Dead on or Total Jerk?

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Both. :laugh:

I agree that in order to call it a workout, you need to really push yourself. If it's easy, it's not going to do much but maintain your current fitness levels. It's better than nothing, but it's not going to make you over. I'm sure people will be offended - they always are. I found it amusing, though. Some people don't really set high fitness standards, and that's ok. But they shouldn't kid themselves and complain when they don't reach their personal fitness ideal by just walking around the block. It does take work...
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I do agree with the article that a workout should be something other than your daily activities and it should be strenuous. However, some people may need to do the activities mentioned in order to build up to more strenuous activities. I don't think it's right to judge others workouts, especially not knowing their physical condition/limitations. Live and let live.
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I <3 this. Yeah, the author of the article was a little abrasive, but if you can't take the writing, you probably can't take a serious workout either.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    This reminded me of the movie "Just go with it" Where Jennifer Anniston's character claims she stays in shape by taking the stairs, and her kid says "don't buy that line she takes spinning classes like they're m&ms. Lol. He has a point in the respect that you can't expect big changes by taking small steps.
  • Jai_LaDawn
    Jai_LaDawn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think he is dead on...a few months ago when I wasn't serious about my journey I would have called him a jerk for sure! lol I'm forwarding to some friends that need a wake-up call :)
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    That article is just bad. Not interested in workout snobs. These are the same whiners who complain about new people in "their gym". Any step to getting healthier is a good thing.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    It's true but a little harshly worded lol. I don't necessarily agree with his examples because a walk around the block with a kid actually IS difficult for someone who is very obese. However, I agree with the general idea. You gotta actually push yourself out of your comfort zone in order to make changes. It reminds me of my friend that is a waitress and claims that she doesn't have to work out because she walks around at work all day. lol I wish I could send her that article without seeming like a total b**ch. lol
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    dead on. hat tip to Dope for posting it where i could find it. it just became like the 3rd thing i have facebooked in 5 months. my FB account is damn near dead
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I think this was probably my favourite sentence from this article:

"A workout is something hard that involves pain. Pain that you willingly lap, lap, lap up out of the pain bowl"

Hehe. I'm not saying that this kind of training and lifestlye is for everyone. Not everyone has the same goals. However, I do sometimes think that people who are out of shape look at fit people and think that they must be somehow pre-disposed to being that way. The truth, it takes hard work and disipline. When your body is aching from whatever workout you've done 2 days ago you have to be prepared to go back for more of the same and push through it. Not everyone has that kind of committment in them

If the commitment doesn't exist, it must be created. I was a worthless, soft fatass for almost all of my life. It took a swift "verbal" kick in the nuts that came in the form of a searing article not too different from this one to get me moving.

I had just resigned myself to a life of suck, using the old 'bad genetics' excuse, due to the fact that my family members are all fat as hell and injury prone. However, after getting my *kitten* handed to me in text form (with plenty of evidence to support his position), I found the drive within me to make the changes.

Definitely agree that committment can be created in anyone. Anyone CAN do it it's just that not everyone wants it badly enough to put in the time and put up with the pain. It's more a matter of finding something, a goal, that is worth all the time, effort and sacrifice. Most people don't have that and a lot of people are quite happy chugging along in their comfort zone.
  • IWantToo
    IWantToo Posts: 162
    Options
    I read the article. It sounds like it was written by a younger guy with a very thick neck and a very small penis.

LOL

I liked the part that I read the bloody finger nails and calluses where a bit much lol
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would have let me read this about 5 years ago when I was really in to walking around the block and doing stomach crunches to try to lose weight...

I love the good information in it, but obviously as evidenced by some of the above comments, truth is not always welcomed if the messenger is brash.
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Dead on! Chalk those who disagree to the pathetic and delusional group he referred to.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    *snort*

Caustic, but he has a point. But ultimately it boils down to what you want to achieve, and how much effort you are prepared to put in.

I want to be muscular, athletic-looking, and fit as fock. I'm not going to get that by walking an extra stop on the bus, so I have to work hard for it. But that's not to say that my metaphorical friend, who wants to move a little bit more in her day-to-day life, is wrong for getting off a stop early.

ETA: Quoted for truth, but it's times like this that being a Brit brings a whooooole different meaning to certain Americanisms...

"If the heaviest thing you carry is a fanny pack on your mall-walking expeditions to the Latte Shoppe, well, then, guess what, that's all that your body will grow: a fanny. A big soft fanny. Is that what you want? A big soft fanny?"
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    *snort*

Caustic, but he has a point. But ultimately it boils down to what you want to achieve, and how much effort you are prepared to put in.

I want to be muscular, athletic-looking, and fit as fock. I'm not going to get that by walking an extra stop on the bus, so I have to work hard for it. But that's not to say that my metaphorical friend, who wants to move a little bit more in her day-to-day life, is wrong for getting off a stop early.

ETA: Quoted for truth, but it's times like this that being a Brit brings a whooooole different meaning to certain Americanisms...

"If the heaviest thing you carry is a fanny pack on your mall-walking expeditions to the Latte Shoppe, well, then, guess what, that's all that your body will grow: a fanny. A big soft fanny. Is that what you want? A big soft fanny?"

i loled at that part....

and i totally agree with the rest of what you say. you have to put the effort in to get REAL changes.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    "Have you seen that Planet Fitness ad, where the big dumb goon says "I lift things up and put them down," over and over, like a big dumb goon? Ha, what a big dumb goon, right? What a mindless, repetitive, boring, lifestyle he has. He just lifts things up and puts them down. What an uncreative, inside-the box workout program he has, that big dumb goon. Just lifting, and putting down. Over and over again.

GUESS WHAT THAT'S WHY HE'S A F***ING MONSTER."

Loved this part. I used to laugh at this ad,but somewhere along the way I built the habit of "I lift things up and put them down." And damn, it has made a difference.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know how he got to decide what work out and fitness means. There are a ton of words (despite words not actually weighing anything) that are used by different people to mean different things. In fact if you 'corrected' every 'incorrect' use of terminology you would start a debate that would never end as even the term correct is subjective!! Correct for who???

If you walk your dog, is it a work out - apparently not
    If you run with your dog, is it a work out - perhaps
    If you power walk, is it a work out - Those guys who can competitively walk as fast as I can run would probably say yes

At 110lbs a damn good run will get your heart pumping, make you sweat and you will feel the burn.
    At 310lbs a brisk walk would do the same thing

Oh well it's his pedestal and as long as he is happy there then who are we to complain.....and we can still lose weight, improve our health, lower our BMI and get 'fitter' without screaming or bleeding if we want to!!
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    He's "Dead on".
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    OK, so the guy is abrasive. But I don't read many success stories that say "I lost 100 lbs by cutting out soda and walking around the block 5 nights a week."
    If your only goal is to be able to move a little more, more power to you. Me, I'm 47 years old and a grandfather, and I plan on backpacking the Grand Canyon on my 50th birthday.
  • roolmc
    roolmc Posts: 47
    Options
    He's a jerk. Being causally more active is better then being sedentary and for many people that's a good start. Let's not put them off.