in search for a low calorie beer

Options

Replies

• bukozki
    Options
    All I know is that right now in my fridge I've got the following...

12 Oz. Founders Porter
    12 Oz. Bottle Dogfishhead Indian Brown Ale
    22 Oz. Bottle Victory Baltic Thunder
    750ml. Bottle Sly Fox Black Raspberry Reserve
    22. Oz Bottle Sly Fox Odyssey
    6 Pack Troegs Nugget Nectar

And I just have to get through a six mile run before I dig in. That'll keep me going.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah...thanks for the info
  • T_R_A_V
    Options
    All I know is that right now in my fridge I've got the following...

12 Oz. Founders Porter
    12 Oz. Bottle Dogfishhead Indian Brown Ale
    22 Oz. Bottle Victory Baltic Thunder
    750ml. Bottle Sly Fox Black Raspberry Reserve
    22. Oz Bottle Sly Fox Odyssey
    6 Pack Troegs Nugget Nectar

And I just have to get through a six mile run before I dig in. That'll keep me going.

I dont think we have some of those down here in Louisiana
  • bukozki
    Options
    Sly Fox and Victory are from outside of Philadelphia, Troegs is from Harrisburg, Dogfishhead is Delaware and Founders is Michigan.

I just checked all of them and none seem to be distributed to Louisiana right now. I encourage you to look them up and track them down, they're all fantastic breweries.
  • bukozki
    Options
    I don't know why I assumed you were from Louisiana. Because Abita is brewed there and you like them? You can look up individual brewers and check their distribution.
  • T_R_A_V
    Options
    Well...you have my fav up that way...Yeungling is the best...and guess what cant get it here. I brought back a keg from FLA last time i was there though
  • sdreamer84
    sdreamer84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    so I found some lower calorie beers. Saturday I tried Amstel Light. only 95 calories and it had good flavor and for the super bowl I had michelob ultra pomegranette rasberry. Both very good! My best friend has switched to vodka with water mixed with crystal light packets. Which is also very good!

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone!!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I LOVE microbrewed beer, and since I live near Portland, OR--which is to microbrewed beer what Seattle (corporate home of Starbucks) is to coffee--I can indulge myself as often as I can fit it in to my available calories, but I prefer them on tap rather than in a bottle.

Sometimes, its gotta be a bottle, then, for me, there is nothing like a good light beer. I am not fond of regular Michelob Ultra, but the Cactus Lime version is pretty good. The flavor is there without being overwhelming. I prefer it to Bud Light Lime, which has an overwhelming lime taste that to me tastes to much like artificial flavor.

I haven't tried the new wheat beer that Bud is advertising, but since Hefewiezen is my favorite microbrew, it is worth a try.

Cheers!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    mmmm beer. I wanted one tonight but I OD'd on snickerdoodles instead :S
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Snickerdoodles and beer....hmmmm, I think ginger snaps might go better !! LOL
  • T_R_A_V
    Options
    beer.....hmmmm yummmy
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Beer snob here. :smile: I drink Sam Adams regularly and am a fixture at my local brewpub, to the point where any new servers get taken around and introduced to US, the regulars. Reds, browns, porters, and IPAs are my go-to brews. I think Guinness is the crappiest stout ever made -- it's the Budweiser of stouts (just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good). I'm going to automatically have a low opinion of anything with the name "Anheuser-Busch" associated with it. :wink:

So.....

If anyone really is considering drinking a Bud Select 55, don't bother. Really. It's 55 calories because it's watered down to the point where its alcohol content is 2.5% ABV. Why drink a crap beer that won't even get you drunk unless you drink an entire case? Save your money, save the calories, and have water instead.

That said, if you like beer with flavor and body, just have one or two less. Don't compromise quality -- Michelob Ultra Amber is probably the closest to tolerable for a macro-brew.

You like Blue Moon? HAVE A BLUE MOON! Just get the smaller size if on draft, or have one less bottle. DO NOT compromise with a Bud Light Golden Wheat (for that nonsense, just take a Blue Moon, split it in half and top it off with water -- you'll save money that way and get the same experience).

It's the Diet Coke Syndrome -- just because it's advertised as "less calories/light" doesn't mean you can drink MORE of it :smile:

Drink the good stuff, just less of it or less often.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Beer snob here. :smile: I drink Sam Adams regularly and am a fixture at my local brewpub, to the point where any new servers get taken around and introduced to US, the regulars. Reds, browns, porters, and IPAs are my go-to brews. I think Guinness is the crappiest stout ever made -- it's the Budweiser of stouts (just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good). I'm going to automatically have a low opinion of anything with the name "Anheuser-Busch" associated with it. :wink:

So.....

If anyone really is considering drinking a Bud Select 55, don't bother. Really. It's 55 calories because it's watered down to the point where its alcohol content is 2.5% ABV. Why drink a crap beer that won't even get you drunk unless you drink an entire case? Save your money, save the calories, and have water instead.

That said, if you like beer with flavor and body, just have one or two less. Don't compromise quality -- Michelob Ultra Amber is probably the closest to tolerable for a macro-brew.

You like Blue Moon? HAVE A BLUE MOON! Just get the smaller size if on draft, or have one less bottle. DO NOT compromise with a Bud Light Golden Wheat (for that nonsense, just take a Blue Moon, split it in half and top it off with water -- you'll save money that way and get the same experience).

It's the Diet Coke Syndrome -- just because it's advertised as "less calories/light" doesn't mean you can drink MORE of it :smile:

Amen! I'd rather drink and enjoy and savor one Blue Moon than slog through four Bud Select 55's.

Blue Moon was always my favorite, til I moved to Texas and discovered Shiner Bock...ohhh I love Shiner. Shiner Hef, Shiner Blonde...*sigh* :love: Not really a fan of the shiner Black Lager though.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options

So.....

I do agree with you to drink less and have a better quality beer esp one that you enjoy. But, unless you have tried Bud Light Golden Wheat and disliked it, don't knock it. I am the Queen of Beers, have been to over 400 brew pubs and many great beer bars throughout the United States, am married to a former brewmaster and have tried too many beers to count (probably not something I should admit). I felt Bud Light Golden Wheat was surprising full of body and tasted good. Now, it's not my favorite beer in the world either. My favorite style is IPA and we frequent Short's Brewery for the Huma-lupa-lIsious. Maybe we'll we will run into each other at the next MI beer festival. The absolute best beer would have to be Lindeman's Framboise (esp when you get it draft at Ashley's:love:). Sierra Nevada Celebration would be a close second. Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Viese, Dogfish head 60/90/120 min IPA, Bell's Cherry Stout, and Sam Adam's Triple Bock are up there on my best beers list...

What are other great beers that people like?
  • rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Beer talk! Awesome!

Yep, I've found beer is one part of my diet I can't seem to quit. I'm British, so like flavorful beers. My favorite is made by Yards in Philly - Thomas Jefferson's Tavern Ale. Yum, yum, yum. Failing that, I'm a big fan of all Sam Adams - especially their regular Boston Lager and Noble Pils seasonal.
  • UCONNCOED
    UCONNCOED Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    MMMM I love beer too, I have been having the same dilema. I think I am going to go with the.... "save" up lots of calories during the week and then just drink my beers on the weekend. I like the idea of Starting with your "Blue Moons" and maybe drinking them a little faster, then once your at the point of "milking a few" switch to a lighter beer. Or just cut one out, because I drank the others a little faster.....

Alsoooo..... food for thought..... the skinnier we get, the less beer we might need to consume. Even if its just 1 less, thats saving us 170 calories or so.

Love beer talk :drinker:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I work for Anheuser-Busch, so my answers are going to be a bit biased, LOL...........

Bud-Lite with Lime (yummo)
    michelob ultra
    Bud Select 55
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I work for Anheuser-Busch, so my answers are going to be a bit biased, LOL...........

Bud-Lite with Lime (yummo)
    michelob ultra
    Bud Select 55

But they have no flavor. Sorry! They may be low-cal, but they don't really quench a true beer drinker's thirst.

I think it really goes back to why you are drinking it. Us beer snobs aren't going to go for the watery AB/Miller/Coors stuff (which we probably aren't drinking even the regular stuff to begin with :laugh: ). Casual "beer" drinkers may be more likely to go for the diet product. And if you are just trying to get drunk, there are more diet friendly ways of going about it that don't also leave you bloated.

At any rate, I won't eat dinner for a great Belgian tripel, or the occasional strout or IPA. :drinker: Then again, I know beer has all sorts of goodies in it already. :)

It's not even 7am and I'm ready to hit the pub.
  • Autumn920
    Autumn920 Posts: 6
    Options
    DID ANYONE SAY BUD LITE HARVEST WHEAT YET?!?!? it's the newest addition to the Bud Lite line of beers. I hate wheat beers so I can't tell you how it tastes or what it's nutrition is....but if its Bud LITE...I have to imagine its the closest lite beer to a wheat beer you'll find