amazes me that I was someone who once threw out her back from twisting funny while cleaning up cat puke, and I now squat and deadlift 1.2x my body weight.

There was a smaller fear that I'd "lose my curves" from lifting. Boy, was that silly! It's just made me curvier... my waist smaller, my butt perkier!

IMG_1293-copy2.jpg

135-front.jpg

And it doesn't take "hours and hours in a gym" like I once thought it would. I lift at home, about 3x a week, and about a half hour each time. All my lifting takes about the same amount of time per week as watching one movie or three sitcoms.

Lorina, you are one of the best examples on here as to why we should be weight training!! :smile:

This, all day. :heart:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Bumping this in the hopes my mom will read it. (Hi Mom) :smile:

I am lucky to still have discounted access to the gym at my alma mater, but I agree, not all weight lifting has to happen in a gym! There's lots that can be done at home to tone up. And better muscle tone = less injury!
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    I do weights to reduce or eliminate cellulite and tone up any flab! Toned women are hot. Maybe women fear looking like the hulk? Hahahaha
  • themomma66
    Options
    Excellant post!!!!! I am pumped!!!!! Thank you!!!:flowerforyou: :love:
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    OP you had me at 'shut-up'...I mean..'may I'!
    :heart:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What you had to say is very good. I have one qualification. I didn't start this as young as you people. I was in my 60's. SOOOOOO when you lose weight you are going to have flab whether you lift or not at my age. Yes, not as much. I personally have no desire to lift and some of my joints would agree. However, I do swim and have resisitence there. My arms are not flabby but my inner thighs, oh well. this should bhe an encouragement for people who are young to keep at it and not wait as long as I did.

Remember that lifting doesn't have to mean huge weights. My 70 yr old mom has taken up 'lifting'. She uses 10 lbs dumbells for most exercises (5 lbs for a few smaller muscles and 15lbs for a few larger ones).

Lifting doesn't have to mean huge weights, but strength training doesn't have to mean weights at all. Bodyweight will do the job just fine. So will resistance bands. I have lifted in the past, but I really hate it so now I prefer bodyweight exercises.
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    So true. Im fifty and Ive been lifting light weights for years. It is very helpful in many ways for example shoveling snow and the other examples! The average woman does not really have enough testoterone to get ripped from lifting light to moderate weights. Keep up the good work you look great!
  • Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Excellent post my dear!! People who only do cardio and not going to see much in the way of toning their muscles, they will lose fat but not define themselves. Same goes for people who only strength train they will define their muscles but not lose fat. You need a good combination of the two! I am guilty of this myself, I never did cardio and only strength trained, then I tried working cardio in my routine with strength and BAM! dropped all those excess lbs I couldn't lose before!

And you look AMAZING! Plus I think you're one of the few brides I know that doesn't have to worry about dropping a size for her wedding b/c you already look fabulous

Thanks babe!! The only part of my dress that is tight is around my chest but I'll deal with it cause my boobs aren't getting any smaller if I can help it! In fact...more chest flys and pushups so they look bigger haha!!!
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bump to read later Im at work!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    qpMBm.gif
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    bump for later reading
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    OP you had me at 'shut-up'...I mean..'may I'!
    :heart:

Lolz!! Most excellent!
  • chocolate_barbell
    chocolate_barbell Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!!! :) Thank you!