Tattoos should one or not?

Options

Replies

• LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I got my one and only as a means to cover up a scar that always bugged me (that no one else probably even noticed). I could have gotten something smallish and cute, but I went big and bold. I like it and it does not show in most clothing.

I have a good sized tattoo on my forearm that covers some pretty gnarly burns I got in an accident - only I remember they're there, now, and to be honest I haven't thought about them for years until I read your post and remembered the reason behind the placement. :P Mission accomplished, I'd say!

Right on! I should add that it is placed on my left upper arm and is a Navy anchor I got on the 10th anniversary of my father's death.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    I got my one and only as a means to cover up a scar that always bugged me (that no one else probably even noticed). I could have gotten something smallish and cute, but I went big and bold. I like it and it does not show in most clothing.

I have a good sized tattoo on my forearm that covers some pretty gnarly burns I got in an accident - only I remember they're there, now, and to be honest I haven't thought about them for years until I read your post and remembered the reason behind the placement. :P Mission accomplished, I'd say!

Right on! I should add that it is placed on my left upper arm and is a Navy anchor I got on the 10th anniversary of my father's death.

Non sibi sed patriae. :smile:

My dad was a squid, too - nuclear engineering on the U.S.S. Enterprise, way back in the olden days (when the ships were made of wood and the men were made of iron :laugh:).
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Undecided. Help me to decide! I like the idea of covering up a scar. I have also had an idea of getting a small one on my foot, I hear they are painful though.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    Undecided. Help me to decide! I like the idea of covering up a scar. I have also had an idea of getting a small one on my foot, I hear they are painful though.

Foot is very painful unless you've got some cushion on top - anything placed where skin is close to bone is going to hurt more. If your scar is raised, it can be a problem, too - do your homework on the artist, for sure! (Sorry, don't mean to be bossy, I used to work in a shop and I like people to know what they're getting into).
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    i love em. i personally would want em but cant cause of a lot of reasons lol. and to ur question...

i cant afford a ferrari and i probably never could and if i could i would not get one so thats a pointless question to ask haha
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Bumper sticker? No. Custom paint job? Yes. It's all about perspective!
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Why would you put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari?

My mom said this to me when I got mine. I know she doesn't like it, so when I'm around the family I do my best to keep it covered up. (On my back, so not hard.)

But here is the way I see it...

Why would you leave a canvas blank?
  • ChristinaK69
    Options
    I love tattoos...but there can be some really ugly ones out there and on some people I just have to ask, is that what you really want to have when you are 80? Choose wisely.

I have 4 tattoos and they all have meaning for ME! Very rarely can you see them, only when I have a bathing suit on. I plan on getting more, but those also will be to where they won't be visible much.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm middle aged, I have a tattoo and I like it. I got it when I was in my 20's, and have never regretted it once. Do what works for you. It is kind of nice to have something I got in my 20's that hasn't changed over the years (unlike the rest of my body).
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    The tattoos I have represent something to me and I have not regretted a single one of them. I think they're more a self expression now-a-days instead of rebellion. They show character and can even visually define who you are. Plus, it's a great conversation starter at the very least..
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I like this!
  • smarston2010
    Options
    A lot of people I see, mostly young, have no idea of the meaning of what they have on them. After working in tattoo shops and knowing the history behind them, I have earned my ink. If your thing to get something, research it first.
  • runningfataway
    Options
    I currently have two and I'm planning on getting more. I don't see it as a sin, nor does it make a person "bad". Some people hang their art, I choose to wear mine. :)
  • runningfataway
    Options

Foot is painful but the pain doesn't last that long. Arm is easy breazy, just saying.
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I think laser tatoo removal would be a good business plan to get into because so many people are getting ink now because it's trendy and cool, and not putting a lot of thought into the meaning behind them, and 10 years from now when they are "out of vogue" those same people are gonna want them removed.

People have been getting tattoos for thousands of years. Why do you think they'll want to stop in the next 10? O_o

i was going to say the exact same thing. does this person think tattoos are a new concept?
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options

win!
  • abelthephotographer
    Options
    Tattoos are not for everyone. They are not necessary for everyone. No they are not placed on your body in the interest of being cool. And if that why you did it, i feel sorry for you. I have 3, It is my way of constantly carrying around that which is important to me. To remind me to be the good man I need to be, to remember the guy that I hope that I can be, and to always remember the angels that protect and watch over me. As I go through life I will obtain more because other thing will become important and I never want to lose sight of them. But Some people are not build that way and some people dont need that reminder. I'm not trying to start a fight but, Its pretty arrogant to classify yourself as a ferarri, or something i deem as important as my tattoos as bumper stickers. At best I'm chevy pick up and My tat is the roll bar, side rails and bed liner.

Decent Topic

I'm with you. Mine are reminders of who I am. One in particular is a source of comfort, almost, a reality check when life gets hard. With this in mind, they are placed where I can easily see them rather than my back, etc.

I think if anyone was planning on getting one, be it their first or subsequent ones, I'd advise them to settle on a design ... and then wait a year. A full year. If at the end of that reflective period you still believe the tat's for you, then you're far less likely to regret it in the future ... :)
  • stina412
    Options

My foot is done all the way across the top and outside. The very top was worse than the side of my foot, but not unbearable. I do have a lot of tattoos though...
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. Mine are reminders of who I am. One in particular is a source of comfort, almost, a reality check when life gets hard. With this in mind, they are placed where I can easily see them rather than my back, etc.

I think if anyone was planning on getting one, be it their first or subsequent ones, I'd advise them to settle on a design ... and then wait a year. A full year. If at the end of that reflective period you still believe the tat's for you, then you're far less likely to regret it in the future ... :)

So agree on your second sentiment here. A good tip I've heard is to print it out and put it on your mirror, or in a place you can see every day. If you aren't sick of it after the year, go for it.

I waited 6 years for mine, and when I finally got it, all I felt was peace. It had been a part of me so long that it finally felt wrong to NOT have it done. :)
  • abelthephotographer
    Options

I waited 6 years for mine, and when I finally got it, all I felt was peace. It had been a part of me so long that it finally felt wrong to NOT have it done. :)

That's exactly what happened with my second one :)