Sugary/unhealthy foods during celebrations....

Options
Hey, does anyone else find it really difficult during celebrations like weddings/brithdays/anniversarys to avoid sugary foods.
I mean its just so tough, my little sisters birthday was today and i was litrally the only one not eating cake......

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Not really. I despise sweet food, but that's just me. That being said, I am not one of those people who brings their own food to a cookout either. One day won't wreck your body, and you just end up looking like a *kitten*.
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Today we had a birthday party at the office and someone brought in a cream cheese pie. I had a tiny slice and it was about 200 cals .. but worth each bite! :D I will have a smaller dinner to compensate.
  • afia233
    afia233 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    im just worried once i get the taste for it (it being cakes and sugary stuff) back, i wont be able to quite it again....its happened before...and your right...i did look a little douchey...urgh. :(
  • skolbe29
    skolbe29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just either eat something before hand so I can control myself at the event and am not so hungry, I think allow some room for cake.
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If it's not wrong to opt out of birthday cake because you're lactose intolerant, and it's not wrong to opt out of dinner wine because you're a recovering alcoholic, I see no reason that it could be wrong to opt out of birthday cake because you find it addictive and want to stay away for your own health.
    Anyone who would think less of you for making healthy choices is not someone whose opinion you should care about.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    its a celebration..I partake..its not as if celebrations are everyday..you have to learn how to do everything in moderation. i am east indian..so its tradition to atleast have a bite of the cake and whatnot to wish the person a long healthy life...my parents taught me that..and I teach my kids that..its doesnt mean i take 2 slices..but a bite..and it satisfies the sweet tooth
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    if it for a special event just enjoy it! chalk it up to a bad day and do better next time. Or if your really worried then like someone else said, eat something before hand so your less tempted
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Yes, which is why I don't avoid them. Celebrations are the things that make life worth living, and you will take my slice of birthday cake when you pry it from my cold, dead, happy hands.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Um. Why wouldn't you eat the cake? The cake isn't going to suddenly put on 5 pounds. Celebrate life's moments, otherwise its all just one long boring walk to the grave.
  • kairisika
    Options
    Why do people assume that it's necessary to eat unhealthy food to 'celebrate'?
    Yes, if you enjoy cake, there's nothing at all wrong with having it sometimes. Go for it!
    But there's also nothing at all wrong with choosing not to partake in unhealthy things, even when lots of other people do.

The cultural significance of unhealthy types of food, amounts of food, methods of eating, and whatnot are a major contributor to unhealthy lives.

To the OP - eat some if you want it. But don't ever eat something you don't want to eat just because other people try to guilt you into it.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Um. Why wouldn't you eat the cake? The cake isn't going to suddenly put on 5 pounds. Celebrate life's moments, otherwise its all just one long boring walk to the grave.

Words to live by.

And let's not even get started on what merits "healthy" or "unhealthy food" here... :can of worms:
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Here at the office, we celebrate birthdays once a month (for everyone who had a birthday during the month). When I first began my journey to a better exercise and nutrition plan, I would skip out on eating a slice (I would be there to show support as we sang happy birthday).

Now that I'm at or near my goal weight, if I feel like having a small slice, I'll do so (200-400 calories). I know that one slice per month wont blow up my nutrition plan. The key is to use it as a rare treat and not every day. Some like to have a treat as part of their "cheat meal" and I say to each their own. Do whatever works for you.

I advise that if you feel like having a rare treat and you stay under your calorie goal, then it's okay to do so. When I began my journey, I knew I was not going to live the rest of my life without ever eating something sweet or gooey (I love Rudy's pudding). If you feel that having a treat may return you to your bad habits, then you have to abstain until your healthy food habits are formed.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Words to live by.

And let's not even get started on what merits "healthy" or "unhealthy food" here... :can of worms:

QFT
  • 2012Sonya
    2012Sonya Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    What you eat is your business. I take my own food to family celebrations, as I have a very strict diet for health reasons. It is about the company, not about the food.
  • kairisika
    Options
    Words to live by.
    It is really not *necessary* to eat to celebrate. I think it's very telling of the unhealthy mindset that everyone here equates eating with celebrating. It is entirely possible to celebrate without eating anything at all.
    As for what is healthy and unhealthy, there may well be grey area, but you have to be pretty deluded to come up with any system that lets you put birthday cake under 'healthy'. Doesn't mean you can't have it. Sure, there would be different ideas as to what level of unhealthy. but surely everyone has the sense to recognise that it simply isn't 'healthy'.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm making a salted caramel apple pie for my dad's birthday. I had to taste the filling to get it right, and you better believe I'm tasting that pie. Gotta make sure it's worth making again obviously.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    If it's not wrong to opt out of birthday cake because you're lactose intolerant, and it's not wrong to opt out of dinner wine because you're a recovering alcoholic, I see no reason that it could be wrong to opt out of birthday cake because you find it addictive and want to stay away for your own health.
    Anyone who would think less of you for making healthy choices is not someone whose opinion you should care about.

I agree. I have had fat friends say to me, "Oh, come on---just one little piece of cake won't hurt you." To me it sounds like a drunk saying to a reformed alcoholic, "Oh come on--just one little drink won't hurt you."
  • You can indulge once in a while for special occasions. One unhealthy meal isn't going to make you fat, like one healthy meal isn't going to make you ripped.
    Just do whatever you want to do.
  • TyDroid
    TyDroid Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I wish there was, like, a +1 button or something I could click for your post.