46 and weight won't budge!

Options
2»

Replies

• janietonipreston
    Options
    Same ere, almost 46 too, been dieting fr 4wks now and lost 1.2lb in 1st wk and nowt since, despite trying soooo hard :(. But...lots o good encouragement on here r I wd have given up by nw :) don't lose heart x
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    You just need to exercise every day to the point where you are sweaty and out of breath. You cannot rely on cutting the calories as the only way to reduce your weight because your body gets used to fewer calories

not true.

i walk 6 miles most days and that gives me a calorie burn between 800 and 900 calories each time i do it. i never get sweaty or out of breath doing it. i walk at a comfortable pace of about 3 mph.
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm 41, and I have lost just under 42lbs since September. It's a slow and steady process with some ups and downs but in the end has been so worth it. I still have a bit over 50lbs more that I would like to loose and I will keep going slow and steady. It takes patience for sure, and some tweaking here and there. This week for example, all I have been doing is watching my calories in and walking. Today I will be going back to the gym. I adjust my calorie goal to see what is working best. It is not easy, but nothing easy sticks.

Feel free (anyone here) to add me...I'm here everyday and provide motivation and encouragement to my MFP friends and can always use the inspiration and motivation myself. Good luck!!
  • lotz4less4u
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement. 4 years ago I hit my goal of 155 pound but have since gained back 20 pounds. I am fairly tall, 5ft 9in so as they say....I carry it well...but that isn't good enough for me. As for my routine....I either walk/ recumbent bike/ swim or work on the eliptical 4 to 5 times per week. I have been watching my calories and sugar and I have lost 4 pounds....but....haven't budged in 2 weeks. I want to be back in the 150's and not ever gain it back again. I'm sure hormones may play a part....my thyroid is normal so that isn't the problem. I do suffer from plantar fasciatis in my right foot so I have to be careful about the intensity of the walk. Just don't know how to bump up the metabolism burn.
  • lotz4less4u
    Options
    :smile:
  • lotz4less4u
    Options
    Tracking to a point...but am trying to watch portion control too. I exercise 4 -5 times per week also....just stubborn fat I guess. :)
  • lotz4less4u
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • lotz4less4u
    Options
    We will do it!:smile:
  • Chula1962
    Options
    I joined about a month ago, but I have not been diligent about logging anything. I am 50 and it is so hard to get the first 5 pounds off. I have at least 60 pounds to lose. But I had a revelation this weekend and I am more determined than EVER to get rid of the weight. My first step was to give up soda ! I am looking for like minded friends for support and encouragement.......I live in WI.
  • Marilyn2303
    Marilyn2303 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Same age as me.
    I found before I hit 35 I could eat anything and stay slim. After that I swear I could feel fat pumping on my body. I was totally fed up in Oct and joined WW, then started with MFP again in January. I knew what my triggers were. Basically starches. I haven't had a sandwich or any kind of bread since end Sep. I've also cut out most other starches. No more potatoes, they've been switched to sweet potatoes. You know I really don't miss them either.
    I still get my fiber, eating oatmeal every morning along with lots of fruit, vegs and water. For my dinner meal I am limiting anything like chili, stew, beans, or soup to 1 cup servings. I bought an electronic scale as well for weighing my food. Metabolism has slowed down and no more "children" style eating, that's what I'm doing. Also tracking everything that I eat whether it be one candy or a full meal. If you are diligent in your tracking you should do great. :smile:
  • susie234
    Options
    I am 47 and was having same problem. Asked my MD to do more thyroid tests than the standard and came back Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It might be worth asking your doc about it again, even though you said thyroid normal some of the most basic tests don't show this and it is a common condition in women.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and I reached my goal weight in about six months. It is not necessary to exercise to extreme. I'm on maintenance now and gradually upping my calories. I get a minimum of 10,000 on my fitbit daily, usually more and use light weights a couple of days a week. The key for me was disciplined logging and avoiding processed food. I feel like a different person.
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It is harder, but not impossible. You just really have to watch what you eat more now then we did when we were 19. When we were younger it was easy to drop 7 to 10 pounds a week, now I aim for that in two months. Just cut back on small things each week and the weight will come off like melting butter. Good luck.
  • wrkout2bfit
    wrkout2bfit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I too have Hashimoto's, and I am 47. I was over 200 lbs, and got down to 122 in my 30's. With healthy eating, and working out, the fat just melted off. I've been on thyroid med for about 8 years. I have had soooo much difficulty keeping weight off, the last 2 years. I eat pretty healthy, and workout at least 5-6 days a week. I run, races, and do different forms of cardio, to try to mix things up. My weight has shifted to areas that I really didn't want to be any larger. I see some gentlemen commenting on this not being an age issue. I have spoken to my doctors, and they tell me, for Women around our age, it is more difficult for some. Even though I don't have a lot of weight to lose, my body fat is much higher than I want, and it is very difficult now for me. Women with these issues, you are not alone!
  • rogueriverbrat
    rogueriverbrat Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time losing I am on 1200 calories and I need to lose 60 pounds :( It help with the support of others on here. I am still on staying the course, good luck with your journey,
  • rachel8993
    Options
    46 tomorrow dont want to be fat at 50 , 2 grown children working night and it a struggle , im 3weeks in of my second try at MFP and lost 10lbs found downloaded runtastic perdomitor is going well for me going out for walks most days and it work with MFP .but i dont eat the calories i burn of i stick to the 1200 ive been given .add me if you need support cus we all need that good luck
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and I tend to lose weight slowly but steadily until I get down to those last 10 pounds or so. Then my body just gets super stubborn!

Good luck to all of us in our upper 40's trying to reaching our goals!
  • Alamaug
    Alamaug Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Look at what you did to put it on, and double up on undoing it.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am 52. 21 lbs down and stable for about 2 months now. I eat 1500 calories (give or take) and I mostly walk, kickbox DVD once a week and lift 10 lb dumbbells twice a week for 30 minutes. It is slower--took me a year to drop the 21 lbs but I refuse to eat less than 1500 calories and I refuse to stop drinking wine :drinker: :laugh: