Requesting all your healthy soup recipes!

Options
jbond80
jbond80 Posts: 356 Member
I have a family size crock pot which i love and im on the hunt for some soup ideas, give me whatever ya got, the colder weathers coming, i need to get prepared!

Replies

• Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bumping this in hopes of seeing some good responses:)
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Wow, It would take me quite a long time to do that. What are your likes and dislikes? Lately I've been really hitting up the red lentils and coconut milk with curries. Not sure if it's the cold weather or not. :smile:

Add as a friend if you like and I'll bounce them to you daily.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Here's one my husband makes. Based on the Sacred Heart Soup diet...but it's VERY tasty, makes a ton, and very low in calories! You can add/subtract any veggies you want..

Sacred Heart Beef Vegetable
    Soup (Slightly Modified)

Ingredients:

• 1 Box of beef Swanson Stock
    • 3 Tablespoon Beef soup base (Heaped)
    • 1 Packet KNORR Veggie soup/Dip packet (4 cups Water as per its instructions)
    • 1Lb chopped carrots
    • 2 Medium (1 Large) Onion Chopped
    • 2 Cups of Celery Chopped
    • 8 oz slice mushroom
    • 2 cans Stewed Tomatoes or Diced
    • Bag of Frozen Green Beans 8 oz.

PREPERATION:

In a 6 qt. slow cooker, pour the beef stock, add the beef base and KNORR veggie soup packet + the 4 cups of water. Stir to dissolve the beef base and soup packet.

Start heating on high as soon as you add the liquid into the slow cooker.

Add the carrots, celery and onions and cook for 4 hours on high.

After 4 hours, add the slice mushrooms, tomatoes and the green beans. Lower the temperature to warm and let cook for another 4 hours minimum. (We cook it over night in low)

Check the broth for flavor. Adjust to taste

This is where you can add a pinch of salt, teaspoon of pepper and a teaspoon of Granulated garlic. These are at the sole discretion of the of the soup artist.

Feel free to add any other veggies you desire.

FYI: A couple of dashes TABASCO in the individual bowl taste great!

Edited to add nutritional info (we figured this makes about 24 cups of soup). For a 1 cup serving:

Calories: 35

Carbs: 7

Fat: 0

Protein: 2

Sodium: 338
  • Texa884041
    Texa884041 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There is one that I found on the internet last week that is called 5 Can Soup. I have a large Crockpot also that I use for this, usually double the recipe. What is nice is that it makes a lot, plus very low calorie per serving. I tried it on Tuesday and still eating leftovers. Let me know what you think if you try it out. Recipe below:
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Diced Tomatoes
    1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn
    1 (15 ounce) can minestrone soup (ready to serve) - I get the Campbell’s Select Light...less calories
    1 (15 ounce) can mixed vegetables
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed

Mix all ingredients in a pot and warm.

When I added all the cans together it came to be 1080 calories for the whole pot. I split it into 4 servings, which was more than enough, total calories per serving is 270. Hope this helps!
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have a family size crock pot which i love and im on the hunt for some soup ideas, give me whatever ya got, the colder weathers coming, i need to get prepared!

my 12 year old made this for us the other day... I have a broken foot and trying to get kids to help out :) I talked him through it

I guess I am saying that the recipe is mine... but it was easy enough that a 12 year old could cook it...

Bird's Eye - Oriental Stir-Fry Vegetables W Sauce Pouches,
    Safeway - Flake Style Crab Flavored Seafood, 1 container (2 1/2 cups ea.)
    Apple Fruit - Red Delicious Apple, 1 apple
    Onions - Raw, 2 cup, chopped
    Swanson's Cooking Stock 33% Less Sodium, Chicken - Chicken Broth, 4 container (4 cups ea.)

Total: 1724 Per Serving: 431 (4 GIANT SERVINGS)

chopped onions... used 1/2 red 1/2 white... sauteed... (in butter... but only used like 3T and forgot to include it in ingredients...) when done added chopped crab meat... sauteed a bit... then added the apple... peeled and chopped... let it all simmer and settle... then added frozen veggies and stock... the sauce pouch from the veggies was enough seasoning for me... the kids wanted a little salt added to theirs... but they like adding a dash of salt to everything... I never add...

also... I should add... I use my crock for so much more than soup... we RARELY eat soup... but in the winter I can use my crock 3-4 times a week :)
  • rabbit1951
    rabbit1951 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This recipe is very popular in our house:

Crockpot Beefy Cabbage Soup

1/2 head of cabbage, chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 large carrot, thinly sliced
    3 to 4 T. rice
    2 ribs celery, sliced in 1/2 in. pieces
    1 t. garlic powder
    3 c. beef broth (I use low sodium)
    1 or 2 meaty soup bones or beef shanks (about 1 lb.)
    1 can (14-1/2 oz. ) diced tomatoes
    coarsely ground pepper

Combine all ingredients in crockpot. Cover and cook for 8-10 hours on low. Taste for seasoning before serving.

(From About.com Southern Food)
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    To start with: These are all recipies that I have got from MFPers. I have saved them and are sharing again. I have made some and so far, they are all hits. I get no credit for these - again, I have gotten them over the last year from this site:

Greek style lemon chicken rice soup
    12 cups no salt added chicken broth (campbell's)
    6 skinless Chicken drumsticks frozen (it was what I had available. Can use 3 whole chicken breasts too)
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1 cup rice (uncooked) (any rice will do. I used jasmine rice)
    10 cloves garlic
    1/4 cup Corn flour or any other flour (for thickening)
    a handful of fresh dill for seasoning
    sprig of rosemary for seasoning
    salt pepper

Add the broth, chicken, lemon juice, garlic, dill,salt and rosemary to the crockpot. Leave on high for 3 hours (after about an hour, remove and discard the rosemary to avoid over seasoning). After 3 hours, if you use drumsticks like I did, take the chicken out and separate bone from meat, shred the meat with a fork and throw it back into the crockpot. Add the rice. Leave it on high for 35 minutes and switch it off. Even if the rice is slightly undercooked, its alright. It will cook because the crockpot contents are still very hot. Make a smooth and slightly watery paste with the corn flour and add to the crockpot while constantly stirring. Sprinkle some pepper and adjust salt if needed.
    Makes about 13 servings of 1 cup each
    1 cup = 118 calories

Beef stew

1 lb. stew meat
    2 potatoes
    4 carrots
    1 onion
    1 lg can diced tomatoes
    salt, pepper, garlic

layer the ingredients and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.

Baked Potato Soup

The Ingredients.

--5 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced in 1 to 2-inch chunks
    --1 teeny onion, diced
    --4 cloves garlic, minced
    --1 teaspoon seasoned salt
    --1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    --1/2 teaspoon red pepper
    --2 quarts chicken broth
    --2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, to add at the end
    --crumbled bacon and green onion or chives as garnish (optional)

The Directions.

Use a 6 quart or larger slow cooker. Peel and dice the potatoes, and put them into the stoneware. Add onion and garlic. Sprinkle in the seasonings, and pour in the broth. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4. The potatoes should be fork-tender. You can use a potato masher to mash the potatoes in the soup, or a hand-held immersible blender. I suppose you can also leave the potatoes in chunks, if you really wanted, but I wanted a smooth soup.

After smashing the potatoes, crumble in both packages of cream cheese, and put the lid back on. Cook on high for about 30 minutes, or until the cream cheese is completely dissolved. Stir a few times during the 30 minutes.

Garnish with crumbled bacon, green onion or chives, and I'd assume cheddar cheese would be just delightful.

Buffalo Wing Soup
    The Ingredients.
    --2 cups cooked and cubed chicken
    --1/2 yellow onion, chopped
    --3 stalks celery, chopped
    --1/4 cup unsalted butter
    --1/4 cup flour (I used rice flour)
    --2 cups fat free milk (no higher content than 2%, or it will curdle)
    --3/4 cup chicken broth
    --4 oz Velveeta
    --1/2 cup hot wing sauce
    --1/2 tsp celery salt
    --1/2 tsp garlic salt

The Directions.

A 4 to 6 quart crockpot will work well for this soup.

Make a roux with the flour and butter. I usually use the stove top, but tried the microwave yesterday---it worked great. In a bowl, melt the butter on high for 45 seconds, then whisk in the flour. Set aside.

Chop up the onion and celery, and dump it into your crockpot. Add the cooked and cubed chicken. Pour in the chicken broth and milk. Add Velveeta. Add the salt (note: this is saltier than I am used to. If you are on a lower sodium diet, omit the salt all together. The cheese and the broth are pretty salty on their own. You can always season to taste after cooking.)

Stir in the flour and butter mixture. Add hot sauce.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4. The soup is done when the celery and onion reach desired tenderness and the flavors have melded.

Tomato Soup
    The Ingredients.

--3 lbs of vine-ripened tomatoes
    --1 med onion, chopped
    --2 cups tomato juice
    --1 cup cooking sherry
    --3 T granulated white sugar
    --1 gluten-free chicken boullion cube
    --2 T chopped fresh basil

to add later:
    --2 cups heavy cream
    --salt and pepper to taste

optional:
    sour cream and/or Parmesan cheese for garnish

The Directions.
    Use a 5-6 quart crockpot for this soup.

Wash all of your tomatoes, and cut them in quarters. Nope, we're not going to peel the tomatoes, yay! To save your counter top from tomato gook, put your cutting board on a cookie sheet with sides. The juice will then stay inside the cookie sheet.

Put all the tomatoes in your crockpot.

Chop up the onion, and add it. Cover with the tomato juice and sherry, and drop in the boullion cube. Stir in the sugar and chopped basil.
    Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

If you'd like your soup to have chunks, go ahead and stir in the cream. If you'd prefer a chunk-free soup, CAREFULLY use an immersible blender to soupify, or blend in small batches in a traditional blender. Then stir in the heavy cream.

Chicken Tortilla Soup
    The Ingredients:

--3 cups of chicken broth (homemade or packaged)
    --1 1/2 cups cooked chicken (I had leftover chicken in the freezer)
    --1/2 onion
    --1 cup frozen roasted corn
    --2 green onions
    --28 oz can of tomatoes and juice
    --1 cup chopped up vegetables that you have on hand (celery and carrots in my case, plus I had the end of the roasted vegetables I froze)
    --4 cloves of garlic ( I am STILL out of fresh garlic)
    --1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
    --1/2 t cayenne pepper
    --1 t cumin
    --salt to taste (especially if using a no-salt broth like I was)

optional garnish:

--tortilla chips
    --parmesan cheese
    --sour cream

The Directions:

--dice all veggies into fine chunks
    --dump everything into the crockpot

--it's okay if you have frozen stuff. My broth, vegetables and chicken were all frozen.

--totally okay to assemble the night before.

--cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 6 or so.

before serving, add whatever garnish you choose. We were out of tortilla chips, so I used a bit of parmesan and fat free sour cream.

Turkey Stew
    The Ingredients.
    serves 8

There are two parts, here. The first part is to make broth with your leftover turkey carcass. If you don't have a carcass on hand, and would still like to make this soup, jump to the next step and use 8 cups of chicken broth and 2-3 cups chopped turkey.

for broth:
    use a 6 quart slow cooker.

turkey carcass, or rib cage bone-sets from 2 turkey breasts
    9 cups of water
    2 tablespoons granulated chicken bouillon (read label carefully for msg and gluten, I used the Herb Ox brand)
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (this takes the meat flavor out of the bones, and creates a beautiful color and flavor)
    1 large onion, finely diced OR 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes

cook on low overnight, or for about 8 hours. Unplug, and remove stoneware from cooking element. Uncover and let cool. When cool enough to "go fishing," remove all bones from broth, leaving meat inside the pot.

note: if your slow cooker releases a bunch of steam and condensation while cooking, put a layer of foil or parchment paper down over the top, then put the lid on so you don't lose your cooking liquid.

for stew, add the following:

2 cups peeled and diced sweet potato
    1 (28-ounce) can diced or stewed Italian style tomatoes
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon coriander
    1 tablespoon chile powder
    1 (15-ounce) can corn, and juice
    4 cloves chopped garlic OR 1 teaspoon dried garlic powder

The Directions.

Combine all ingredients in a 6 quart slow cooker and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or until sweet potatoes have reached desired tenderness and flavors have melded.

Crab and Corn Soup
    The Ingredients.
    serves 6

1 quart chicken broth (4 cups!)
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 cup finely chopped onion, or 1 tablespoon dried minced onion flakes
    1 (32-ounce) package of frozen corn
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 (6-ounce) can lump crabmeat, drained and picked through (don't use Krab. it's not gluten free, and it's weird)
    1 cup half and half or heavy cream (to add later)
    1 avocado, sliced (to add later)

The Directions.

Use a 4-quart slow cooker. Pour the broth into your crockpot, and add butter and onion. Stir in frozen corn, garlic, butter, cayenne, and the crabmeat (make sure you pick through canned crab---shells often occur!) Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, high for 4 hours, or until the onion is cooked through and translucent. If you'd like a thicker broth, pulse a few times with an immersible blender, or scoop out a cup or so and blend in a traditional stand blender, then stir it back in (carefully!).
    Add half and half or cream. Stir well, and ladle into bowls or bread bowls, and garnish with avocado slices.
    Chicken and Dumplings Soup
    The Ingredients.
    --3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken (I used frozen thighs)
    --1 yellow onion, chopped
    --1 cup mushrooms, chopped (I used baby portabellas)
    --16 ounces frozen vegetables

--2 cans cream-of-something soup, or combine in a saucepan:
    4 T butter
    6 T flour (I used Pamela's baking mix)
    1 cup milk (I used soy)
    1 cup chicken broth
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp poultry seasoning
    --1 can refrigerated biscuits, or one batch drop biscuits (I used Pamela's Baking Mix, and used the drop-biscuit recipe listed on the back of the bag)

The Directions.

I used a 6.5 quart crockpot. Anything 4 quarts and up will work. Put the chicken and vegetables into the bottom of the crockpot. Add the cream-of soups, or your homemade substitute. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-5. I cooked ours on high for 4 hours, and on low for another two. An hour before serving, shred chicken with two large forks, and drop in the biscuit dough.

Cover and cook on high for another hour. The bisquits are done when you can insert a knife and it comes out clean. They will be spongey and will brown a bit on the sides and top.

Serve in bowls, with a biscuit or two per person.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am copying this from another member, from another thread, I have not yet made it, but the original poster said it's quite good, and only 20 minutes to make it:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/02/turkey-chili-taco-soup.html

This is one of the best chili's I've ever tasted! The only thing I changed was adding a bit of cumin but the serving size is large 1.25 cups for 199 calories... add a few tortilla chips crushed up in it and you've got your 200-300 calorie, very tasty, very filling meal! It also freezes very well so you can freeze single servings to thaw as you want it.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I made a carrot soup this week that's really quite tasty. I found the recipe online (although I can't for the life of me remember where), but here it is anyway:

450g carrots
    1 medium onion (mine was 80g)
    1 medium sized potato (mine was 150g)
    A handful of coriander (fresh) (I put in 20g)
    1 chicken stock cube (or you could use fresh stock if you have it/vegetable stock) mixed with enough water to cover the veg
    1 knob of butter to fry with- could use a 1 calorie spray if you have it

Fry the onions for a few minutes (until soft and caramelized) then add the potato and coriander- fry it all together for another minute, then add the carrots and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for twenty minutes (or until your carrots are soft). Then, blitz it with a blender/stick it in a blender and serve.

Mine came out at just over 100 calories a serving, and I got five servings out of one batch of soup. You could also quite happily add things to it, I had mine today with a cheese scone, but you could always add a bit of chicken/some other chunky vegetables to bulk it out if you like. I'm going to add lentils to mine next week. Enjoy!
  • northernlights907
    Options
    bump
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    YUM
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. I have a delicious beef barley vegetable soup I can share. Looks like some great recipes!!
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Also, whilst I'm here. Whenever anyone makes tomato soup you really should try roasting the tomatoes (in their skin) in the oven first- just for twenty minutes, without any oil. It makes the tomatoes caramelized and yummy- it also makes it easier to get the tomato skin off if you're not throwing that into the mix.

It really does make a huge difference. I like roasting my tomatoes with garlic before popping them into my soup mix.
  • Eerinelizz
    Eerinelizz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • jbond80
    jbond80 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    keep'em coming, some awesome idea's guys. thanks a bunch, can't wait to try some of these. :smile:
  • Jbadiam
    Jbadiam Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks !
  • awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Bump

I'll also add that I love the pasta bean soup from skinny taste, it delicious!
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shan1204
    Options
    My father has Diabetes and as a result, I bought a diabetes targeted cookbook to cater for his needs, when he visits. The point of all of this is that the book actually pretty much advocates lower sugar, lower fat, higher protein and low GI carbs. It has a fabulous section on soups and on stews and even a vegetarian section. I'm not vegetarian but I do eat several vegetarian meals a week because I enjoy them.

The book is called 'The Ultimate Book of Diabetic Cooking' and is written by Bridget Jones: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Book-Diabetic-Cooking/dp/1780191294/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347608262&sr=8-1

Most of the meals are sub 500 calories and in fact a lot of them are in the 100 to 300 calorie range.