PCOS?

Options
Does anybody here suffer from PCOS? I'm in search of support. I was diagnosed with PCOS 6 years ago at the age of 15 and I am fully aware of what comes with my disorder, but I just want to know that I am not alone.

Replies

• primpinxoxo
    primpinxoxo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Right there with you girl.....
  • primpinxoxo
    Options
    Do you have an under active thyroid as well?
  • ashleym9925
    Options
    No, I don't. I just have really bad insulin resistance.
  • GetHotIn2014
    GetHotIn2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have heard of so many women on this site having it, and although I've never been disgnosed, I'm pretty sure I do as well. I have all the symptoms. I've read it's really very common, so you shouldn't feel alone. I'm hoping that diet and exercise and losing weight will help with a lot of the issues I've had from it.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Me me me!!!! I do and it's a struggle!! Feel free to add me!
  • ashleym9925
    Options
    Thanks, if you have any questions, let me know. :)
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Me, too. Been fighting it for years!! Finally found this site and lost weight that my OB/GYN told me I could never lose. With my insulin resistance, I have learned to avoid certain foods. Potatoes are evil for me! Even if I stay under my calories, they make me gain weight. EVIL TATERS! Good luck!
  • primpinxoxo
    Options
    Are any of you low carb/gluten free to help with your PCOS?
  • ashleym9925
    Options
    Yes I know, but I'm in love with tater tots/french fries, so try my best to keep them out of my diet. I always have a cheat day every Friday and I cheat and eat some tater tots. :)
  • ashleym9925
    Options
    I follow the low GI diet. It works really well, I stay away from sugar and heavy starches.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I follow the low GI diet. It works really well, I stay away from sugar and heavy starches.

Thats basically what I'm doing now, too......I'm only on Day 3, but man! I already feel waaaaaay better!
  • ashleym9925
    Options
    That's great!!!!
    I have done the low GI diet 3 times, but this time I'm really trying to stick to it, now that I have the resources at my fingertips. I have lost a lot with this diet. The first time, Iost 40lbs in 3 months. I've been sticking to it now for a month and I've lost 20lbs.
  • primpinxoxo
    Options
    What are the "quality carbs" in a low gi diet?
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, also. I've had it for about 15 years or so now, and it has only gotten worse with time and weight. Mine is pretty extreme with 1-2 periods/year lasting ~6 weeks, and full body/facial hair. It really sucks, and can make losing weight hard. "Normal" women have no idea- they are hormonal for a few days a month. We get those few days every month, plus the HUGE hormonal slap in the face whenever "Aunt Flo" comes to visit. I am hopeful that some of these symptoms will go down with my weight.

I have been avoiding bread, rice, and potatoes as much as possible. My allowed "cheat" is the grilled sandwich at Chik Fil A on a wheat bun. Most of my carbs now come from bananas, milk, and black beans. Other veggies contribute, too, but those three are pretty high up there.
  • ashleym9925
    Options
    Well I completely understand about the hair growth I am a hairy beast. However I can't say I feel you on the periods. I don't have periods haven't had one for six years. It's really important for me to have one because I don't feel feminine enough.
  • ashleym9925
    Options
    Sorry I'm not sure what your asking about? Quality carbs?
  • Jmetz09
    Jmetz09 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well:( its rough but would love to lose weight as that is the only REAL thing that helps in my case:) Hang in there and I will add you
  • ashleym9925
    Options
    I have PCOS as well:( its rough but would love to lose weight as that is the only REAL thing that helps in my case:) Hang in there and I will add you

Thanks! You hang in there.
  • nikongirl29
    nikongirl29 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Me too! It SUCKS!
  • annpatrin
    Options
    I was diagnosed 13 years ago, I feel your pain and understand what you're going through. Feel free to add me = )