Half Marathon Training!!

Options
2»

Replies

• 1musicmom
    1musicmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been a runner for 22 years and did my first half marathon last May. My time was not great, but I did it! I felt such a sense of accomplishment!

I followed Hal Higdon's running program (avail online) and tacked on no more than 10% each long run. Short runs for time purposes were between 3-4 miles 3-4 times each week. I also do the elliptical and play lots of tennis for cross training.

My longest run during training was 11 miles. I came home and cried when I finished I was so happy and exhausted. Do I wish I did over 13 in a training run? Yes, I think so. My legs were feeling horrible at 12 and I would have loved to have done 12 so I could experience that.

Will I do it again? When my son is a bit older. A huge time commitment, but well worth it! Best of luck! GO FOR IT!
  • lleesmann
    Options
    Getting ready to start training for my first half in October. Thanks for all the excellent tips (and to OP for posting the question)! Glad to see I'm not the only one with this goal this year. :)
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh my goodness thank you EVERYONE for the tips!!! I will be putting them to good use!!! I am still trying to drop my last 30 lbs so I'm sure this training will help =)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half too, in July! It's nice to read all these tips. I just started running a month ago and I'm up to four miles, working my way up. I can't believe how sore I am though. Does it get better as you keep running consistently?
    It gets better. If you keep running consistently the day will come when you run 4 mikes to recover from the hard workout the day before. It just takes time.
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    yay i'm on my week 3 of training for my half!! just keep going and make sure you take rest days for sure. My friend told me about this to put in my info and it makes a training plan loveee it

http://smartcoach.runnersworld.com/smartcoach/my_plan.jsp

good luck!!!
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    In response to people talking about distance to complete before the first half: my training program had me run the full 13 before actual race day, and I am actually really glad I did it. Somewhat anticlimatic in the sense that it wasn't like crossing the finish line on actual race day was the longest I had ever run....but going in to the race I had a lot of confidence, because I knew I could do it.....because I had done it about three weeks earlier. :)
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am running my first half in October and have gained a lot of great ideas from this post. I would love to have more friends that have done HM's before, or are training for one, so please add me!
  • realdeal274
    realdeal274 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am gearing up for my first half marathon race too. I've run a lot though and have done the distance multiple times. I am recovering from a 5 month of horrible infections that led to about 25 pounds of weight gain. I hope that I can get back into running form myself.

Some general running tips:

(1) feel free to walk. I think some people get so much that they have to run when starting out that they hate walking. I think walking is a fabulous way to increase distance.

(2) As you get closer to your goal weight, make sure you are lifting weights too. Your body will stop dropping fat.

Good luck!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I ran three half marathons last year. I have another half in April and I've started training for a full (my first!) in May.

Like many, many other posters, I actually ran the 13.1 miles during my training before my first half marathon (actually, I ran it twice in the time leading up to it and then tapered off prior to race day). Running is something that has never come easily to me so I think I needed that confidence that I could do it before the actual race. That first half marathon had way more hills than I trained on - I knew that would be the case and while I tried to incorporate some hills into my training, it just couldn't compare to the actual race which was in the very hilly San Francisco. In any case, with all those hills, I'm sure glad that I knew the distance alone wouldn't be an issue.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh my goodness thank you EVERYONE for the tips!!! I will be putting them to good use!!! I am still trying to drop my last 30 lbs so I'm sure this training will help =)

Rosey - I am soooo proud of you my friend! I know you will do GREAT! And you are inspiring me to try to run more and go further! You awesome girl!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Training for half that I am doing in October, love all the tips!
    Thank you
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options

Rosey - I am soooo proud of you my friend! I know you will do GREAT! And you are inspiring me to try to run more and go further! You awesome girl!

Awwww Beef!! Love your face my friend! You push me to doooooooo it every day!!
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about a year and half now, I have done 2 half marathons...I have had to walk in both but I did them, I was out there trying!!! I orginally signed up for my first half because my trainer was leaving my gym and I was afraid without a goal to shoot for ....I was going to re-gress and give up because of my trainer leaving....she started me running. I have a 12 week training program I could share with you if you send me your email.

Kudo's to you!!!

Robin
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My first half is in 7 weeks. Last weekend I managed to get up to 11.4, and I've been debating going much more than that, but after reading everyone's posts, I think I will try to get to at least 12.5, if not the full 13.1! Good advice everyone!
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump! :)
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I've run 7 half marathons (my last one yesterday!) and 2 marathons so am chock full of advice and motivation if anyone wants to add me. I am also more than willing to share my training plan which goes up to 19k.

My important tips:

1) invest in good running gear, for ladies that means excellent running bras. What "works" for short runs will quickly become intolerable as you ratchet up the miles;

2) body glide is your friend, learn to love it.

3) start experimenting with fuels to find the one that works for you by the time your long runs are 12 km.

4) never miss a long run, and try to get as many of your training runs in as possible.

5) incorporate hill work, your body will thank you.

6) make sure at least one of your long runs is at the same time of day as your race.

7) eat breakfast. EVERY DAY and especially on race day!

Awesome tips to follow! I have done 4 half marathons. I have a tip to add, but it's for race day. Don't count on the port a potties to have toilet paper. I stuffed a bunch of TP in my SPIbelt (and in a waterproof bag by them) and will never run a long race without it again. That is one thing I wish I would have been told before my first half . Sending you a friend request now.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half too, in July! It's nice to read all these tips. I just started running a month ago and I'm up to four miles, working my way up. I can't believe how sore I am though. Does it get better as you keep running consistently?
    It gets better. If you keep running consistently the day will come when you run 4 mikes to recover from the hard workout the day before. It just takes time.

Very true. It will get better! Never thought I'd say this, but I'm finally at the point where 4 miles is considered a "short" run.