OK... Let's Just Talk About It....

Options

Replies

• janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I dont think that should be logged. If anything it should be part of your normal activity. Just like cleaning should not be logged. Just my 2 cents

Yes, I agree. Now, if you went at it extra hard for hours, maybe you could count it if this were something extraordinary for you. If it is regular old sex or cleaning, no log.
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    i couldnt imagine logging sex in just so i could shovel more food into my mouth.

ugh.. gross.

She was just asking a question...your answer is quite rude.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Oh silly....just log it as horseback riding and don't worry. :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Maybe as squats or lunges... if... oh, hmmm, you know.
  • katnord
    katnord Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is funny to me. My boyfriend and I started tracking on here at the same time. We both want to be healthy, loose a little weight, and be fitter. Once you start paying attention to what your body is doing, this seems like a natural question. He bought a heart rate monitor, and the second thing he said to me about it was: "Can I wear it during sex!?"

We are both scientists we wanted to know; how many calories do I burn on top, how many calories do you burn on top, how many calories do we burn standing up in the shower? These seemed like perfectly natural questions to me.

I recommend you get a heart rate monitor and "investigate" this yourself. Then log the calories as raking.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    If it brings your calories to a deficit between your bmr and tdee, and isn't already accounted for in your daily activity, then log it. Wear an hrm, or if you don't have one, take a look at the clock before and after. Don't overestimate the timing and log it under something similar in exercise intensity.

I don't understand the reasoning of "if you had sex (or cleaned your house, etc.) before you were trying to lose weight, it doesn't count as an exercise." People were not eating at a deficit then as they are trying to do now. The type of activity is irrelevant as long as it is accounted for in activity either as daily routine or an exercise, and the calorie deficit is present. You don't have to wear the brightest coloured running shoes and have a gym membership to lose weight.
  • i_am_kate
    Options
    http://www.mydr.com.au/tools/calories-burned-calculator

If you're in the US, you'll have to convert your weight to kilograms and your height to centimetres, but it does have three different options for sex: light, moderate or vigorous effort.

Using my stats (168cm, 70.9kg), light effort for 15 mins equated to a 16 calorie burn, moderate effort equated to a 21 calorie burn and vigorous effort equated to a 24 calorie burn.
  • brower47
    Options

If you're in the US, you'll have to convert your weight to kilograms and your height to centimetres, but it does have three different options for sex: light, moderate or vigorous effort.

Using my stats (168cm, 70.9kg), light effort for 15 mins equated to a 16 calorie burn, moderate effort equated to a 21 calorie burn and vigorous effort equated to a 24 calorie burn.

24 over 15 mins calories during vigorous? They aren't doing it right.
  • i_am_kate
    Options

Must be close. I watched one of those doctor doco things on TV, and they reckon you burn about 200 calories a year having sex 2 - 3 times per week. Personally, I don't see it as exercise because, you know, not staying in the same position and all...

Then again, as some people have mentioned, a HRM would really be the only way to tell how many calories were burned, but that goes for any exercise.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Just going to throw out there that a HRM may not be the most accurate way to measure this.
    Heart rate is not directly related to calories burned. There is a relationship between heart rate and calories burned during moderate intensity steady state cardio. While there is an increase in heart rate during sex that is due to effort, there are other reasons for elevated heart rate that is not which would likely cause a higher reading.
    I'm a numbers nut, this is just one area I prefer not to think about in those terms.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    The point of adding exercise is to allow yourself to eat more food. Nothing else.

So if you're trying to add exercise calories from sex it's for eating more.

It's irrelevant and should be counted as part of your daily allowance.

Okay I'm not advocating including sex but you are dead wrong on why people include exercise. Some of us are here for fitness, some for weight loss, etc. MFP has great tools for keeping track of your exercise over time. Lots of people go by TDEE instead of the MFP calculation and don't eat back their exercise cals; in fact they customize their calorie settings on MFP and stay with the same ones over time.

Some people aren't even here to lose weight and ONLY log their exercise.

Just because you use exercise or MFP in a certain way does not mean everyone does. I'm here primarily for the positive support on keeping up with my exercise. I like to comment on my pals' exercise and have them comment on mine. That's why I add it. I take it you add it to "shovel more food into your mouth" as you said.
  • brower47
    Options

Must be close. I watched one of those doctor doco things on TV, and they reckon you burn about 200 calories a year having sex 2 - 3 times per week. Personally, I don't see it as exercise because, you know, not staying in the same position and all...

Then again, as some people have mentioned, a HRM would really be the only way to tell how many calories were burned, but that goes for any exercise.

... now I have to buy a HRM. Must prove calorie per 15 mins wrong!
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    i couldnt imagine logging sex in just so i could shovel more food into my mouth.

ugh.. gross.

B i t c h.

Yep!

OP- I personally don't log it but if I did, I would say it to log it as cardio or aerobic. Sorry for all the **** people are giving you for asking
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options

ugh.. gross.

B i t c h.

Yep!

OP- I personally don't log it but if I did, I would say it to log it as cardio or aerobic. Sorry for all the **** people are giving you for asking,
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    Should I log it if I'm alone when it happens?

jacking_zpsd1084491.gif

These archer gifs are cracking me up!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I had made a forum about this before and it got ALOT of attention LOL, basically i have it under "knockin the boots" , haha, seriously though I would only count it if I'm doing the work and I still purposely underestimate the "time" because I still want to carefully watch what I eat
  • kitty_764
    Options
    I don't know why some people are getting "grossed" out by that question, and I didn't get that she wanted to stuff her face a little more.
    From a person who isn't on the daily exercise train, I don't see why you wouldn't track it, expecially if you work up a sweat.
    Same goes for house cleaning, if it makes you sweat...It's good and it should count.
  • TruScorpio169
    TruScorpio169 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this the other day.. mostly out of curiosity and MFP doesn't have sex as an activity (my friend uses the app lose it and apparently they have sex as exercise). Honestly if you wanna log sex, log sex but not unless it legit feels like a workout but I don't think a 15 min session is worth logging in (unless you did it in the back of a small car.. that takes a lot of work.. so I've heard.. lol). But my diary is viewable to my friends so even if MFP allowed me to I wouldn't log sex for privacy reasons.

There's been a lot talk about what should count as exercise and what shouldn't count as exercise. I do a lot of walking during my M-F routine. I don't have a car so I walk to the bus, train, work, etc etc.. all this adds up to about 50-68 min of walking per day. I only count the walking I do outdoors even though once I'm indoors I do more walking plus a lot of walking up and down stairs since I gave up using the elevator (I work with kids so I can but stationary 1 min and walking around the school the next minute).. but I don't count how many flights I go up that's just too much. I count all the outdoor walking I do as exercise because I intentionally walk faster when I step outside & I'm breathing heavier by the time I get to where I wanted to get to. I don't log the rest because I can't type in how many flights I up go up and down throughout the day just how many minutes I do it, which I'm not about to keep track of. Also I like knowing that even after I've tracked the walking and it says something like 300 calories I know with all I did that day it's actually more than that. And if I have a 400-500 cal deficit that day I feel really good cause it's probably higher.

In short, I really do believe to each their own... if you feel like sex feels like a workout then logged it and if you feel like sex shouldn't be counted as a workout.. don't log it! I don't judge, we're all here to achieve the same thing.. get healthy and lose weight so let's do it!

Good luck to all of you on your journey!