Ending 1200 Calorie Bashing: Respecting Your Peers

Replies

• ladybird1771
    ladybird1771 Posts: 99 Member
    Thank you for writing this :smile:
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    This is a huge point that is almost always blown right over in the whole 1200 calorie "debate". I have a net goal of 1200 is VERY different than I eat 1200. I net 1200, I eat about 1800 (the same number I get through the roadmap or eat more to weigh less or anything else that "forces" inclusion of exercise calories). This isn't entirely relevant to the OP's situation, but I believe that a NET of 1200 is entirely appropriate for most of the people on it. If they NET 1200-which is very, very, very different than eating 1200.

This. I have no bones to pick with the 1200 crowd if they're doing this.

Yes, there is a huge difference. In my particular case 1200 net, with 2.5 hours of aerobic exercise a week, is where I am at. My actual baseline would be 900, but again--that's extraordinarily low. I certainly wouldn't recommend this to anyone w/o direct medical supervision.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Thank you for posting this.

Although I don't do 1200 cals I do eat below my BMR and I am under the care of a dietician. I tried eating at 1500 1600 1700 and even 1800 cals because evryone says you need to eat more, I just kept gaining. In frustration I went to a dietician and then had my BMR tested, it was a lot lower than any calculator online gave me. No wonder I was gaining eating those about of calories. I am now consistanly losing fat while maintaining my muscle mass.
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Nice Post!
  • denisemuill
    denisemuill Posts: 19 Member
    I also have received slack for my food diary and I will put mine up against many I've seen. I feel like if I put a bunch of junk food or other empty calories in the diary others would be happy. I have had people be very disrespectful. I have not deleted them because I think it would be a bit childish on my part. But words do matter 
    We are all made different. My weight loss has been steady at 1-2 lb loss per week and a couple of 1-2 lb gains. I have lost 28 lbs, I have more energy than I ever have, my moods are great, I am exercising and I am starting to love my body shape again.
    Nothing is one size fits all
  • nataliescalories
    I also have received slack for my food diary and I will put mine up against many I've seen. I feel like if I put a bunch of junk food or other empty calories in the diary others would be happy. I have had people be very disrespectful. I have not deleted them because I think it would be a bit childish on my part. But words do matter 
    We are all made different. My weight loss has been steady at 1-2 lb loss per week and a couple of 1-2 lb gains. I have lost 28 lbs, I have more energy than I ever have, my moods are great, I am exercising and I am starting to love my body shape again.
    Nothing is one size fits all

That's fantastic! It can be such a relief to finally find where we need to be! =) Keep up the good work!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    This is a huge point that is almost always blown right over in the whole 1200 calorie "debate". I have a net goal of 1200 is VERY different than I eat 1200. I net 1200, I eat about 1800 (the same number I get through the roadmap or eat more to weigh less or anything else that "forces" inclusion of exercise calories). This isn't entirely relevant to the OP's situation, but I believe that a NET of 1200 is entirely appropriate for most of the people on it. If they NET 1200-which is very, very, very different than eating 1200.

This. I have no bones to pick with the 1200 crowd if they're doing this.

Yes, there is a huge difference. In my particular case 1200 net, with 2.5 hours of aerobic exercise a week, is where I am at. My actual baseline would be 900, but again--that's extraordinarily low. I certainly wouldn't recommend this to anyone w/o direct medical supervision.

And I apologize for semi-hijacking your thread (which I think is very valid btw), I just see so much of the 1200 bashing by people that eat the same (or less) than I do and I am "on" mfp's 1200 setup. I just use mfp the way it is set up (to net that amount). I know that's different than your situation, but it gets to me for different reasons.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    I know it was a long post, but I do hope you can go through it again with more time. I said, on at least three separate occasions, that there are certainly a great deal of people at 1200 calories who should not be. However, I just don't think that's up to us to decide and certainly not through shaming. I never said 1200 calories is okay for me and okay for you. You are directly misquoting. I said anyone with such caloric restriction should try to seek medical consult because it is risky. I explicitly said nothing I do is in anyway an indication of what anyone else should do.

That's the problem. That's why you hear the special snowflake line again and again. People always think they're the exception, when really they aren't. I agreed that shaming was bad, did I not? I'm not saying that we should shame people. I'm saying that we should educate people. When you eat below your BMR you have a metabolic slowdown. That's not my opinion, that's SCIENCE. Now, your BMR may be different than other people's or you may not care about losing lean body mass because it's more important to lose fat quicker because you are obese. But once again, that's not the majority of people I see on here who are on 1200 cal diets.

And my bad about the bod pod. I don't really know because I haven't had one. I usually just use my measurements, although I did read before that it was $75 a pop. Also, I do know that you can have a cursory meeting with a nutritionist for cheap. I work in community health. But you cannot have the bloodwork necessary to show a need for a VLCD in one of those cursory exams. All they can use is your current diet, your weight, and your medical history. So the advice doesn't really get to be that individualized outside of how a specific person can add in healthier habits.

Really, the special snowflake thing is just disdainful. It's really sad that that's part of your contribution. It's also just inaccurate. As I quoted in my original post--there are VAST differences in metabolisms; just because you plug something into a calculator does not make it accurate. If I see someone eating 1200 calories who hasn't gotten medical consult, then I always recommend IPOARM as a fantastic starting point. Enough already with the negative flippant comments.

Love,
    A Special Snowflake--Just Like You

OMG, if you think that was bad, try saying that you don't eat grains in the forums, and by god, don't dare try to help someone based on your own experience. I've decided to embrace the "special snowflake" title instead of fighting it. My lifestyle choice is based on just as valid info as anyone elses, in fact, I've usually done far more research on nutrition, metabolism, physiology, anthropology, food politics, etc than the person ridiculing me, and I actually base my opinions on direct experience. But "it's just the internet, suck it up?" When did people start believing that it's ok to be a jerk as long as they are behind a computer?
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Great post! Lots of support from my friends and myself over here!
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    I just posted something about this as a frustrating note about when people do this, HOWEVER you have proven my point in the positive way! You sought out medical assistance when choosing to do a very low calorie diet to ensure that you did it properly and your body received that proper amount of nutrients and care. I personally only get upset when people do it whilly-nilly and just eat way less and dont eat well either. As I said loosing weight and being healthy are sometimes not the same thing and people who truly care about their health will put their HEALTHY on their front burner not their weight loss. So good for you and congratulations on your weight loss. :happy:
  • nataliescalories
    I know it was a long post, but I do hope you can go through it again with more time. I said, on at least three separate occasions, that there are certainly a great deal of people at 1200 calories who should not be. However, I just don't think that's up to us to decide and certainly not through shaming. I never said 1200 calories is okay for me and okay for you. You are directly misquoting. I said anyone with such caloric restriction should try to seek medical consult because it is risky. I explicitly said nothing I do is in anyway an indication of what anyone else should do.

That's the problem. That's why you hear the special snowflake line again and again. People always think they're the exception, when really they aren't. I agreed that shaming was bad, did I not? I'm not saying that we should shame people. I'm saying that we should educate people. When you eat below your BMR you have a metabolic slowdown. That's not my opinion, that's SCIENCE. Now, your BMR may be different than other people's or you may not care about losing lean body mass because it's more important to lose fat quicker because you are obese. But once again, that's not the majority of people I see on here who are on 1200 cal diets.

And my bad about the bod pod. I don't really know because I haven't had one. I usually just use my measurements, although I did read before that it was $75 a pop. Also, I do know that you can have a cursory meeting with a nutritionist for cheap. I work in community health. But you cannot have the bloodwork necessary to show a need for a VLCD in one of those cursory exams. All they can use is your current diet, your weight, and your medical history. So the advice doesn't really get to be that individualized outside of how a specific person can add in healthier habits.

Really, the special snowflake thing is just disdainful. It's really sad that that's part of your contribution. It's also just inaccurate. As I quoted in my original post--there are VAST differences in metabolisms; just because you plug something into a calculator does not make it accurate. If I see someone eating 1200 calories who hasn't gotten medical consult, then I always recommend IPOARM as a fantastic starting point. Enough already with the negative flippant comments.

Love,

OMG, if you think that was bad, try saying that you don't eat grains in the forums, and by god, don't dare try to help someone based on your own experience. I've decided to embrace the "special snowflake" title instead of fighting it. My lifestyle choice is based on just as valid info as anyone elses, in fact, I've usually done far more research on nutrition, metabolism, physiology, anthropology, food politics, etc than the person ridiculing me, and I actually base my opinions on direct experience. But "it's just the internet, suck it up?" When did people start believing that it's ok to be a jerk as long as they are behind a computer?

I like your attitude. I mean really..snowflakes are some amazing stuff! =)
    And yes...I don't get the "just suck it up" thing. I am quite shocked by the response on here and in messages--in a positive way. I've had several people say that all the negativity had them almost dropping off of MFP. That's so sad to me because I think it's one of the best diet resources around. So many people are overcoming a slew of real life/psychological/etc. obstacles just to get themselves to log in here. I definitely don't want them shot down.
  • striveforhealthy
    striveforhealthy Posts: 137 Member
    Bless this entire post! Thank you. I'm in maintenance mode now (although, trying to lose the couple pounds I gained over the holidays} but during my major weight loss I stuck to a 1200 cal diet and that is what worked for me and my body. And with that a lot of my PCOS symptoms have subsided. I have a lot more energy, my hair is thicker, no more extreme cramping. Its been amazing. The only downfall is I'm still prone to easy weight gain. But hey, I can't have it all lol.

Good luck to you and don't let others get you down!
  • nataliescalories
    Bless this entire post! Thank you. I'm in maintenance mode now (although, trying to lose the couple pounds I gained over the holidays} but during my major weight loss I stuck to a 1200 cal diet and that is what worked for me and my body. And with that a lot of my PCOS symptoms have subsided. I have a lot more energy, my hair is thicker, no more extreme cramping. Its been amazing. The only downfall is I'm still prone to easy weight gain. But hey, I can't have it all lol.

Good luck to you and don't let others get you down!

Congratulations! That's fantastic! I imagine maintenance is an entirely separate animal, but you can conquer that too! Have you seen the blog www.runsforcookies.com? She doesn't have PCOS, but she did lose over 100lbs. She is just dealing with maintenance issues now and I find her blog so inspirational; it might help out.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member

Love,

^this x1000
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member

When did people start believing that it's ok to be a jerk as long as they are behind a computer?

Since the internet was created.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Great post OP, you rock.
  • cherilyn221
    cherilyn221 Posts: 62 Member
    Bravo!!
  • cherilyn221
    cherilyn221 Posts: 62 Member
    You've made very well written and valid points that I've thought several times here in forums. I even had to delete contacts who weren't respectful of me and my food diary. Thank you for saying what needed to be said.
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    This is a great post. Weight loss journey is different for everyone, 1200 calories/day might work for some but might not work for most (which is majority of the population). It's really up to the person to find their "right" calories to ensure a healthy lifestyle.

I actually went to see the 1200, and why it won't work post too. The guy from that post said, "......Let it be said that if 1200 is working for you, and you've found it to be easy to follow, your results are measurable and sustainable, there's nothing that the original post can do for you. The ideas and experiences in it were indeed meant to empower those of you confused or frustrated in finding other avenues to achieve your weight loss goals." And I do agree with his OP. I think he is just trying to inspire people to stop thinking that 1200 calories/ day is the magic number to weight loss. For those that have lose weight successfully all just try to inspire people, nothing wrong with that.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    What a great post. While I generally don't cater to the "special snowflakes" out there, I will say this. We all have different shoe sizes and different heights. Why can't we have different caloric needs as well?

I don't think there is a one size fits all when it comes to a losing weight, but there are some ways of eating (ie counting calories and getting in adequate nutrition like lean protein and veggies) that will help most people.

You have a great attitude, and I know you are going to be nothing but a success on your journey.

If you are open to advice, one thing I noticed is that you said you don't get much exercise. If it's possible, try lifting weights and building lean muscle. Lean muscle will burn more calories, even when you are at rest, allowing you to get more food, and still lose weight.

LMAO "special snowflakes" we are all special, bodies maybe are supposed to work the same way but they don't, making me "special" (ie...different). I'm tired of people saying you aren't special because our bodies all work the same, HELL NO they don't and it's a crock full of crap oh la when it's said to someone.
This discussion has been closed.