Being overweight is good? Wait, what?

Options
1235»

Replies

• LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Studies are based on statistics and statistics do not give the whole picture. I never met so many people swayed by "studies" til i joined this site.

From the perspective of being 125lbs overweight and now under 65lbs overweight, my quality of life has improved. I dont know why anyone would choose o be over weight other than plain laziness.

I guess if you want to shorten your life, be at risk to all kinds of disorders / diseases and not be socially accepted THEN STAY FAT.

I rarely post in these forums but this topic really pisses me off.

A medical study does not mean its true or false. Its observations. Thats it.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yea a little weight is healthy. If you've ever seen an elderly person in their decline when they're super skinny, you realize a little weight does look healthy on a person.

However, at the other extreme, I know someone who is morbidly obese and calls herself "fluffy" not "fat" and "curvaceous" and says things like "I am not a before picture!" I always think, "really? just wow, validating your bad habits much?" This person is actually asking all her similarly "fluffy" friends to join her in organizing a parade holding signs and such to promote people accept fat persons as normal pretty much. :laugh: It pretty much just cracks me up at this point to watch her posts, knowing I'd better not say anything or I'll be one of those people who's a meanie lol.

This is a woman who strained the power of my newish Toyota, it's a small car but geeze she made the suspension creak in a way that alarmed me.

Forgive me but I've had no one else to vent to about this who would get it. I'm all for accepting people of all sizes but do get annoyed and people who pretend there's a fantasy world where obesity is perfectly healthy and just how they are or something. Very very rarely is it truly some medical problem that can't be overcome.. most people it's just poor lifestyle choices.
  • jesszika
    Options
    I don't call people fat - it's rude. Don't care what I'm trying to do with MY body, it's rude to negatively comment on someone else's. Don't give a rat's *kitten* if someone says they feel prettier if they are overweight or that they prefer overweight partners. Their body, their preferences - ain't none of my business.

This is exactly how I feel.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This is why I engage very little in the forums here and mostly use MFP for the tools. The rampant body shaming is just so disheartening.

The only body you need to worry about is yours. You have no right to an opinion about anyone else's. No, not even if you're just ~worried about their health, because let me tell you, you're really not. You're making a judgement about someone based on what you can see and what you have been taught is bad and unhealthy. I would suggest that you read up on healthism and medicalization, but I know that in general, the MFP forums are not big on progressive thought.

Being fat is not bad or good. A person's size and shape have absolutely no bearing on their morality. Obesity is not a problem for you to fight for others. It is not a virus to be eradicated. If you're worried about it for yourself, deal with it for yourself and then let it be. You don't need to worry that fat people are being coddled. Believe me, we really, really aren't. By all means, do not coddle fatties about their weight. But also, by all means, shut the **** up about it, period. It's not your business. Go live your own life. If someone only wants to date fat people, that is fine. If someone thinks their size 22 is divine, that is fine. If someone asks that you not call them fat, THAT IS MORE THAN FINE. That is a request for human decency. Accomodate it.

I understand about not making folks feel bad about themselves. But there was a time when society was not very accepting of overweight-ness. I often wonder whether that societal pressure kept weights lower. Now that we are so accepting, obesity is at an all time high and getting worse. While I agree that it is a difficult thing to tell someone they are overweight (cause they know it), I know that it would have been good for someone (like my wife) to say to me "Hey sweetie, I've noticed you're getting a little heavy. You should do something about that." The fact is, being overweight is not healthy. That is why we are all on here beating our brains out to lose the weight, learn healthy eating habits and exercise habits.

There is a cost to society that comes from obesity. Healthcare costs are higher, disease and lost work time is higher. And have you ever had to sit next to someone that was extra large on public transit? I recently went to the doctor and they now have chairs that are as wide as a loveseat for the extra large patients.

Bottom line--we live in a society where people are eating themselves to death. And there is something wrong with that.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I never liked BMI. It doesn't factor in all the other factors about someone's body such as bone density. I have a more muscular built body type, and I am not fat to say the slightest, but according to BMI, I am. Someone with a smaller bone density would perhaps fall under their category for BMI. I think maybe that is what the radio station meant? That being a little overweight according to BMI's standard is not necessarily bad? I guess I would need to read the article lol, but these are just my thoughts.

I used to feel the same way about BMI (not a good indicator, can't apply to everyone, I am too muscular, etc) until I lost enough weight to get to a healthy BMI. I am at 25--the top end of healthy, but still healthy. And I look healthy. For what it's worth--BMI does apply to you too.