Paleo / Gluten Free Diets

Options
14567810»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My background DOES have bearing. I took AG classes in highschool.

Your are mixing the meaning of the word seed. In the context you are using, then every thing that you plant is a seed, which is NOT true.

You plant apple seeds to make apple trees grow, etc. That doesn't make apples seeds. Your logic is idiotic.,

Stop twisting words.

Corn, wheat, rye are all GRASSES that produce seeds. But it doesn't take away from the fact that they are GRASSES.

Quinoa is a seed, not a grass.

The grass you grow on your lawn comes from seed, also, but that grass is not a seed.

I know you know the difference, you are trying to twist words to make them mean what you want, but you can not change that.

Cereal grains like rice and wheat are the seeds of grasses. Grains like quinoa and buckwheat are the seeds of non-grass plants that are used/eaten the same as cereal grains. Both are commonly referred to as "grains".
  • numee2012
    Options
    hi guys i have been gluten, wheat, dairy, processed food free for 3 months now and ive never felt better lost 23lbs after being stuck at the same weight for what seemed like ages. im really flowing with it now, wasnt easy at first. good luck with your journeys x
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Thought this was locked. Must have been another thread. Or maybe keto makes you hallucinate. Anyway, oops, when someone said 'cereal' in another thread, I wonder if he meant cereals as in grains and not as in that lethally addictive stuff I no longer eat with milk.

I kinda miss cereal actually. Would be nice if I could have a bowl every day and then not eat the rest of the box!
  • PrimalSiren
    Options
    I eat gluten/grain free and eat closer to what is outlined on marksdailyapple.com rather than a more strict paleo diet. I lost all of my weight within 7 months and have been able to effortlessly maintain that weight. I don't agree with the PP that said paleo isn't a good diet for performance, I've seen the very opposite of that in so many people that it's just ridiculous to say it doesn't work.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    This thread is so entertaining with the great grain/seed debate.

I think it's so much more fun to debate which is at the root of chronic inflammation..., and thus, higher CRP values, which correlate to higher risk of CVD, diabetes. Is it low carb/high fat or low fat/high carb diet. Begin...

*sigh* I know! Let's pose a psuedoscience question with no moderate sensible responses just adversarial extremes of opinion. Is a varied balanced paleo diet healthier than the diet eaten by the average US/ UK citizen? Hell yes. Is a badly planned restrictive paleo diet healthier than a balanced wholefood diet that exceeds official healthy eating guidelines? Hell no.

Ministry of the bleeding obvious.
  • peanutbutterfish
    Options
    A few good gluten free beers: New Planet (Colorado), Estrella Daura (Spain), Omission (Oregon).
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    There really is no such thing as "whole grain". You can't eat it straight from the plant out of a field and it has to be highly processed in order to be edible.

This is not true. "Whole grain" does not refer to the whole plant, it is a term that means the germ and bran were not removed before consumption. It is possible to eat many grains "processing" them with nothing other than your hands.

That small sprinkling of what they call whole grain is ground up so fine and still have to be fortied with nutrients because yes, they are still stripping the nutrients out when they process it to be fit to be consumed.

That sounds real healthy. I prefer to eat things that don't need to be fortified with nutrients to be eaten and considered healthy.

You are the exact type of person (and there are many of you out there) that they want. Sheeple that just eat up and drink the koolaid of false knowledge they feed you.

As someone else mentioned, white rice is the only "safe" grain, if there are any safe grains.

Quinoa is not a grain either. It is a seed.

News flash, grains are seeds too. How do you think wheat reproduces? Live birth?

Grains are grasses if you want to get technical. Not all grains are seeds. Quinoa is more closelessy related to beets and tumbleweed, not wheat, rye or barley.

I don't want to get technical, I want to get accurate.

Grains are not grasses but a part of them. All grains are seeds. Yes, they are in a different class of plants but that doesn't change that grains are seeds just as much as quinoa. Merriam Webster's definition of a grain: a seed or fruit of a cereal grass.

I grew up farming in farm country in the Midwest. I just talked to my Uncle who is still a farmer................

All cereal grains are GRASSES and are cultivated for their "grain". Quinoa is a seed, not a grass - therefore it is NOT a grain. Not all seeds are grains.

I am done with this conversation.

You all think what you want to think.

I don't care where you grew up, inconsequential. I don't care who your uncle is, inconsequential.

All grains are a component of different grasses. All grains are the seed portion of those grasses.

Never said quinoa was a grass.

Never said quinoa was a grain.

Yes, not all seeds are grains but all grains are seeds.

You never should have started this conversation by saying that grains are not seeds. If you asked your farmer uncle what he uses to plant his grasses, he'd tell you he uses seeds. If you then asked him if the seeds are the grain portion of those grasses, he would say yes.

I'm only going to think what's so obviously correct.

Your are mixing the meaning of the word seed. In the context you are using, then every thing that you plant is a seed, which is NOT true.

You plant apple seeds to make apple trees grow, etc. That doesn't make apples seeds.

Stop twisting words.

Corn, wheat, rye are all GRASSES that produce seeds. But it doesn't take away from the fact that they are GRASSES.

The grass you grow on your lawn comes from seed, also, but that grass is not a seed.

I know you know the difference, you are trying to twist words to make them mean what you want, but you can not change that.

I thought you were done?

Oh well, agree to disagree?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I think it's so much more fun to debate which is at the root of chronic inflammation..., and thus, higher CRP values, which correlate to higher risk of CVD, diabetes. Is it low carb/high fat or low fat/high carb diet. Begin...

*sigh* I know! Let's pose a psuedoscience question with no moderate sensible responses just adversarial extremes of opinion. Is a varied balanced paleo diet healthier than the diet eaten by the average US/ UK citizen? Hell yes. Is a badly planned restrictive paleo diet healthier than a balanced wholefood diet that exceeds official healthy eating guidelines? Hell no.

Hear, hear!! Bravo!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

/thread
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I grew up farming in farm country in the Midwest. I just talked to my Uncle who is still a farmer................

All cereal grains are GRASSES and are cultivated for their "grain". Quinoa is a seed, not a grass - therefore it is NOT a grain. Not all seeds are grains.

I don't care where you grew up, inconsequential. I don't care who your uncle is, inconsequential.

All grains are a component of different grasses. All grains are the seed portion of those grasses.

You never should have started this conversation by saying that grains are not seeds. If you asked your farmer uncle what he uses to plant his grasses, he'd tell you he uses seeds. If you then asked him if the seeds are the grain portion of those grasses, he would say yes.

You plant apple seeds to make apple trees grow, etc. That doesn't make apples seeds.

Stop twisting words.

[/quote]

I thought you were done?

Oh well, agree to disagree?
    [/quote]

If only she would keep her word on that! From your lips to God's ears.

edited to add: so I totally fouled up the quotes in an effort to shorten the stream and have no idea how to fix it. My apologies.
  • Spartan_Guy
    Spartan_Guy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A few good gluten free beers: New Planet (Colorado), Estrella Daura (Spain), Omission (Oregon).

I'm a fan of New Planet and Omission, and even Redbridge will do in a pinch. I've never tried the Estrella Daura, I'll have to look for it!
  • shellisugar
    shellisugar Posts: 120 Member
    Options

I'm a fan of New Planet and Omission, and even Redbridge will do in a pinch. I've never tried the Estrella Daura, I'll have to look for it!

Thanks for the beer recs, everyone. : smile:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There really is no such thing as "whole grain". You can't eat it straight from the plant out of a field and it has to be highly processed in order to be edible.

This is not true. "Whole grain" does not refer to the whole plant, it is a term that means the germ and bran were not removed before consumption. It is possible to eat many grains "processing" them with nothing other than your hands.

That small sprinkling of what they call whole grain is ground up so fine and still have to be fortied with nutrients because yes, they are still stripping the nutrients out when they process it to be fit to be consumed.

That sounds real healthy. I prefer to eat things that don't need to be fortified with nutrients to be eaten and considered healthy.

You are the exact type of person (and there are many of you out there) that they want. Sheeple that just eat up and drink the koolaid of false knowledge they feed you.

As someone else mentioned, white rice is the only "safe" grain, if there are any safe grains.

Quinoa is not a grain either. It is a seed.

News flash, grains are seeds too. How do you think wheat reproduces? Live birth?

Grains are grasses if you want to get technical. Not all grains are seeds. Quinoa is more closelessy related to beets and tumbleweed, not wheat, rye or barley.

I don't want to get technical, I want to get accurate.

Grains are not grasses but a part of them. All grains are seeds. Yes, they are in a different class of plants but that doesn't change that grains are seeds just as much as quinoa. Merriam Webster's definition of a grain: a seed or fruit of a cereal grass.

Stop twisting words.

Ha. Apples are fruits. They disseminate the seeds, in the same way that grains are fruits, that disseminate seeds. So, yes, actually, you could say the apple is the seed. The apple tree isn't the seed. Just like the grain of a grass is the fruit, which will technically be the seed, the grass itself isn't. The only person twisting things around is you. You're right, quinoa isn't a cereal, it's called a pseudocereal, and is treated and utilized like a typical cereal grass, hence it's called a grain. Grain = fruit or seed of a cereal or pseudocereal. Buckwheat and chia are also pseudocereals, and are commonly referred to as grains.
  • CornellGirl
    CornellGirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Is anyone with celiac/ following paleo or SCD having trouble eating fruits (especially starchy fruits like bananas and fruit with pectin - like apples with the skin?) I'm just wondering if fruit specifically is advocated for by paleo dieters (I've read many mixed reviews on the topic of fruit).

Evolutionary theory makes a great argument for paleo diet/ living / workouts etc.

I studied evolutionary biology in undergrad and learned extensively about the importance of meat and the development of brain size in hominids. It's truly shocking what the USDA preaches with the food pyramid...I could never bring myself to eat so much servings of grain...crazy attack on my intestines.
  • Debkam
    Debkam Posts: 80
    Options
    @CornellGirl,

I do not have celiac, but do have UC and I have trouble with most fruits, especially starchy ones. Even the fruits I can tolerate, I must eat only occasionally. Carrots are not my gut friends either. Hopefully, later when healed a bit more, I'll be able to tolerate them better. Are you familiar with SIBO (Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth)?