milk: what do you drink?

Options

Replies

• jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I drink skim almost all of the time, and use it to make a vanilla recovery shake (26 g protein per scoop + 8 g protein from the milk=good enough recovery for me :smile: )
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    At the bottom of the link are some great sources of non dairy based calcium.
    http://www.vegparadise.com/calcium.html

Note: this is a vegetarian/vegan site and while we won't all agree about what's on the site, it's a great referance for non-animal based nutrients.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    Skim if on cereal, lowfat chocolate after a workout (I've read studies where this is better for building muscle/losing fat than any of those expensive protein drinks) and 1% any other time. All organic.
  • OctoberBabe
    OctoberBabe Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I drink 2% because I think anything lower taste like water and is to thin. I have drank 2% so long whole milk to me is to thick. I use to be a big milk drinker untill I started watching my calories. I miss it sometimes:( (especially with oreo cookies...LOL)
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I prefer light soy milk, rice milk, or almond milk. Aside from being lactose intolerant (it took me til I was 21 to figure that out! :tongue: ), I've read a lot of research that makes me personally want to stay away from/cut down on dairy. One book if you're interested in reading anything about it (and eating animal products in general) by a famous nutrition researcher is "The China Study," by T. Colin Campbell. It's based on the biggest epidemiological study ever done in nutrition, and the findings are astounding! :noway: :smile: . Btw, I've cut out dairy and meat (still eat fish though), and by incorporating more plant sources of calcium and protein have been able to put on more muscle than I ever did before on a meat/dairy diet. :drinker:

I haven't read this, but I have heard of it from others in my field. His main argument seems to be that those who eat more animal protein are prone to more chronic disease, well that makes some sense if you consider that those who eat more animal protein are probably wealthier and can afford more meat so they probably drive more and have a less active job, etc. There are so many confounding factors involved in looking at the relationship between protein consumption and chronic disease... just doubtful this is the end-all-be-all study. Also, the fact that his research went straight to a book rather than a peer-reviewed journal...also questionable...I'd be interested in any other papers or meta-analysis using his data...
    On another note, the rates of osteoporosis for Asian women are astounding, indicating a deficit in calcium.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I drink 2%
  • MommyofLily
    MommyofLily Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to all dairy (recently found this out about 2 months ago...) and I prefer almond milk because it is lower in sugar. I like the taste of soy milk better because it's creamier, but the sugar content is still pretty high for soy milk and is really high in regular milk. Before I found out about my allergies, I drank skim milk and definitely preferred skim to 1%, 2% or whole milk. I would skip milk altogether, but I like to eat cereal and make smoothies so almond is my go to source for that.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    2% in order to absorb the vitamin D in order to absorb the calcium. You need 2% to do this.

We worked in the Dairy business for a long time and the only difference between skim, 1%, 2% and whole milk is the fat

Dairyland - 1% Milk
    Servings:
    Calories 110 Sodium 120 mg
    Total Fat 3 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 2 g Total Carbs 12 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 12 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 9 g
    Cholesterol 10 mg
    Vitamin A 10% Calcium 30%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%

Dairyland - 2% Milk
    Servings:
    Calories 130 Sodium 120 mg
    Total Fat 5 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 3 g Total Carbs 12 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 9 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%

Dairyland - Skim Milk
    Servings:
    Calories 90 Sodium 125 mg
    Total Fat 0 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 13 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 13 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 9 g
    Cholesterol 5 mg
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%

Dairyland - Homogenized Milk 3.25%
    Servings:
    Calories 160 Sodium 0 mg
    Total Fat 8 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 5 g Total Carbs 12 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 8 g
    Cholesterol 30 mg
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%

I think some of the measurements on here that say 0 are a mistake but I can't find the data to fill in the spaces
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I drink skim. Honestly, I didn't notice much of a taste difference when I first switched from 2%. I love the taste of skim milk and when I accidentally drink my daughter's whole milk, I feel like I'm drinking a milkshake because it's so thick!

On a side note, I didn't know some people were so fired up about milk!

I agree with mommyhof3...I did a ton of research on milk because my 2 1/2 yr old daughter is really small and while dr. recommends switching to 2% milk when kids turn 2, I felt like she still needed the whole milk because of her size....after tons of research, I found that truly the only difference is the fat and vitamin D!
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    I switched from 2% to skim when I started trying to loss.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,666 Member
    Options
    1% organic here. I used to drink skim and buy 2% for the rest of the family, but they don't mind the 1%, and it's easier not to have to buy two kinds of milk.
  • price805
    price805 Posts: 20
    Options
    I guess I'm kinda screwed on this. I drink soy milk because I am severely lactose intolerant when it comes to milk. I can eat cheese in extreme moderation but a cup of milk and I lay in the floor and beg God to let me die before the vomiting and other stuff begins. So I guess I'll just have to lose the weight the hard way. :/
  • price805
    price805 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have to drink soy milk... I'm lactose intolerance and I can't stand the taste of milk since I haven't really drank it for the past 23 years. I choose it over almond milk because it does have a higher amount of protein per glass (6g for 8z instead of just 1g for almond). I take a multivitamin to make sure I'm getting enough nutrients since I can't have milk. I'm a little envious of all the benefits you can get drinking milk. It would make me too ill thought.

I am in the same boat. Although I have only stopped drinking milk in the last few years.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    We use 2%, though I definitely don't drink it- cereal and cooking only. I've tried soy, rice and almond milk, and the only one of the 3 I like is almond. I haven't bought it in a while, but I keep meaning to. :)
  • bxdarby
    bxdarby Posts: 17
    Options
    I drink Silk Vanilla light soymilk. I'm confused with this study though because I just compared the nutritional facts of the Silk against Regular Whole Milk and surprisingly, the Silk has more nutrients in every category except for Vitamin A. The protein in Silk is 1g less than in regular whole milk. So what gives? I don't understand how there could be much of a benefit to drinking just one more gram of protein per serving. Anyone have any insight on this?
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    Options
    Honestly, I know lots of media is trying to advertise milk as a magic product, but it is not all that great for most people. Many people are lactose intolerant, and they cannot lose weight, feel sluggish and tired just because of consuming milk (or other dairy products) without realizing the consequences.

In fact, milk that is sold at the stores, is pasteurized and homogenized. Which means, all the enzymes that help digest foods in our bodies are gone once the milk is pasteurized. Cow's milk is a questionable product in general. But the only cow's milk that is relatively better -- that is raw (which means unpasteurized/unheated) milk with enzymes in it. You can get it from local farmers.

What's most frustrating to people is that "big guys" advertise and tell us to drink milk and we want to trust them. Guess who funds the research that pasteurized milk is great? :-) Yep, it's a huge industry.

I suggest you drink natural nut milks, without added sugars. Those are really great! I love Eden brand for many many products. Choose organic, in either case, because the toxins that build up in our bodies interfere with weight loss we can achieve! Also, for those lactose intolerant, who still want animal milk, goat's milk is better than cow's-- it has smaller molecules and is therefore digested easier. Wishing you all great health!! :flowerforyou:
  • marpod126
    marpod126 Posts: 2
    Options
    After I work out I drink a glass of skim milk with protein supplement mixed in. The chocolate is delicious! You can get the protein from anywhere. I get the big two pound containers from Walmart. I have not lost a ton of weight, but I have lost inches and clothes fit better. The protein helps build lean muscle.
  • irishhh
    irishhh Posts: 11
    Options
    Well, remember that drinking milk from cows or other animals contains cholesterol. Soy milk does not. Plus, you can get everything you need from soy milk and no animals had to suffer for it :)
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Glass of Non-Fat milk every morning. No animal has to suffer for it any more than a mother has to suffer for giving her infant breastmilk.
  • irishhh
    irishhh Posts: 11
    Options
    JURGITAFIT

I recently read an article that talked about milk actually being bad for humans. I'm looking for it b/c it was very interesting. Is this something you read? It was about animal proteins and milk in the diet being bad b/c the protein is actually being leeched from the bones. Plus societies that consume non animal diet have the lowest rates of osteoporosis!