have to pee ALL THE TIME ugh

Options
2»

Replies

• krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I find that when I first start getting back on the "lots of water a day" bandwagon, I have to pee constantly. It's the body flushing out toxins and salt, etc. However; the longer you keep the habit of drinking so much water a day, your body acclimates to it, uses the water and stops flushing it out so often~! LOL

not true... ive been drinking roughly 1-2 gallons a day for a couple years now and i have to still piss like every hour.

Same... I've ALWAYS drank tons of water cuz I'm so thirsty and have always pissed like a racehorse (no, no diabetes)
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily NEED eight cups or more if you are eating plenty of water rich foods like fruit and veggies and not a sweaty person. Are you eating enough carbs and electrolytes to hold the water in? Are you sipping or glugging? Are you peeing more often if you drank on an empty stomach?

My feelings exactly. If there's no evidence that you're dehydrated I don't think there's any reason to force yourself to drink 8 cups a day. I'm 5'2" also and would be in the bathroom constantly if I drank that much water. I also have to wonder who came up with the 8 cups rule and whether that should be the standard for everyone. Small women like us only need half as many calories as a large man, so maybe we only need half as much water.
  • KetsyBaby
    KetsyBaby Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey Kiddo :flowerforyou: ,

It really depends on what your eating, and drinking, maybe something is irritating you bladder, or you may have a UTI.

Make sure you aren't over doing the water, that is as bad as under hydrating. You will dilute your food nutrients, and may lose some electrolytes you need.

Some foods are natural diuretics too, like green tea and caffeine.

A lot of people forget how much water is in food already, so if you aren't at all thirsty, don't force yourself to gulp it down. I "cup" of water, the recommended 8 a day, is just that, 1 cup (250 mL) a water bottle usually holds at least 500mL. I would count things like decaf tea and coffee in your daily 8.

As long as your urine is pale/straw colored and you are going regularly with no pain or urgency, you are likely fine.

:heart: Please Add ME To Your Friends Support Team, I am looking for like minded individuals who are at the beginning, middle, or near goal in their journey to help me stay motivated and positive. I love a great sense of humor! I have a long road ahead of me, and need a good network of friends. :heart:

Ketsy, RN, BScN, MN-ACNP (Cand.)
    40, Female
    GTA, Ontario, CANADA

9159792.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Do you use artificial sweeteners? I used to pee constantly when I used them in drink mixes and diet sodas but without them my bladder has calmed down.

I drink a diet coke every day, which has artificial sweetener, but otherwise I don't think I do.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily NEED eight cups or more if you are eating plenty of water rich foods like fruit and veggies and not a sweaty person. Are you eating enough carbs and electrolytes to hold the water in? Are you sipping or glugging? Are you peeing more often if you drank on an empty stomach?

I'm not sure if I'm eating enough carbs/electrolytes or not. I'd say it takes me about 20-30 minutes to finish a bottle, taking several big glugs each sip and then 1/2 an hour or so later I have to pee a bunch of times. I haven't noticed any real difference on a full/vs empty stomach.

Oh, and I don't sweat a lot ever, even when I'm working out really hard. I used to almost never sweat no matter what I did, but after 16-17 I started to a bit.

You've found your own solution really: sip slowly over the full day don't scarf it down in twenty minutes and then wait an hour for the next bottle. If you flood the stomach and thus the blood with water, the kidneys will go into overdrive in order to reestablish homeostasis so you will pee the whole lot back out again. Change that, if you are still peeing constantly reduce the amount you drink because you could be flushing out much needed electrolytes.

Also check if you are eating enough carbs and electrolytes, are you eating a balanced diet from ALL the food groups including plenty of beans, lentils, wholegrains, nuts and seeds plus the recommended seven to nine servings of fruit and veggies?