Milk?

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Anecdote alert!

I have a small frame (ring size 3.75). I have NEVER liked milk, so my calcium intake was probably under the MDR for years. In my twenties and thirties, I had a bad Diet Coke addiction--like 6-8 cans a day (I still have (1-2 a day). I was the poster child for the woman who gets osteoporosis.

I had a bone density scan in my 40's and guess what? My bone density was in the 75th percentile--my bones were more dense than 3/4 of women.

There have been a couple of studies showing that physical activity is more important than calcium intake for maintaining bone density (especially weight bearing exercise), and that the MDR of calcium may be artificially high due to the low bioavailabilty of calcium in dairy (meaning that it's hard for your body to extract the calcium for use)--your body may actually be able to get more calcium from broccoli than a glass of milk.

So you're not doomed to osteoporosis if you don't do dairy as long as you eat lots of fruits and vegetables and exercise.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    i haaaate milk, but i do include skim milk in coffee etc. i would never ever be able to stomach whole milk, whether raw or pasteurised, and im losing....

I totally detest milk too. hate the stuff. Haven't had a glass of regular milk since I was 10yrs old and i am 55 now. What I just discovered was Almond Milk (I lack calcium and Vitamin D and wanted to find some kind of dairy that would help these area's) I saw lots of my friends on MFP using Almond milk flavored with vanilla. So I bought a carton of it.. and guess what I like it. It is packed (better than regular milk) with all kinds of calcium and vitamin D as well as other good stuff. I bought the unsweetened soy / lactose free kind (which I hear all Almond milk is lactose free) It is made from almonds and not from animal. so there is no fat etc in it. I liked it so much I bought a few more cartons of it (was on sale and exp. date is end of March). You may want to try this too. I know I was so glad to finally find something to put in place of Milk. (which I totally can not stand)

" It is made from almonds and not from animal. so there is no fat etc in it. " - Pull from above for emphasis.

Wah wah wah????? Um nuts, and in particular Almonds do contain fat. In fact they're a great source of many fatty acids. Indeed every brand of Almond Milk I'm aware of has fat in it and it's usually pretty comparable to what's in traditional cow's milk (depending on what type you get - 1%, 2%, skim or whole). Most Almond milk on the market is somewhere in the ballpark of 2-3g of fat per serving (about the same as a cup of 1%).
  • Annaduurai
    Annaduurai Posts: 56 Member
    i haaaate milk, but i do include skim milk in coffee etc. i would never ever be able to stomach whole milk, whether raw or pasteurised, and im losing....

I totally detest milk too. hate the stuff. Haven't had a glass of regular milk since I was 10yrs old and i am 55 now. What I just discovered was Almond Milk (I lack calcium and Vitamin D and wanted to find some kind of dairy that would help these area's) I saw lots of my friends on MFP using Almond milk flavored with vanilla. So I bought a carton of it.. and guess what I like it. It is packed (better than regular milk) with all kinds of calcium and vitamin D as well as other good stuff. I bought the unsweetened soy / lactose free kind (which I hear all Almond milk is lactose free) It is made from almonds and not from animal. so there is no fat etc in it. I liked it so much I bought a few more cartons of it (was on sale and exp. date is end of March). You may want to try this too. I know I was so glad to finally find something to put in place of Milk. (which I totally can not stand)

" It is made from almonds and not from animal. so there is no fat etc in it. " - Pull from above for emphasis.

Wah wah wah????? Um nuts, and in particular Almonds do contain fat. In fact they're a great source of many fatty acids. Indeed every brand of Almond Milk I'm aware of has fat in it and it's usually pretty comparable to what's in traditional cow's milk (depending on what type you get - 1%, 2%, skim or whole). Most Almond milk on the market is somewhere in the ballpark of 2-3g of fat per serving (about the same as a cup of 1%).

I also use almond milk. Mostly because Milk has 12g of carbs per serving and Almond milk has 1 and 1 fiber as well. Net carbs are 0. It also has less calories so I can have it and it doesn't use a bunch of my caloric allowance for the day. I want to point out all fat is not equal, the fat in almond milk is good fat, while the fat in milk is not.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member

I also use almond milk. Mostly because Milk has 12g of carbs per serving and Almond milk has 1 and 1 fiber as well. Net carbs are 0. It also has less calories so I can have it and it doesn't use a bunch of my caloric allowance for the day. I want to point out all fat is not equal, the fat in almond milk is good fat, while the fat in milk is not.
    '

I'm sorry, but why is milk fat "bad fat"? From the Journal of Nutrition: "Recent research shows that milk fat contains a number of potential anticarcinogenic components including conjugated linoleic acid, sphingomyelin, butyric acid and ether lipids. Conjugated linoleic acid inhibited proliferation of human malignant melanoma, colorectal, breast and lung cancer cell lines." ... I'll gladly take that "bad fat" thank you :).
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Seriously, what is the deal with all these milk threads suddenly popping up?

If you don't like it don't drink it.
  • mrjtc
    mrjtc Posts: 7 Member
    The question "Is it good for you?" is pretty general. A truthful "general" answer is no. Although dairy products do have good nutrients, recent studies are beginning to find a correlation between consumption of dairy and increased risks of certain cancers.

Also, don't listen to the claims that you should drink raw milk. You're taking a huge risk for food poisoning if you drink non-pasteurized milk.

Here is a link to a google search if you want some more information about milk and cancer:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=milk cancer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I wouldn't recommend making dairy a strict part of your diet but don't worry about becoming strictly vegan either.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    The question "Is it good for you?" is pretty general. A truthful "general" answer is no. Although dairy products do have good nutrients, recent studies are beginning to find a correlation between consumption of dairy and increased risks of certain cancers.

Also, don't listen to the claims that you should drink raw milk. You're taking a huge risk for food poisoning if you drink non-pasteurized milk.

Here is a link to a google search if you want some more information about milk and cancer:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=milk cancer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I wouldn't recommend making dairy a strict part of your diet but don't worry about becoming strictly vegan either.

Could you reference these "studies" please?
  • mrjtc
    No, I can't. If you're really interested then you can do your own research.
  • MoreBean13

Sounds legit.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member

you know, i'm gonna look into this. I do buy trim milk to put in coffee etc but i'm constantly throwing out unused portions. i'm sure you can get it somewhere in my wee country!

*edited to add a big THANKS xx
  • mrjtc

Sounds legit.

This is a forum, not a peer reviewed journal. I didn't go researching for the OP, I merely answered the question from my own set of knowledge. I don't remember where I learned about it from. If you don't believe me, that's fine. If you are really interested, do the research yourself.

If you're not interested why did you even ask me for the sources?
  • MoreBean13

Sounds legit.

This is a forum, not a peer reviewed journal. I didn't go researching for the OP, I merely answered the question from my own set of knowledge. I don't remember where I learned about it from. If you don't believe me, that's fine. If you are really interested, do the research yourself.

I'm totally interested if actual, legitimate studies show that dairy consumption has some cancer link, but to my knowledge no such STUDIES actually exist. Just a lot of fake-sciency stuff published by anti-milk activists. You're being hoodwinked by vague references that imply the studies have been done.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Here, let me help. Here you can find actual peer reviewed sources (not just some random google search). You'll notice that some studies point to how milk helps prevent cancer and there are some that postulate a link between milk and certain cancers. The funny thing is if you actually read the articles, very few found any correlation between the two and the couple that did determined the causes were actually underlying physiological conditions rather than directly tied to milk. Definitely nothing resounding in either direction to suggest that milk causes or helps prevent cancer.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=milk+cancer+link&btnG=&as_sdt=1,50&as_sdtp=
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I drink milk as I believe it is good for me and is very easy for my macros.

Here are some good studies and article to consider:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/milk-the-new-sports-drink-a-review-research-review.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22049177

"Hypoenergetic diets higher in dairy foods, dietary calcium, and protein with daily exercise, favorably affected important bone health biomarkers vs. diets with less of these bone-supporting nutrients."

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-012-0418-1

"The observational evidence does not support the hypothesis that dairy fat or high-fat dairy foods contribute to obesity or cardiometabolic risk, and suggests that high-fat dairy consumption within typical dietary patterns is inversely associated with obesity risk."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23075559

"Overall, RE and milk/dairy consumption positively impact body composition in women by promoting losses in fat, gains or maintenance of lean mass and preservation of bone. Future studies in female athletes and under energy restriction with RE alone are warranted."
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Sounds legit.

I'm totally interested if actual, legitimate studies show that dairy consumption has some cancer link, but to my knowledge no such STUDIES actually exist. Just a lot of fake-sciency stuff published by anti-milk activists. You're being hoodwinked by vague references that imply the studies have been done.

They cannot show it because correlation =/= causation. The only one I have seen that *may* show an increased risk is for prostate cancer, and that is in no way conclusive. However, as with all food, dosage and context in an overall diet needs to be considered and weighed with the benefits.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    You guys got it all wrong.

Milk gives you cancer, but ice cream cures it. So you will be fine if you consume more icecream than milk. Hope that helps.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Of course I drink milk. I always have and always will. The anti-milk "studies" usually come down to pseudoscience used to back up PETA, environmental groups or other social/political groups, and have nothing to do with nutrition.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    I fully support the milk drinking. Since joining this site I've been full of calcium for once. If you look up studies and the scientifically found benefits of milk (like how bio-available it is), I think it's an excellent choice.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I include milk and dairy because I heard it's as good as steroids.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member

Why exactly are you incapable of doing so? I went to google scholar but didn't find anything?