My doc suggested JUICING....Who does it?

Options

Replies

• cherieinkaty
    Options
    Get the right machine and you get ALL the nutrients from your veggies. I use the Nutri Bullet. It's sold at Target. Also, watch the documentary Forks Over Knives.....really good information.
  • Bonez7
    Bonez7 Posts: 2
    Options
    FAT SICK AND NEARLY DEAD.... http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/ Is all i gotta say Juicing is AMAZING !!! I
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You can also use a high quality blender to blend your juice then squeeze the juice out with a nutbag. This method can also produce great juice. You could always try with the blender you have add a little water and squeeze through the bag. I think nutbags for making nut milk can be purchased at most health food stores.

To the person who asked for recipes I think the best way is to keep it simple. You can mix almost anything. If your afraid something you added might have a strong taste add a lemon. Try to add one or two veggies to each juice. Fruits really up the sugar and caloric content. The juice I made this morning was 1 grapefruit, 1 orange, 1 lemon and 3 cups of kale and it was a whopping 200 calories for approx 2 cups of juice. I check the nutritional content of my juices at Phytos.com. They have a build your own juice calculator.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    That's it, your doc said try juicing with no other guidance or direction? I think you need a new doc.

e suggested this to help kick my weight loss back into gear, along with watching the video on Netflix about weightloss and juicing. I forget the name right now...he also said the lady mentioned it made her headaches stop, which is why I'm going to the dr in the first place.

Seriously, your doc said he saw this on Netflix and not based on any scientific research? Wow...I think you need a 2nd opinion.

As for juicing, juice any fruits, vegetables that you want and like, it will go together anyhow.
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Here is a great video on making juice with a high speed blender. I've never done this but it seems reasonable. The lady doing the video has a lot of videos on YouTube about raw food.
    http://youtu.be/YGendHVlxro
  • Metallux
    Metallux Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I also got into juicing after fat sick and nearly dead. I have a centrifugal blender. juice fasting was wonderful but I ended up starving for solid food by dinner time after a couple days. AND it just cost too much for my budget. If I had more money I'd probably juice a lot more daily.

Now I mainly eat my salad greens but I still add a green juice a day. I can afford it, it "reset" my palette to crave more vegetables. Its way more sustainable over the long haul for me rather than only juicing.

my fav juice recipe is like a salsa:
    1 cucumber
    2 tomato
    some greens (spinach, kale, romaine)
    cilantro
    small slice of onion
    1 lemon or lime
    1 poblano
    dash of salt
    *optionally I sometime blend this up with 1/2 avocado to make it a smoothie
  • vampiremeus
    vampiremeus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think juicing is a great way to get more vegetables into your diet, especially for people who need to be tricked into eating them (like kids and husbands lol) :wink:
  • vampiremeus
    vampiremeus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Get the right machine and you get ALL the nutrients from your veggies. I use the Nutri Bullet. It's sold at Target. Also, watch the documentary Forks Over Knives.....really good information.

Hey - How does the Nutri Bullet compare to other juicers/blenders? I'm looking into the different kinds to see which one is right for me. Does this one still give you the benefits of the fiber? And how easy is it to use and clean?
    Thanks!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    ALL FOR IT!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is take the needle...and oh wait wait..not that juicing :embarassed:
  • MJ0214
    MJ0214 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love juicing! I've been juicing the veggies I hate and just chug them that way. It's way easier to get my veggies in for the day doing it that way, but I do hate drinking any calories so I don't overdo it with the fruits
  • BlessedHeart
    BlessedHeart Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    *Bump*
  • k0pir
    k0pir Posts: 7
    Options
    So I've been being treated for almost 2 years for chronic headaches and today my doctor changed my meds and suggested maybe I should try 'juicing' to rid my headaches and jumpstart my weight loss. I don't know a whole lot about juicing and was hoping others could help me. What do you mix and how good does it taste? Any other thoughts would be great. Thanks!

Hey that's an awesome doc. I was just reading about how medication afftects our bodies and especially our liver. I won't go into details, but juicing is an excellent way to detox.

Juicing is also an excellent way to get your body back in balance. Get a good book. I recommend:Juicing, Fasting, and Detoxing for Life: Unleash the Healing Power of Fresh Juices and Cleansing Diets.

Best of luck to you and if you already have a juicer, just try some carrots, spinach and an apple. It's delicious! http://www.primejuicers.com
  • maarowak
    Options
    I heard amazing things about juicing. Never tried it, but there are detoxing programs in which you have juice for 3 days, or 6 even.
    I really want to try it one day.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss scale is Funny.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Why didn't he refer you to a registered dietician if this is a medical treatment?
    Yes
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    If your physician is not a nutritionist or have any experience in nutrition then I wouldn't take their advice. :) I don't ask my dentist for gynecological advice.

This ^^^^, but I would change nutritionist to Registered Dietitian. Anyone can take a couple classes and call themselves a nutritionist.
    Also yes, but they really don't even have to take the classes.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss scale is Funny.

• Princesa4u
    Princesa4u Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, watch Fat, Sick & Nearly dead on NetFlix, its about a few individuals who transformed their health and weight through juicing. Its awesome. It motivated my husband and I to try it. Its HARD! The juices are awful for the most part, but I greatly believe in its benefits. I believe I lost 5lbs and my husband about 8lb. Its possible it was mostly water weight, but it has great health benefits. We recently did Dr. Oz's 3 day detox, didn't lose any weight, but did it mostly to detoxify. I actually think its great that a doctor would recommend you to do something so natural. Most doctors just want to stuff you with pills, this is actually healthy. I recommend you look into it and give it a shot. Good luck!
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yes, watch Fat, Sick & Nearly dead on NetFlix, its about a few individuals who transformed their health and weight through juicing. Its awesome. It motivated my husband and I to try it. Its HARD! The juices are awful for the most part, but I greatly believe in its benefits. I believe I lost 5lbs and my husband about 8lb. Its possible it was mostly water weight, but it has great health benefits. We recently did Dr. Oz's 3 day detox, didn't lose any weight, but did it mostly to detoxify. I actually think its great that a doctor would recommend you to do something so natural. Most doctors just want to stuff you with pills, this is actually healthy. I recommend you look into it and give it a shot. Good luck!
    Detox is a myth- http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/detox-diets-purging-myths