44 - Female - No self-control

Options
13»

Replies

• KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Yes to all of this with one more thing to add -- log how you feel when you make the decision to eat something like two king-sized candy bars and then afterwards log how you feel. You can log emotions and body sensations. I have learned alot from doing this.
  • imheavenbound
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Like the others said LOG EVERYTHING.

It's only when we become really honest about our intake that we can make the changes that we need to make for a healthier life.

After YEARS of yo-yoing and losing the same set of pounds over and over again I finally decided enough was enough and started to make HEALTHY choices.

I LOVE to eat but am now EXCHANGING the calories for better foods or, if I backslide then I try to exercise the calories off (or at least take some of them off.)

One last thing: This is YOUR life. You deserve to be the best you can be so that you can be the best you can be for others. Find people that will encourage YOU and go for it!!!!
  • mommyz722
    Options
    You are not alone! I am the same way! I agree with everyone with logging everything!!! It helps in the long run! I know when I was in WW they always stressed to log EVERYTHING! Even if it was a lick or nibble! It really makes you see where your hang ups are. I wish you the best of luck!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    What helped me right at the start was the set up of my diary and preplanning my meals.

I made sure I allowed myself a certain number of calories in the day for snacks but not to the detriment of my meals. By doing this I didn't feel cheated or that I had to miss out on certain things because I was on a 'diet'. It began to feel like a lifestyle change. I can have this or that but I just have this much instead of the whole thing. I only need the taste as it isn't designed to be my only source of sustenance.

I also found that the healthier my meals became, the snacks started to follow suit. (for example: 4 squares of chocolate or a small plate of fruit...fruit started winning)
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I am new here. I have no self-control. I just ate two super king size hershey chocolate bar. Sigh. I hope that logging what I eat might be helpful to me. Any help is appreciated.

log everything. be honest. be accurate. even if you're not adhering to your goal settings at first, getting into the habit of logging is the first step for this whole process.

once you are doing that, you'll start making slightly better food choices. it just sort of happens.

^^ This... and remember the diary is a tool for you... you can run reports after you have entered for awhile and really examine your eating habits, just be honest and I found that looking at other peoples diary really helped me make better food choices in the beginning. I didn't even know Quinoa or turkey bacon existed until MFP. lol
  • gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Small step at the beginning, the add bigger steps. If the junk food is in the house, get it out. Don't buy candy, sodas, or anything that won't support you goal. I buy heathy choice meals, and frozen breakfast to fall back on when I don't have time to cook. And when I do cook I make extra to eat for 2 -3 days. I do have bad days such as today. but I keep logging my food. Stay positive and focus on the long journey we will take to get healthy.
    Viki
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I had another thought on your husband bringing in treats to calm you down- think about what non-food things he can do that would make you feel better when you're stressed- or what you can do for yourself. Flowers? A foot massage? A back rub? A CD of music you like? One delicious Lindt truffle instead of a bag of cookies? You and he both need to find new ways of nurturing you.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I had another thought on your husband bringing in treats to calm you down- think about what non-food things he can do that would make you feel better when you're stressed- or what you can do for yourself. Flowers? A foot massage? A back rub? A CD of music you like? One delicious Lindt truffle instead of a bag of cookies? You and he both need to find new ways of nurturing you.

Yes, tell him other things that make you feel good. Sounds as if you have a loving husband, who wants you to be happy.

I also want to say something about the self control that everyone says they don't have. You do, I have read many articles on this topic. In fact all of us have at sometime or another put ourselves on these horrible restrictive diets. You know what I'm talking about. Crazy stuff like grapefruit and meat, no fats at all, no carbs at all. If you can do even one day of one of these stupid diets, you have self control. The thing is these types of diets are bad for you and that is the real reason we don't stick to them. We need more food.

Your choices will get better as you feel better. You are strong, and it really does sound like your husband with a little education is going to be supportive. Hang in there, log log log. When you are ready start exercising, you'll be amazed at how good that feels.
  • LuvHinesWard86
    LuvHinesWard86 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This cold be my title other than the fact I won't be 44 until Sept. :D Logging helps only if honest. That's my issue. I think if I don't log it, I didn't really eat it.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Start small -- You can do this!

For the first few days, or even the first week, just log EVERYTHING you eat. Hopefully you will see how much you are over-eating and you can make changes from there with conviction.

You got this!

Logging your food for a few days will not be enough. Plan to log your food for the future, so that the changes you make become a way of life.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    This is a great community, and there are so many people here to encourage each other. Definitely log everything, I know it's been helpful to me to be honest with what I'm eating each day. Also, I've found that getting some form of activity in each day makes a HUGE difference in not only how we feel, but also allows you to eat more calories for fuel, which is very important. Even walking around the neighborhood for half an hour can boost endorphins and metabolism. It's not about perfection each day, just making mindful decisions because you are worth it. Take care-- and I wish you the very best.:smile:

Great advice...
    start logging your food
    get active, do what you can do, when your feeling it do more...good for body and mind.

Good luck! We are here for you :)