Followed calories and worked out, gained weight

Options
13»

Replies

• carolynmckinney31
    Options
    How are you measuring your calorie expenditure from exercise? Our caloric burn varies a lot and the numbers are averages. The calories given here are way more than what my Garmin in conjunction with heart rate monitor are telling me I have burned. If I had used the numbers given on the site when I entered my exercise, I could have then easily gone over and thought I was under everyday. I used the lower numbers and will be pleasantly surprised if I lose faster because the site is righ.

And ditto on the water gain from sodium intake.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Also you wont "gain muscle" unless you are taking in a surplus of calories, which you won't be since you are trying to eat at a deficit to lose weight.

Wrong. I was eating 1400 calories and my BMR was 1960 and in December, I put on 1 pound of muscle and lost 13lbs of fat. My doctor weighed me with a scale that shows body composition, so it can happen.

I seriously doubt this is the case in the OP's situation since she didn't say how long she was working out.
  • living2lose2
    living2lose2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body thinks it’s starving. If you cut your calories way down your body will hold on to fat. Remember the calories on MFP are a recommendation, everyone’s body is different. I started my weight loss at 1,300 calories and found that I wasn’t losing the weight as fast as I wanted. I started searching for the answer and came across a web site with a calorie counter (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm). I increased my calories to for 1,300 to 1,900 and the weigh just started falling off. I recommend experimenting with your calorie intake. Go to the site I just mentioned, enter in your info and read the whole page. Good Luck
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    How on earth is it possible to build significant muscle mass after just one week of exercising?

OP: it took time to gain weight thus it takes time to lose. Be patient ...

newbie gains
    and yes. give i 4-6 weeks and see if it's evened out at all.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    You probably gained muscle. If you don't see the loss on the scale, you'll definitely see it in inches!

The first part is untrue....you CANNOT gain muscle that quickly. Seriously, it takes dedication and hard work to gain lean muscle without fat, it is not going to happen to someone who zumba's for fitness in a week (thats no slur on zumba, dancing is awesome).

The second part is good advice, measure, dont always take the scale at face value :)