*** Supportive Friends -- Looking to Release 50+ Pounds ***

Options

Replies

• RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    So many new faces here now I won't even try to catch up. Just wanted to all of you skinny chics know that I'm still here. I'm still on a rollercoaster with my inner ear issues and was not feeling well again these past 2 weeks. Becky - I can relate with you on the meds. These steriods are a killer. But at least they got me to a point where I can function again.

I know that half of the reason I'm not not feeling good is because of poor eating habits and not enough exercise, so I'm really pushing myself to eat less sodium and caffiene this week.

Great to see everyone posting here. Keep up the hard work. Take one day at a time.
  • misspinkshorts
    misspinkshorts Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This weekend was a rough one. It was full of birthday celebrations and all my friends returning to campus. My roommate celebrated a birthday and we now have 1/2 of three different cakes sitting in our fridge. Ugg. I turned down any and all sweets this weekend and worked out Friday and Sunday. Saturday is my only rest day because its the only day I get a full day to run around and do errands. I felt like I was moving non-stop this weekend.

Classes are in full swing now. Today was my first day of class and work. Started off strong. Good breakfast, PACKED a good lunch, came home worked out. Now I've hit a wall. There is nothing good to eat in my house. I was just at the store and got tones of fruits and veggies and planned out lunches for the week but forgot to plan out dinners. Im talking myself out of walking across the street to Wendy's and into eating something I have here at the house. I actually GAINED weight last week (Im hoping it was muscle because I did start more intense workouts) so Im trying really hard to be extra good this week. I can't stand another gain.

~Amanda

_________

Carla- Welcome back. The hardest thing for me this past summer when I first joined MFP was when I went away for 2 weeks to Guatemala on a Missions trip. I had been doing good up till that point but I is considered rude to turn down the food they make you so I was eating lots of fried foods and drinking soda every meal (the water wasn't clean).

Becky- Thanks for the encouragement. I've noticed that the better I take care of myself the more energy I have to focus on helping others. So I have to keep telling myself to better myself means being able to help others. Gotta take care of myself before I can take care of others.
  • misspinkshorts
    Options
    Just a quick questions. Im wondering about how people say eating after x time effects weight loss? Is there any truth to this? Because I just finished dinner. I have a lot of calories left over but I don't think I'll be hungry again until late. Which is worse: eating late at night or not eating my calories?
  • renate1958
    renate1958 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm Donna from PA and I'm 54 years old. I'm hoping to get down under the 200's. I've been heavy since I was in puberty. There I times when I feel like giving up and just succumbing to the comfort of eating. But I keep fighting it. I'm not ready to give up yet. It's been pretty devastating on my knees and health. I'm lucky so far in that I have no diabetes or heart disease yet.

I'm single with no kids. I do work with an animal rescue fostering dogs and doing fund raising for the rescue organization.
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    misspinkshort: For me personally i think eating after 7 or 8 is worse. If I have extra calorie left over for the day, yea me!! But because you are winding down for the day and may not move as much, your not really burning extra calorie. But this is me personally because there are some people that say eat all your calorie. So do what you feel is right.

Had a decent day. Shoveled lots of snow today, it was really wet and heavy. Then Eve and I played in the snow, so hope that kinda makes up for not going to the gym. And don't know about the rest of the week. Tomorrow is a high of 50 then we are to get about a foot of snow on Wednesday. How crazy is that?!?

Hope everyone is doing well.

Julie
  • jehan
    jehan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i had a good weekend. I went to the gym and did my usual elliptical and stationary bike. Unfortunately, I'm only 12 weeks post-CS, so I couldn't do my usual exercise videos. Hopefully, in a few weeks I could start with the 30 day shred again. Last night, I won my battle against the dreaded chocolate cake. For the first time, in a VERY long time, I was able to say NO. Too bad, I can't hit the gym today because of work. So I'll take today as my rest day.

Hope you guys have a great day!!!

Jehan
  • penbur
    penbur Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am really wanting to get into a healthy range of weight. I need to lose about 140 pounds. I am highly motivated and am looking for support! Yolu can add me if you'd like too!
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Find me when yall are serious!

What the hell is THAT?!?!

Seriously... why post if this is what you have to say?!? I mean - come on... *rolls eyes annoyed*
  • PurpleCoookie
    Options
    Hi, you all can call me Jivvy. I'm 21 trying to lose 155lbs. Last year I have been slacking off with school so I gain back a couple of pounds.Hopefully I can drop 40 or more by summer.
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty damn frustrated! I know why... but... I want to see the scale move in the proper direction and get this "steroid weight" back off, and my ticker back up... and 7 pounds of it was gone, 5 of that 7 were back on this morning. NOW - I know that this could be TOM and that I burned almost 3,000 calories yesterday... but good grief! :( I drank water like no ones business and I'm just frustrated. It's also a full on Monday... but went to the gym and fought hard to burn about 1600 I think. Dang, can't remember... but it was more than intended, so I am happy with that. Tomorrow is Trainer Tuesday - the day that I work with my personal trainer. I'm psyched and ready. She's gonna kick my *kitten* and I'm really ready for it! PLUS - I have discovered the beauty and wonderment of the Steam Room - it's like heaven! I kick up the temp, turn off the light, spray extra eucalyptis and just sit back and enjoy. :)

Nat: Oh my can I relate... my first 50 seemed "easy" and then it was hard... but, at a point it seemed easier again, then hard. My body seems to just "freak out" at certain points and won't let me release past that point, so I end up going back up about 10 or so, then can re-release and usually make it past that "mark." Anyway - we'll see what happens this week... I just need to get this stupid weight back off. UGH! Anyway - it will come off - and you'll get your mojo again! Glad to have you with us...

hmayo86: If you are frustrated? Sometimes the Success Stories is the WRONG place to be... LOL. I try... TRY... not to ever compare my release journey to anyone else because you never really know what's going on with them, if they've done it in a healthy way and what kind of genes that they have... so stay focused and know that you will get there! :)

StephanieStC: There are just places where my body "stalls" and then it will get going again. I always think about it as though it's getting used to the changes and staying/holding to see if this is going to keep happening or not. So, as my body strted to get fuel 3x a day versus 1x a day - initially there were places where maybe my body would have gained... but once it realized that it would always be fueled 3x a day - it used the fuel efficiently. In other words? Some weeks will be easier than others. I, luckily, don't deal with "hunger" because I discovered how hard that is and how much it sucks when I was on the steroid... lol. I mean, I don't feel it because I have killed my metabolism by unhealthy one meal a day for years and years... I do actually celebrate when I feel hungry because it means that my metabolism is fiding it's way back... but - cravings? Well, I find that after about 21 days? They go away for me... I know that I need to make it past that 14-21 day mark and then? It's much easier... but that initial couple weeks?!? Oh my! Stick with it... you'll get the results with the persistence.

ReNae: Hey Sista!! :) So glad to see you... just keep coming back because we NEED you... and, I hope that the wellness just surrounds and engulfs you!

Amanda: Keep on keeping on! You are on a good path, don't get too focused on what parts you missed... right now? Celebrate the good things! And, who say that a lunch? Can't be a dinner? Substitute where you need to - my bet? You won't forget things for dinners next time. :) And, I don't know... I don't eat back all my calories - it'd be impossible for me most of the time. I try to focus in on getting what I have my day set for - which is somewhere around 1800, I think... so I try to get at least the 1800 in. For me? I probably am not eating enough - it's the only option left. LOL. But - I don't worry so much about the time of my meals... and, I don't force myself to eat when I'm too full to eat... if I find at the end of the day that my choices were all too low cal and I'm at 1000-1200? I'll find something and eat it, even if it's a couple scoops of low sugar low sodium peanut butter... But, I don't focus too much on time - and really try to just get in at least the 1800 calories...

Julie: Ugh! Snow... I want just nicer weather... have my first 5K the day after my birthday. So, I hope that the cold stays out your direction instead of mine. Great NATURAL workout too... shoveling and playing. :) That's awesome!
  • StephanieStC
    StephanieStC Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. That helps. I'm on day 10 of being sweets/sugar-free. So hopefully in the next week or two, those cravings will subside.

Also, your comment about the chick who posted, "Call me when y'all get serious" or whatever it was she said, made me lol. I needed that. thanks. :)
  • LadyBerlynn
    LadyBerlynn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    My Name is Amber, I'm 25 and on day one of my healthy weight loss plan. My goal is to lose 50lbs, and I'm trying it with absolutely no support from family, so I would greatly like to join this group for the much needed support. I've gained weight these last 6 years at a rate of 10lbs a year and it's only gotten worse since I went back to school. I used to have an eating disorder, but all that made me was very sick, so I'm going to try this the healthy way this time!
    Good luck to everyone!
  • penny_eclipse
    penny_eclipse Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Ok so firstly long overdue responses:

Steph/Becky: I do have a mary poppins wardrobe, and at my lowest i was between sizes at about a 10.5-11 (uk, where the sizes only go 10, 12 etc) so I wore a 12 largely due to hips, boobs and bum which no matter what happens I'll always have..(mum calls it peasant stock...others call it childbearing hips), but very occasionally I bought a 10 when they fit. And yeah...they were loose but they wern't falling off or baggy...just kinda like i could do with people cutting clothes a little bit more generously for boobs and hips... And now...the clothes are the same size, a couple I can't squeeze into, and the rest are just tight (though mainly trousers... as tops and skirts all fit fine).

Steph: Also, don't sweat the meds, just like I said to becky it's not a *real* gain. It'll come off, especially if it's a water weight gain!...

Amanda/misspinkshort: I think protein bars/whatever are great for portability, but personally they do nothing to stop my hunger, a yoghurt and a piece of fruit/some rvita (do you guys have those there, they're like wholegrain crackers) with some fat free cottage cheese and carrot sticks/even a tin of tuna i've mixed with fat free natural yoghurt are my go-to things I keep in portioned tuppaware in the fridge and often have 1 or 2 options in my bag in addition to a cereal bar incase I'm really hungry at any point.
    Also well done on the weekend, and don't sweat any small gains...it's about the bigger picture.
    And I eat whenever I'm hungry, if I'm still hungry at midnight (and when i was studying and pulling all nighters a lot) then I eat at midnight. I make sure I have good things on hand so I don't grab rubbish all the time, but personally time has never been a factor for me at all! (infact for me not eating enough is a sure fire way to stall, whereas if I have that evening snack before bed I sleep better and seem to lose more).

Carla: I'm glad you had a good time, don't sweat the slip ups...you're more than strong enough to bounce back. I hope the being back on track whilst away is going ok...it's tough even when you *should* be able to be in control!

Becky: PLEASE STOP WEIGHING! you're back on track, you're hitting it hard, you've been here long enough to know it's either still the water weight, your body saying F***YOU for daring to try and undo all it's hoarding, the extra exercise you've been doing and your muscles freaking out...or it could simply be because you're glugging so much water. I KNOW IT SUCKS even when you *KNOW* it'll come off,,,but y'know what...who cares...it's just a temporary blippy number!!! Everyone (you especially) knows it'll come off and fast..you won't give your body any other option, it'll be running scared and towing the line very soon, but give it some slack whilst it readjusts...and until them PLEASE STOP WEIGHING!!! no good can come with obsessing with the silly number when it's all about the bigger picture!
    But what I also wanted to say (other than kicking your *kitten*, just as you'd kick mine) is that you're doing awesome, murder mystery parties, going back to the gym, etc etc

hmay06: I refuse to look at the success boards ESPECIALLY when I'm in a bad mood, it only ever makes it worse (for me), infact, a lot of the forums make me want to scream...but yes youre not weird at all.

StephanieStC: I hit bumps all the time...normally every 7-10lbs I stall for a week or two and then if I stick with it it'll budge after me being more stubborn than my body. I don't deprive myself of things, if a "healthier alternative" isn't going to cut it...then I eat a smaller amount of the real stuff...or just exercise to offset a good amount of it... Some things the alternative does cut it...for example, making a homemade healthier verison of a burger with extra lean mince, loads of salad and some homemade healthy wedges skipping the bun does cut it for me...but some kind of variation on a chocolately dessert does not... I cook most of what I eat, so I chuck in WAY more vegetables to bulk out sauces and also serve it with vegetales so I can eat bigger portions (for me it often is about whether it *looks* like it's enough...so bigger portions with the same cals works better at tricking myself...for example the chilli I made yesterday had (in addition to vegetarian mince, puy lentils and kidney beans and the chopped tomato sauce...3 medium carrots, 1 leek, 2 medium onions, 2 courgettes (zuccini?), 2 yellow peppers, 1 parsnip, and probably some other stuff, but I can't remember...so it was AT LEAST 50% veggies...but at no real extra cost...

Sorry for anyone I missed!

And my update is I'm still here and I'm still doing fine. The lbs are coming off and i can see the difference it's making so I'm feeling good about that. The cycling is easier now that the snow is gone, even if the rain makes me look like a drowned rat!
    I've had a really weird queasy stomach since Friday, so it's making eating really slow (though I don't feel like I'm going to throw up all the time anymore like I did on Friday). I think it must be a bug, and it's fairly sucky, but I can't complain too much, it just makes work a bit hard, and is making me really tired.

Til next time! x
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Has a nice NSV today. I wasn't able to wear my wedding ring for over a month because it was to tight and if I try to wear it, then under my ring, my finger gets red, itchy and scaley like. So I had to put it in my jewelry box. Well today thought for the heck of it, I would try it on and it fits!!! Really missed wearing it. So yea me!!
    So we are to get another winter storm tomorrow, so that means no gym here. But I did buy a yoga for beginners, hoping to try that tomorrow when Eve is taking her nap. Eating is really well, even when TOM was here, I did good.

Penny: Hope you are feeling better and its weird how the body decides feel ick one moment then find the next, so hope its nothing major.

Welcome Amber, just jump on in, the water is fine!! Tell us what is on your mind. Good, bad and/or the ugly.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Julie
  • MrsG2
    MrsG2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So last night was my husband's night to "cook", and in non-surprising fashion, he stopped to pick up something on his way home. I don't have an issue with this...I knew it was coming and I prepared, which was good (I was under my goal at the end of the night!). My concern is that after I ate, my stomach cramped up a little bit, and only for a short period. He brought home KFC Country Fried Steak, mashed potatoes, coleslaw and biscuits. The only thing I can think is that the fried food (which I haven't eaten much of at all for the last few months) is what made my belly hurt. Could that be it, and is it normal?

Penny_Eclipse...thank you for posting this (in response to someone else):
    PLEASE STOP WEIGHING!!! no good can come with obsessing with the silly number when it's all about the bigger picture!
    Once I started seeing progress, I've been obsessed with "sneaking" on the scale every day, when I promised myself I'd only weigh in every other week. I needed this....
  • hmayo86
    hmayo86 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    MrsG--If I don't have greasy foods for a while they will totally tear up my stomach when I do eat them. I have a very sensitive stomach though, but I don't think that would be uncommon if you've stayed away from fried/greasy foods for a while. Granted I'm no doctor, that's just my experience. It makes me really think twice if I want to indulge!
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Sarah. I'm not new to MFP. I've been using it for almost three years. I reached about my halfway point and was so happy. I felt great, I comuted by bike and ate great for long enough that it became second nature. I got a second job to occupy my mind and time while my husband went off to boot camp last year. It was so easy to maintain my weight even though I had stoped working out as regulaulry and vigirously as I had been, because my diet was still the same. Flash foward to to now and my life has compleatly changed! I don't work, and we are stationed in Germany, where the beer is fantistic and the food is fatty, starchy and AMAZING. On top of that my husband and I are together again. All those factors combined made it very easy to put back on almost 45lbs of all that weight I had worked so hard to loose! So I'm back. Back to the healthy eathing and workout regimen that worked for me so well before. My life has changed and I have to adjust my fitness habits to that, which is something I'd never thought about untill it happened. Anyway, I could really use a few more freinds for support and commidary. I have a huge weight loss goal but my husband is my motivation and insperation! He lost over 100lbs to follow his dream of joining the armed forces and here he is living his dream. And if he can do it, then so can I!
  • misspinkshorts
    Options
    I have been grumpy and irritable the past few days. Im annoyed, Im exhausted. My head has been hurting and I didn't sleep well last night. TOM is right around the corner and Im already feeling the cravings. This will be the first with TOM since I've started my new, healthier life. I don't want to cave but Im dying to eat something fatty, greasy, and unhealthy and Im not even hungry. Im exhausted and need to get some sleep. Full day of classes tomorrow.

I did still workout today and plan to, tomorrow. I have also decided to stay off the scale this week. After a slight gain last week I don't think I could handle the weight gain that comes with TOM even though I know it will come right back down. So next week will be my first "official" weigh-in.

Thank you all for the speedy answers to my questions. I appreciate the responses. I will drop in tomorrow when Im not so tired and respond to ya'll.

Goodnight
    -Amanda
  • jehan
    jehan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Despite the lack of sleep for taking care of my 2-months old baby and working all day, I managed to squeeze in an hour at the gym last night. Finally after almost three weeks at the treadmill and biking, I finally lost 2 pounds. I know it's a very small number but coming from a back to back delivery via CS, that's a victory for me. I'm 11 weeks post-CS and I'm planning to start 30 day shred today. I'll just try to modify the abs and the jumping part in the video. So wish me luck guys.
  • PurpleCoookie
    Options
    I felt guilty about not working out and eating 2 slices of greasy tasty pizza.Ha I decided to work out in the middle of night to burn most of them off. Totally feel a lot better and gonna sleep better too.