is diet sode ok?

Options

Replies

• Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I was a constant Diet Coke drinker (10 to 12 per day), before my surgeon told me that I had to lose 70 pounds; or he wouldn't operate. The first voluntary choice for me was to evaluate my addiction to diet soda. I went cold turkey and never looked back. Best of all, I save a lot of money on groceries and don't fill oversized trash bags with empty cans for recycling.

I do feel better. I drink mostly water with a bit of diet cranberry juice or tea throughout the day.

Someone else will probably come on your post and tell you all the bad things in diet soda. I will just say that it is up to you.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My first major weight loss journey happened while I was drinking about 24 oz of diet pepsi per day, sometimes more. I lost 67 pounds at that time. Since then, I gained some back, but I am confident the diet soda had nothing to do with it.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This is a write up of the study that got me to finally quit soda, although I've been mightily addicted to it for years. Actually, decades. I'm actually happier without it, although it was tough quitting.

http://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-05-2012/soda-drinkers-have-higher-stroke-risk.html
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    does diet soda add calories obviously no.

It may increase appetite.

i drink a ton of them, personally.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Everyone has differing opinions on diet soda. I've gone off it for short bursts, but I eventually go back to it. I think what draws me to it are the sweetness and caffeine (withdrawing from the latter can bring headaches).
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've drank it through out my whole weight loss journey... I try not to drink more than one can a day, and I do this just because I want to make sure I am drinking more water than anything. Having a diet drink once and awhile is a nice change compared to water.

But again, as someone else said, it's up to you.
  • nursedonnaj
    nursedonnaj Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    no due to the Aspertame
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    In moderation, no problem.
  • monicaandhearts
    Options
    i would skip the soda. its just empty calories that dont fill you up. Unless its your cheat treat or something
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    I used to drink it, maybe 4 or 5 diet sodas a week, and after about six months I noticed every time I drank one, I'd get an awful headache. At this point, I can't even chew sugar free gum without getting an instant headache. There's just something about the alternative no calories sweeteners (sweet and low, equal, splenda, etc) that I don't react to well.

Turns out it's a family thing, and I have a nice mild reaction compared to my brother who vomits, or a sister for whom it triggers a multi-day migraine. I'd be careful with consuming too much aspartame, or other alternative sweeteners.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    Yes, it's okay. It depends on "how" you're eating and what your diet lifestyle is going to be like. If you want to eat "clean", with no chemicals at all, diet soda is not okay. If you want to eat less calories, then diet soda is okay. In the end, water is always better, but no matter what you do, it can't and work be perfect. So if transitioning from full soda to diet soda is a beginning baby step, it's okay.
  • emilypurplefrog
    emilypurplefrog Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to break my addiction to diet sodas and switch to tea. Less sugar and not as many harmful effects in the long run. I've been a regular diet soda drinker and I've never had it block my success in weight loss. It's really a personal preference, but stay away from regular sodas if you choose to stay away from any sodas.
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    No, my opinion - not ever... no one needs that.
  • katiedidit1
    katiedidit1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Too many nasty chemicals in it. I won't drink it unless I'm literally going to die of dehydration. I went cold turkey when I saw the scientific info on the artificial sweeter.

With that being said. That is just me and you need to make your own choices for what is going to get you through your day. It is smart to try and get info like you are. I would do some real digging if you want the real info. I apologize I don't have a link to share. My nutritionist gave me a print out about it when I asked.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Piper911
    Piper911 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is any better for you due to artificial sweeteners but I put a little bit of mio flavor into sodium free seltzer water. At least there is less sodium than diet soda! It really hits the spot when I'm craving something sweet and fizzy!
  • pwrpufgirlz
    pwrpufgirlz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I typically drink water throughout the entire day but I find when I add a diet soda (or pop as we call it here in MN :P) to my daily intake my water intake goes down considerably. For whatever reason drinking diet pop makes me not want to drink water for several hours. Hence for that reason I avoid it and supplement with some hot tea.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have just asked 3 doctors this question in the last 6 weeks. All three have assured me that I can drink 2 or 3 a day with no problem!

I was an abuser of Diet Coke! It WAS my water! And I could drink at least a 2 liter bottle a day!

Because of health issues now, I have cut back to one glass a day!

There are different things in diet coke and other sodas that effect different people in different ways!

Caffeine, acid, sweetener , etc. I love Diet Coke, but for me, only in moderation for now!
  • sheltonjohnt
    Options
    when I go cold turkey off thr diet I get horrible headaches.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey when I saw the scientific info on the artificial sweeter.

link plz?