Requesting all your healthy soup recipes!

Options

Replies

• Ellienana
    Ellienana Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Ellienana
    Ellienana Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I make a curried lentil and carrot soup. peel and slice carrots, simmer with lentils can use stock or water. Add in red curry powder to taste. Very good combination.
  • katie_fitzy
    katie_fitzy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    bump for later.. some really sound good!!!
  • horses7777
    Options
    bumping for sure!
  • JaneInKansas
    JaneInKansas Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    BUMPING FOR IDEAS!
  • adjel
    adjel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bumping for Ideas
  • imncontrolofme
    imncontrolofme Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • redsundress
    Options
    bump
  • godsrose
    godsrose Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dawn1801
    dawn1801 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm a frugal shopper and cook. I hate to waste anything, and recalled once that I read about a blogger's idea for saving potato peels and making them into soup. So, when I would use peeled potatoes, I would scrub the potatoes and save the peelings into a container that I stored in my freezer until it was full. I had 3 cups worth of peels last night, so I made potato peel soup. I copied and pasted from the website that gave me ideas for my ingredients. I'm going to add that next, then the list of ingredients that I used, as well as the nutrition information. The soup was quite good and made ten 2 cup servings, each of which was only 125 calories. It is a lot of soup, so you can cut the recipe in half if you have a smaller household. I'm feeding 7 teens and adults right now, so I had to make a cauldron of it.

"Save the peels from washed potatoes and simmer them in the Chicken Stock along with the chopped carrots, onions and celery. Simmer until all is tender, about 30 minutes. Add fresh herbs and spices to your liking. Add some milk or half-and-half, then salt and pepper to taste. This is really a very good soup, especially if you add fresh dill and parsley. This recipe serves 8."

Here are my ingredients:

3 cups of potato peels
    2 cups sliced fresh carrots
    2 cups chopped celery
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    3 cups of cooked rice (I had this leftover, so added it)
    6 tsp Better than Bouillon chicken soup base
    12 cups water
    parsley, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper to taste, or your preferred herbs

Add all ingredients except rice to pot, bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, then add rice and stir to heat through. Serve with bread.

I did not add any milk to my recipe. You can add milk or cream to yours, depending on your tastes and nutrition needs. This should fit into a large crock pot if the recipe is cut in half, and can cook on low all day.

Nutrition per 2 cup serving:

calories: 125
    protein: 3
    fat: 0
    calcium: 6
    sodium: 461 (not counting any further added salt, aside from the better than bouillon chicken base)
    fiber: 2
  • mamaof3grlz
    Options
    bump
  • pinky_pinkster
    pinky_pinkster Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I make easy healthy soups - easy because you dont need to measure anything:

Here's one example:
    2 sweet potato's
    can of kidney beans
    can of broad beans
    1 leek
    5 tomato's
    lentils (how ever many you want or 1 to 2 cupfuls) - use the ones that dont need soaking
    2 onions
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 bell pepper (any colour)
    a few chili flakes or if you like hot food put a half cayenne pepper in - I found this much too hot though
    vegetable stock ( make up a small jug)

Directions:
    1) peel and chop sweet potato - put these in a pot of boiling water until they are soft
    2) peel and cop onions and crush garlic - fry these in a pan
    3) chop up tomatos and chilli's - add these to the frying pan
    4) chop up leek + pepper into small pieces - add these to the frying pan
    5) put all the ingredients that are in the frying pan into a blender of mixer or food processor or use a stick blender, add the sweet potato's then blend together
    6) put everything into a saucepan
    7) add the beans + lentils
    8) add the vegetable stock - a little bit if you like thick soup OR put lots in if you like runnier soup
    9) add the lentils
    10) stir and put the lid on the saucepan and cook until the lentils are soft (about 20 minutes)

Any other vegetables can be added at step 7 as long as they are cooked - the sweet potato gives a lot of vitamin A and the beans and lentils are a good source of protein. I have also added quorn chicken which tastes really good but needs to be put in right at the end as it falls apart if cooked too long.
  • JenniferEM2012
    JenniferEM2012 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    These all look good. I have also been looking for some recipes.
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have a family size crock pot which i love and im on the hunt for some soup ideas, give me whatever ya got, the colder weathers coming, i need to get prepared!

Oooh oooh! (hand raised and waving)

Soo love this one....almost always have it in the freezer for standby go-to lunch - it is a weight watchers with my variations:

Chicken Enchilada Soup

Ingredients

1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    10 oz frozen corn kernels
    2 leaf bay leaf
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1 tbsp ground cumin
    6 cup fat-free chicken broth (can use more of this to “bulk up” Liquid)
    2 clove garlic cloves (minced)
    ½ Red Bell Pepper – chopped
    ½ Yellow Bell Pepper - chopped
    ½ Orange Bell Pepper -chopped
    ½ Green Bell Pepper - chopped
    1 medium chopped onion - chopped
    10 oz canned enchilada sauce
    2 -10 oz canned diced tomatoes with green chiles
    6 oz can tomato paste
    3 breast uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast (~24 oz)

Instructions
    1. Place all ingredients into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low setting for 4-5 hours. Shred Chicken when done.
  • MagnaSky
    MagnaSky Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Italian Sausage Soup. Filling and Delish!!!

8 ounces hot or sweet turkey Italian sausage, 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, 1 (14.5-ounce) can seasoned diced tomato, 1/2 cup chopped onion and carrot, 1 clove garlic, 1/2 cup uncooked small shell pasta (I use tortellini) 2 cups Kale or escarole 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan, and cook about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain; add onion, carrots and garlic to the pan and suatee until soft. return sausage to pan.
    Add broth, tomatoes and kale to pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10-15. Add pasta and continue to simmer until pasta is done. Serve with grated cheese and fresh basil.
  • maritzarazo
    Options
    I just made meatloaf last night in my crockpot. Use ground turkey and followed the instructions on the seasoning packet. And, since my hubby n I love spicy food, I added chopped up serrano chiles to half of it. Leaving the other half chile free for our kids.