How much of a hoarder are you?

Options

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time getting rid of boxes, especially shoe boxes.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I am a hoarder of tank tops- I wear them all the time. Everything else I go through and purge almost yearly. But.....I do have a couple of my high school and college sweatshirts and a t-shirt or two.
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I go both ways with this topic. I do hold onto a lot but, then, I go through cleaning spurts and trash stuff too. Then I start all over again. I buy way too much food and clothes. Constantly cleaning out my bedroom/closet and kitchen. My husband hoards stuff in our basement and it drives me nuts. I end up throwing stuff out down there. I can't take it. Oh and for some reason he keeps business cards forever and pens as well - makes me crazy. Course, I probably make him crazy with the clothes and food. He doesn't have a space in our closet.... :)
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Both my parents couldn't let go of anything and I always felt suffocated. I can't stand excessive amounts of stuff. I have one box of memories, but very little sentimental attachment to any object.
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I probably go this way because my mom was an extreme hoarder - I do trash stuff to though and can walk around my house - it isn't like the show but, I do have too much stuff. My mom's house was seriously like the show. We don't see each other and haven't talked in 5 or 6 years now. Sad but true story. I'm good, though.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I'm quite the opposite. I throw things out if I haven't touched them in 6 months or so.
  • TracyBarrett81
    TracyBarrett81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I so do this!! I have a decorative dish for good hand soap that I never use. I keep it for when people come over. I buy the cheap stuff and use it!
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I try to live by the 6 month rule. If I haven't used it in six months and don't plan to use it in the next six months, it's got to go. If it doesn't fit, it goes. If it's broken beyond repair, dirty beyond rejuvenation, or antiquated beyond reincarnation...bye bye.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to hold onto things that I no longer need if somebody special gave them to me. My boyfriend pointed this out because my friend got me a Doctor Who mug for my birthday, the handle broke, I refuse to throw it away and get a new one. I told him that it's still useable and if I do get a new one, I'll keep the old one because my friend got it for me.

As for clothes, I still have a bunch of clothes from high school, but I graduated in 2010, so it's not that bad. I still wear the majority of them and have few clothes other than those.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    not a bit. i hate having stuff. i get rid of anything i havent used in 6 mos. i was just doing the last of my move today and got rid of 5 garbage bags full of stuff. its liberating.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm a nightmare!! My system for clothes is: Move items I never wear from my wardrobes into suitcases. Every few 3 or 4 months I have a clear out again and if I haven't touched the stuff in the cases then they get thrown to make room for the new set of unworn items. Sounds logical right?? I'm now up to 3 suitcases!

Also say a problem with paperwork. I have years of utility bills even though you can now get all copies online! You never know when you might need to know who you phoned in 2006 :wink:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I hoard as many of my kids art and personal notes to me as I can. I can't save it all, but I do have quite a bit. I've got three girls, so i have quite a collection.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I'm far too OCD to hoard stuff.. I chuck stuff sometimes then wish I kept it lol

I am the same! I throw stuff out and then think where did I put that? Oh right! I tossed it! Oops!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to hold onto things that I no longer need if somebody special gave them to me.

I get that. I have a complete set of dishes that belonged to my mom, who died when I was 15. Even though I have never used the dishes and probably never will, I can't bring myself to let them go.
  • mdyorston
    mdyorston Posts: 158
    Options
    I hoard health and beauty products....I keep my almost empty bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion etc. You know just in case I am ever so poor I can't buy more LOL
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I consider myself as more of a collector lol. I have over 200 bottles of nail polish, over 100 thongs, roughly 100 DVDs/blu-rays and around 120 CDs.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Pens... I have 5 coffee cups of pens on my desk right now, and I am pretty sure 70% of them are too dried up to use...

Stickers... greeting cards (although I can't really afford to buy many of them any more at $4+ each!!)

Photo frames.... And photos I intend to frame and they never quite get there.....

I am also a shoe box saver... and the boxes that copier/printer paper comes in - with the nice lids?! My Dad used to work for Xerox and those became the preferred storage box for every member of my family... I still grab them whenever one is emptied at the office!!

I have nearly every letter and card ever sent to me by my sister and my mother, but I don't consider keeping them hoarding. They are precious to me. Mom can't write so much any more, every note I get from her is gold. (And they store nicely in those paper boxes...) I nearly always save my birthday and Christmas cards... at the end of the year, I bundle up that year's and put them away in one of those boxes....

Every once in a while I have to do a purge of shoes... at one point I could have made Imelda Marcos proud of all the black shoes I owned. Now I try to only keep the ones I actually wear, and a handful of "special occasion" ones.

On a recent trip to visit my family I was shocked by how bad my parents' hoarding has gotten, you can barely move through the house, and I realized that my sister and I are going to have to deal with all that... ever since I came home I have been working on my own tendency to stash, and have actually made a few hundred $$$ selling items I no longer use!

I think I am just more of a procrastinator than hoarder, and stuff accumulates because I set it aside to deal with "later"....
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    im not a hoarder with anything EXCEPT my daughter and sons baby clothes!!!!! lol..... haha...
  • _Stampede55_
    _Stampede55_ Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I dont hoard...I board...all aboard
  • _Stampede55_
    _Stampede55_ Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Cant find my ****ing hat...