Best weight loss book you have read

Options
I have read a number of weight loss books that have been helpful like Bob Harper's "The Skinny Rules", to some that have been a complete waste of money like "Skinny *****". What weight loss book would you recommend and why?

Replies

• ChattyKathy316
    ChattyKathy316 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading The Mindful Appetite by Susan Albers. It has more to do with how a person eats rather what what a person eats. I've gotten to the point where I would be eating without even thinking about it, considering what to eat, 'evaluating' hunger before eating and actually enjoying the experience of eating. It's not about weight-loss as much as it is about learning to eat in a healthy manner, but it's helping me be thoughtful about the way I'm eating which helps a lot.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    "Diet's Still don't work" It is kind of old, but the teaching is great. The book is not about dieting but about knowing when you are full and stopping at that point. It is also kind of a workbook that includes questions that will open your eyes as to, why you eat what you eat, how to make better decisions, and how to identify your "ques" of hunger and cravings. Also, Lean and Mean by Billy Beck III, It is short, to the point, includes some of his training techniques, and has this "bullets" indicating the principles that you need to learn in order to get results.
  • lhatt83
    lhatt83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed "The Eat Clean Diet" Easy to follow and a lot of simple, good advice
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Death by Supermarket. Not really a diet book. More about lifestyle.
  • PicNdazy
    PicNdazy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Fit or Fat by Covert Bailey...Oldie, but not out of date.

Here is part of a review on the book...This book is intended for average folks that know they should be getting some exercise but have difficulty getting physical fitness into their daily routine. It's motivating, complete unto itself, and will explain in very clear and easy terms how to get the most physical benefit from your precious exercise time. (This applies to 90% of us.) This book is NOT intended for gym dogs or athletes in training that have already established an intense exercise program. That 10% of the populaton is training at a much higher level and already knows this stuff.
  • vmdave
    vmdave Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I lost 91 pounds previously using body for life.

I loved "Body for Life". Bill Phillips is not a scholar but the eating healthy and exercise sections are awesome. It helped me understand how the body handles food better than any other book / article I had ever read.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    "Eat up, Slim Down" by Prevention Magazine It's explains in plain English how to lose weight, has charts for calorie consumption and has *real* food recipes by real people who have lost and kept weight off (ie "got healthier lifestyles") and or *professionals* who help people to do so.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    "Amazing adventures of diet girl"...not a diet book, but more of a personal story. It was motivational in the same way the success stories are, just a bit longer
  • Nerdinista
    Nerdinista Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I liked Michael Pollan's "Food Rules"
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I think Body for Life was the best, most motivational book I've read on diet and exercise. I just pulled it out again so I could restart the weight lifting portion of the book. I also like Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food on the nutrition side.
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    2 books on the opposite ends of the diet spectrum:

The China Study
    The Art and Science of Low Carb Living

Both are great, and both make great cases for either living a plant based diet lifestyle or a low carb diet lifestyle.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    "Brains Over Brawn", available as a free PDF (in case this link doesn't work, can simply be googled.) http://brainoverbrawn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/brainoverbrawn.pdf

VERY simply written, VERY easy to understand. Doesn't mess with insane numbers or complicated sciency-stuff-that-can-make-my-head-hurt. Don't always ascribe to everything in that book (I think meal timing is a silly thing to insist on), but overall - love this one.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I really like The Abs Diet. It's not gimmicky and it has a bunch of suggestions for really easy, simple recipes and a ton of exercises you can do at home. It's a little more geared toward men, which is probably a good thing. The whole thing is pretty mix and match. Also the first time I was introduced to the idea that cardio is way overrated as far as toning up goes. It's a good read even if you don't really do the plan. I still make myself one of the breakfast sandwiches almost every morning.

I read one of Jillian Michaels' books and it was good, but my god were the recipes redonkulous. Good, but ridiculous. I can't afford to eat lamb, I can't find swordfish and I'm okay with eating a sandwich or leftovers once in a while! I'm glad she went through the effort of finding tasty recipes, but sometimes less is more. Way too much time and money to follow the plan to the letter. It's still worth a read though, there are good ideas in there. I just wouldn't bother trying to do the plan unless you have no job or have a personal chef. I cook from scratch a lot anyway but it was a lot even for me.

Oh yeah and Skinny Bish is the most worthless piece of crap I've ever read. It's really a trick to try to get people to go vegan, which is fine, but there is so much crap in there that is downright incorrect or ignorant.
  • jan1755
    jan1755 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thin for life which is a book about the masters of weightloss. Individuals who ha e lost at least 20 pounds and kept them off for at least three years. The book includes their advice and stories and I tear views. Helped me in the past to take off twenty pounds. I'm thinking of reading this book again.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed Tosca Reno's EATING CLEAN DISCHARGED
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Ohh I'm so sorry I can't think of the name of it, but the best one I have read was by Oprah Winfrey and her trainer, okay I found it, it was called 'Make The Connection' with Bob Greene. It made me realize a lot of why I was overeating.
  • bethFromDayton
    bethFromDayton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My "diet book" is the Beck Diet Solution, Train your brain to think like a thin person" by Judith Beck, PhD.

It is not a specific diet plan--it is a guided workbook on using Cognitive Behavior Therapy to change your behavior and attitudes and approach to dieting and eating. There are a series of activities for the 6 week program I'm well into the 3rd week, but have read through the entire book. I re-read at least one chapter per day. I'm a little stalled on Days 14 and 15, but I'm working on them.

If "Beck" and "Cognitive Behavior Therapy" sound familar to you, it's because her father, Aaron Beck, MD is the create of the "Beck Depression Assessment" and they are co-founders of the Beck Institute. Aaron Beck wrote *the* text for clinicians about CBT.

I can't recommend this book enough--It is helping me make what I think are permanent changes in my behavior--and teaching me how to deal with cravings and temptations.
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Wow Where Did the Fat Go. The author is the biggest loser doctor. He explains how the huge weekly weight loss is possible from home.

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Did-All-Fat-Prescription/dp/1931290571
  • Nurseblondy
    Options
    That's exactly what I am looking for, thanks for the response!
  • buildingdreams
    buildingdreams Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman. read it !!