How do you fall sleep?

Options

Replies

• fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Seriously, try the melatonin. I always had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. Now, I don't have trouble with either. I get a full 6 hours sleep every night. It usually takes about 30 minutes to work. Plus, I never feel groggy when I wake up like I always had with any other type of sleep aid. Hope ya find something that works for you though.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i take natural herbal sleep aids from the supermarket. they work so well i also got my mum and friend onto them. things like passionflower, skullcap etc are great.

I also have (and this sounds nuts but works) some baby massage oil/lotion with sleep aid in it (the one i have is just by Johnsons and is moonflower scented) and i put it on my arms and neck before sleeping if i'm having insomnia issues and it helps lull you.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I switch from working days to nights every two months. 12 hour shifts. I have a hard time sleeping on my days off at night. I find the biggest reason is my mind is active. Always thinking about something while I'm laying in bed. like my to-do list, or want to do list. I saw that you come home sore and work is crazy. I would say gotta find something to take your mind off of work I know you said no sleeping pills but the melatonin is all natural. might try it. a bottle is cheap. try once or read about it and and see if your interested.

I have this schedule too. I also can't drink on duty days but on my days of I take a bath with a glass of wine and it relaxes me so I can sleep.

I tried melatonin and I have had mixed reults with it. Soemtimes it works and sometiems it still doesnt.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    2 1/2 tamazipan and 1 1/2 citalipram a hot choc and my supper normally works for me.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have this schedule too. I also can't drink on duty days but on my days of I take a bath with a glass of wine and it relaxes me so I can sleep.

I tried melatonin and I have had mixed reults with it. Soemtimes it works and sometiems it still doesnt.
    [/quote]

i wish i wasn't too tall for my bathtub!! lol
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    Seriously, try the melatonin. I always had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. Now, I don't have trouble with either. I get a full 6 hours sleep every night. It usually takes about 30 minutes to work. Plus, I never feel groggy when I wake up like I always had with any other type of sleep aid. Hope ya find something that works for you though.

melatonin is awesome, but even after about a week or so i have to keep taking more and more so i have to stop for a while then take it again, because i get used to it
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    2 1/2 tamazipan and 1 1/2 citalipram a hot choc and my supper normally works for me.

are those suppliments or medications?
  • trudijoy
    Options

citalopram is an antidepressant . . .
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options

citalopram is an antidepressant . . .

ah ok gotcha, well when i was a teenager, i had a "series of unfortunate events" i guess is the best way t put it, and had night terrors and insomnia, and extremely vivid nightmare, so basically here is how my medications went which is why i dont believe in using them anymore (unless its life threatning serious)....
    *Seroquil 50mg then 100mg
    *Trazadone 100 mg to 150mg
    *Rozerem
    *Ambien - my doc said i was the only 14-15 yr old he knew taking this at the time!

then they said i had depression and that would help not make me feel like i got hit by a truck when i woke up
    *zoloft
    *paxil

then because i was smiling like an idiot all day, and crashing hard at night they said i had trouble "focusing" and perscribed me
    *focalin...... like seriously, this is why i dont like taking a lot of pharmicuticals (i probably spelled that wrong), so yeah i just try to keep it as natural as i can...i hate meds with a passion
  • trudijoy
    Options
    i had a nightmare coming off citalopram and wouldnt touch it with a pole. but the herbals are fine. The clinicians REM sleep pills are pharmacy ones here but natural - and work.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    i had a nightmare coming off citalopram and wouldnt touch it with a pole. but the herbals are fine. The clinicians REM sleep pills are pharmacy ones here but natural - and work.

i will have to look into that
  • trudijoy
    Options

i will have to look into that

the ones i'm currently taking are healtheries easy sleep (i live in NZ so these may or may not be available elsewhere) and they arent as strong as the REM sleep, but you can't take REM sleep if you're on anti-d's, so I changed to these ones and see no reason to stop while they're working :)
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    fair point :smile:
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options

so what are your home remedys?

Go to bed with a good book, prop up your pillows, dim light and start reading. Before you know it, book has slipped out of your hands :wink:

This is what I do every night. It works...unless you really like reading. Sometimes I stay up for hours accidentally :laugh:
  • Enchantica
    Options
    A few drops of lavender essential oil on your pillow (and in a warm bath before bedtime too if you have a bath) then load a talking book onto your ipod (or even a hypnosis relaxation session) Set your ipod to switch off after 30 minutes though otherwise you'll miss most of the book! :smile:
  • unchainedzulu
    unchainedzulu Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    sleepy tea is ok if you like the taste of chamomile. - i like it better without the apple in it.
    hot showers are good for me, makes me all relaxed especially if i focus on 'washing off the drama of the day"
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I am border line sleep apnea so I have no problem falling asleep. It's staying awake I have a problem with. Especially while I'm working nights and going to school full time :(.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Also, citalopram is not for sleeping, it is an anti-depressant. It's a nightmare to get off of because it's a psych med. I know I'm on it myself. I love the stuff it has turned my life around 180 degrees, but when I don't take it for a few days I get really light headed and dizzy.

Instead of a drug, if you are having trouble sleeping try melatonin. It is a supplement you can buy over the counter. Melatonin is something your brain naturally releases to help you sleep. Working on a stupid schedule like I do can really screw up your internal clock so it is helpful. I've worked in health care for six years and it always works wonders when doctors perscribe it for my nursing home residents. My mom also takes it because she works 12 hour night shifts and it helps her sleep longer and better. She swears by the stuff and she's been a nurse for over 25 years. Just make sure you talk to your pharmacist before taking it to make sure it won't react with any of the medications you are currently taking.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options

so what are your home remedys?

Go to bed with a good book, prop up your pillows, dim light and start reading. Before you know it, book has slipped out of your hands :wink:

This is what I do every night. It works...unless you really like reading. Sometimes I stay up for hours accidentally :laugh:

i love reading so that actually keeps me up longer!!!!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    A few drops of lavender essential oil on your pillow (and in a warm bath before bedtime too if you have a bath) then load a talking book onto your ipod (or even a hypnosis relaxation session) Set your ipod to switch off after 30 minutes though otherwise you'll miss most of the book! :smile:

the lavendar oil sounds nice...i'm too tall for my bath tub haha