Being overweight is good? Wait, what?

Options

Replies

• cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I never liked BMI. It doesn't factor in all the other factors about someone's body such as bone density. I have a more muscular built body type, and I am not fat to say the slightest, but according to BMI, I am. Someone with a smaller bone density would perhaps fall under their category for BMI. I think maybe that is what the radio station meant? That being a little overweight according to BMI's standard is not necessarily bad? I guess I would need to read the article lol, but these are just my thoughts.
  • cryswest57
    Options
    Teaching about health is obviously good. But if it was I would talk more on the positives of healthy food than the negatives of bad foods. Classes like these often make fat people feel worse about themselves, or embarrassed.

Actually, I make all the fat kids in the class come up to the front of the room so I can pinch their fat rolls, ridicule them in public and make them do push ups until they puke in front of the super skinny, beautiful kids. Fat shaming is the ONLY way these kids are going to listen to me.

:wink:

You don't really do that, do you? :(
  • cryswest57
    Options
    Teaching about health is obviously good. But if it was I would talk more on the positives of healthy food than the negatives of bad foods. Classes like these often make fat people feel worse about themselves, or embarrassed.

Actually, I make all the fat kids in the class come up to the front of the room so I can pinch their fat rolls, ridicule them in public and make them do push ups until they puke in front of the super skinny, beautiful kids. Fat shaming is the ONLY way these kids are going to listen to me.

Ah, nevermind. I just caught the winky face.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    We've become a nation of fatties, and it's getting harder and harder to change our country's situation, mostly because nobody is willing to admit that what we are a nation of junk food junkies (well, a lot of us are)/

How do you define junk food? And don't you make your own choices when it comes to eating?

I'm sure you understand the difference between junk food and nutritious food. Adults make their own choices when it comes to eating. Children eat what their parents feed them. which means parents make the choices for the kids. If parents make lousy choices for their children on a regular basis, then therein lies the problem.

I was asking for your definition of junk food. Okayyy....what is it that you are teaching your students to eat and not eat? What do you consider good? bad?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Right, but if kids are taught every food is either "good" or "bad" then it just continues the all or nothing mentality of, "I ate some junk food, why try?" instead of teaching them that what's good or bad is not individual foods, but your entire diet. You don't have to choose between "perfect" and "horrible" eating patterns.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    Right, but if kids are taught every food is either "good" or "bad" then it just continues the all or nothing mentality of, "I ate some junk food, why try?" instead of teaching them that what's good or bad is not individual foods, but your entire diet. You don't have to choose between "perfect" and "horrible" eating patterns.

I agree.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    The report specifically says that this does not apply to severely obese people.

The news report also includes the fact that studies usually don't account for people who are at low weight due to illness.

It is just saying that we need to be more flexible interpreting health in relation to BMI.

And some of the thin people were smokers, so that has to be taken into consideration as well.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I believe that study refers to a BMI of 25-28.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    In the USA, Medicare is funded how?

Oh yeah, yes, I care when people are fat and don't care. It costs ME more money in an already stressed system. I HATE IT with every fiber in my body, and then a healthy person gets something, and can't get any coverage because all the fat people have spent all the Goddamn money...drained the account dry.

Harsh! How do feel about all those "cancer" folks who drain the system, leaving you to pick up the costs of their unaffordable health care? How DARE they get cancer on MY dime.

:grumble:

Not saying I agree with the original poster you quoted, but to be fair, most cancers aren't readily preventable whereas most obesity related diseases are, by not being obese. The two (cancer and obesity caused medical issues) really aren't comparable.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

AWARENESS of what we are eating is the key in changing our habits. I have already exceeded my sodium intake today, and I'm freaking out because I'm going out for a fancy dinner which the appetizer is very salty. Awareness of this is making me rethink the appetizer choice.

Stress can also have very negative consequences on heath. I would stop "freaking out" if you go over your sodium for a day. Tomorrow you could just have a low sodium day?
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

It's a shame sarcasm doesn't show up in posts. Of course I do not do this.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    We've become a nation of fatties, and it's getting harder and harder to change our country's situation, mostly because nobody is willing to admit that what we are a nation of junk food junkies (well, a lot of us are)/

How do you define junk food? And don't you make your own choices when it comes to eating?

I'm sure you understand the difference between junk food and nutritious food. Adults make their own choices when it comes to eating. Children eat what their parents feed them. which means parents make the choices for the kids. If parents make lousy choices for their children on a regular basis, then therein lies the problem.

I was asking for your definition of junk food. Okayyy....what is it that you are teaching your students to eat and not eat? What do you consider good? bad?

I teach them to eat within their calorie guidelines and make sure to exercise regularly. We discuss appropriate levels of sugar, sodium, fat grams, carbs, etc. We discuss fast food menus, and what the healthier choices are (I actually ask them to design a healthier menu based on the food items they choose from the nutritional information I give them) I have them compare types of fast foods - pizza places to pizza places, chicken to chicken, etc, so they can make better choices if they are going to eat fast food. Do I tell them to STOP eating fast food? NO. I teach them to be aware of what they are eating, and how their choices will and can lead to issues down the road.

It doesn't change their eating styles permanently, nor have I heard any complaints from parents saying I'm some sort of food police. I've actually had a couple parents say "Thank you for making my child more aware of his choices, he's asked that we stop going to McDonald's so much because of it."

As an aside, I DO believe that the consumption of fast food has contributed more to the fattening of America than any other foods available to us. I'm a kid of the 70s, and enjoy those TV shows that show clips of people from the 70s, before the "Age of the Mega Golden Arches Monopoly" and we were far, far thinner and healthier than we are now. Even the portions of the food has changed - no longer are we satisfied with 8 oz of pop, as was the serving size long ago, we need 20 oz. The dinner plate went from 6 inches wide to 8 inches wide to accommodate larger portions. Restaurant meals are huge (I could get 2 to 3 meals out of one portion!), because we have demanded our money's worth in food quantity.

We have created this problem by becoming our own worst enemies: we want FAST food because our lives are too busy to make food at home; we want LARGER portions because of the higher prices; and we want food that is fatty and sugary because that's what our bodies need to tell us we are full. Everything is all messed up.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    As an aside, I DO believe that the consumption of fast food has contributed more to the fattening of America than any other foods available to us. I'm a kid of the 70s, and enjoy those TV shows that show clips of people from the 70s, before the "Age of the Mega Golden Arches Monopoly" and we were far, far thinner and healthier than we are now.

Actually the golden age was during the 50s and 60s, by the 70s the golden age of the burger had begun to wane under numerous pressures. Food police demonized it. McDonald's is the largest buyer of beef and has power over the cattle industry, even Schlosser says " the enormous buying power of the fast food giants has given them access to the cleanest ground beef."

Penn State's studies show that youngsters fed large lunches and then offered "junk" food ate a great deal of of that food, while others ate none. What predicted how much they consumed? Whether their parents forbid high-fat, high-sugar foods in their regular diet. Those studies find that when children are told that a food is bad, they assume it must taste good and develop an appetite for it.
  • corrinadavis
    Options
    Very well said.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    It's not good if your weight causes health problems, obviously.

But then again, not every overweight person has problems resulting from their weight.
  • corrinadavis
    Options
    Okay should put the quote here, I can see lol

I don't call people fat - it's rude. Don't care what I'm trying to do with MY body, it's rude to negatively comment on someone else's. Don't give a rat's *kitten* if someone says they feel prettier if they are overweight or that they prefer overweight partners. Their body, their preferences - ain't none of my business.

Once again very well said. I don't want to be fat and/or obese anymore, that is my choice....but does not give me the right to judge others of thier choices, right or wrong.
  • McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    There have been a lot of replies here and I have not read them all.

What I wanted to say may even be off topic but here is what I feel.

1.) being obese is not ok. It is a disease. Possibly one the obese person caused... yes.. but it has a negative impact on health. It is not a good thing or ok

but

2.) It is not everyones business how healthy or unhealthy I am or anyone else is. Negative comments about someones overweightness or obesity are not necessary unless the person who is making them is either a doctor, some sort of nutricianalist/physical trainer, a very very close friend or someone who has struggled with obesity themselves. I don't want to hear about it from a politician, I dont want to hear about it from a coworker, I dont want to hear about it from some random joe schmoe on the street, USUALLY fat people know they are fat and probably already have very low self esteem. They dont need finger pointing.

3.) fat people still can be beautiful because that is not the only thing that determines beauty.

So basically. No I dont believe overweight/obesity is ok. BUT it is really not societies business to shame fat people. Motivation must come from the right place and rudeness is not necessary.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    BMI of 30 rolling in.
  • wiglett
    wiglett Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm 20 lbs overweight and I ran the Tinkerbell half marathon in 2 hours and 33 minutes starting from the last corral and getting stuck in people traffic. . . .fastest practice time was 2:22. . not bad for fat! haha!
  • StephCoff1969
    Options

I've also been seeing quite a few people on facebook posting things like "Don't tell me I'm fat, that's "fat shaming" me!" and things like "if size 2 is beautiful, my size 22 must be divine!" and guys saying they will only date overweight and obese women.

I don't call people fat - it's rude. Don't care what I'm trying to do with MY body, it's rude to negatively comment on someone else's. Don't give a rat's *kitten* if someone says they feel prettier if they are overweight or that they prefer overweight partners. Their body, their preferences - ain't none of my business.

^^^^^^this^^^^^^^ I think I ♥ you....